Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is My pouch stretched?

I am 6 months out and down 80 pounds. I am now realizing I can consume a lot more food even chocolate, bread, rice and Pasta with no side affects. Does anyone think I have malabsorption problems or have stretched my pouch? If so... What do I do? I still have 53 pounds to go to reach my goal weight. Please help, I have downloaded my fitness pal app to start tracking my calories and nutrition.

I am in the same situation. I can eat anything without side affects (unfortunately!). But, that is no excuse. We just have to be stronger and avoid those things as much as possible. I don't think we have stretched the pouch, though if I'm wrong, I hope somebody says so!! I also don't think you (or we) have malabsorption problems. But I don't know why this is. I really can't decide if I really can eat a lot or if I am just satisfied earlier so I "think" I am eating as much. Not sure yet. But I am really trying to be good.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just try to stay away from a lot of carbs and sugar. I am one year out and I eat some Pasta or even a slice of pizza once in awhile. You just have to keep track of eating habits. Don't eat out of boredom or emotional situations. Call your dietician if your worried, that will make you feel better.

According to the dr @ the support group I attend, the pouch doesn't stretched back out ... I was shocked to hear that. I can eat any type of food, even really sweet items.

You will have to stand strong to keep the weight off, mine has bounced. But now I am having to work it back off, I can blame many things ... but in the end it's my fault.

Just keep working to get the weight off, and make sure you take that extra step to keep it at a HEALTHY level.

I'm in the identical situation. Ten months out, 80 lost, 50 more to go, 5 months stalled. I am frustrated that I can taste new things and not suffer the consequences. I am really very strict and religious with my intake, but need to boost my weight loss again. I don't want to be past the 18 months and still weigh 180! I really want to go to the 100lb mark so that I can begin to plan for skin removal surgery. I don't know how to answer any of these questions.

You will see A LOT of debate on this and not even all doctors agree. Personally, I 100 % believe you can stretch a pouch, but probably because I saw mine stretch out from my sleeve and thats why I revised to mini bypass. Also, I worked for years with bypass patients who gained their weight back after stretching their pouches and came in for band over bypass procedures. That being said, it's also important to remember the first year is the honeymoon period and the further out you get the harder it will be to lose. This doesn't always mean stretched pouch, it can also mean your body is just used to things now so its up to you to be diligent about eating and exercise if you want to get to and stay at goal. Year two is where the real work begins.

I am 7 years post op from my gastric bypass surgery. I am able to consume much more than I was able to in the begining. I see my surgery team regularly (2-3 times a year) to keep on track, be reminded of the correct way to live as a gastric bypass patient, and to make sure my Vitamins ect are all where they need to be. I was told the pouch does not stretch, however there are many causes to weight gain (I have gained about 60lbs in the past 7 years) and prevent weight loss after surgery so I work closley with my surgery team. Grazing is a huge no-no and I am guilty of it. Eating ANYTHING that is not on the perscribed list of foods is a no-no and just sends you right back to old habits and ways of eating. Drinking Fluid to soon after your meal or with your meal is not a good thing, the fluid pushes the food out of your pouch where you get the satisfied full feeling and leaves you being able to put more food into your body. Not eating Protein first everytime you eat will leave you feeling unsatisfied and will not keep you full until the next time you eat (it takes 3-4hrs to proccess protien in your body). You have to keep good habits and follow the rules even if you don't have dumping like most of us do when we eat foods our pouch doesn't like. Just because you can eat it doesn't mean that you should. If you want to loose the rest of your weight to reach your goal you need to instill a new way of eating and relationship with food.

Edited by diva83

esponses

Thank you for all the responses. I have gone to a nutrionist and they how lowered my caloric intake 1000 a day. I realize, I need to continue eating the proper way and I still need to focus. It's so easy to to slip into bad habits. I'm still very frustrated., but I'm sure I will figure out.