Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Walking shoes? Help

I have now worked my way up to a vigorous walk everyday for about 35 min. The only thing I have to complain about is not having very good walking shoes.

I am now 190 lbs and have been wearing Birkenstock's for far too many years and my foot has spread to a wide size at the toes. Does anyone have any recommendations for a shoe that I won't have to mortgage my home for?

Edited by Homecie

U can buy a pair of Ryka's online for about $75. They're Swedish and made just for womens feet (no mens shoes available). When I lived in Germany from 1996-2000, I fell in luv with them. When ur running everyday (in the Army) it's a necessity to have good shoes. I think they come in wide also. And they're true to size. I think Womens Foot Locker also sells them if u like to try on shoes before buying them.

I swear by Rykas.

I switch between my Rykas (they're getting a little worn) and a good pair of New Balance I bought for $30 at Big 5. NB's are my 2nd fav brand. Hate Reebok and Nike. Oh and Big 5 has fantastic sales on fitness shoes all the time. If u have one close, I suggest u try them out...

Edited by marfar7

I have been a fan of Brooks shoes for years. They run around 120.00 but the comfort is well worth it. i see it as a good investment when i am walking so much.

New Balance has my vote.

I love my New Balance shoes. I also have a pair of these walking shoes by Clark and I have to say they are the most comfortable walking shoes I have ever owned. They are a little on the pricy side though, at least to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Wave-Trek-Lace-Up-Fashion-Sneaker/dp/B0072GC6L6

+1 on New Balance. The have a huge variety of sizes and widths, as well as something in most every price range. Plus a lot of shoe stores carry them. You can definitely find something that feels great on your feet!

I love my Skechers, I work on cement floors so comfy well built shoes are a must for work and walking. I wear them with a good heel guard. They cost btwn $55 and $70 , not sure if theres a selection of wide sizes. Love them !!!

I also like my new balance shoes. I got a man's size as they run wider and I need that. I found a pair at Marshall's ... It might help to be sized by a professional. ( you don't have to but their brand) so you know just what is right for your feet. I found out one foot is longer than the other. Who knew?? Good luck. I'm of the opinion we all need sturdy well fitting shoes to help us

I used to run/speed walk 3-5 miles a day before my back gave out. I am very picky about walking shoes and have tried many brands. My #1 favorites are Brooks but they are about $110+ a pair. My second favorites are Asics because they tend to have a wider toe box (for the front of your foot) than any other brand I have tried and they also have good arch support. The thing to watch out for with Asics is they make them at different price points. The ones that have a suggested retail of over $70 tend to have more cushion & support IMO. I always watch for the pricey models to go on clearance and grab them when they get to $50 or less. They come out with updated models regularly so as long as you don't mind last seasons colors you can get a great pair of shoes for a very reasonable price. I like 6pm.com for great sales on good shoes.

Let us know if you find any great shoes too! I am always looking for new ones to try as my everyday shoes.

Thank you,Thank you all for your input. It has saved me time and money and disappointment in not looking at cheap lousy walking shoes. Happy exercise to all whatever it many be

I love Brooks. As a runner, I go through shoes pretty quickly. I've found I can get last year's Brooks for $40-50. I just bought a pair of Brooks PureCadence 2 for $40. The new model is selling for $100.

@@deedadumble where do you buy your outdated running shoes? A particular online store, or do you buy in meatspace? I am going to be looking for running shoes soon (I promised myself a pair when I get halfway through my 5K app, one more week to go!) and I would like to get decent shoes without breaking the bank.

I love my Brooks Pure Cadence and I find them for less than half price on eBay--new.

@@Homecie I started wearing Sole brand inserts in whatever shoes I am wearing -- what a huge difference that support makes. You take out the inserts from the sneakers and put these in -- they lift up the arch in just the right way. Even still the sneakers themselves have to be replaced at intervals as the foam goes hard and no longer offers the cushioned support. The Sole orthotic inserts are just as good if not better than custom ones I got though a podiatrist and now podiatrists are just telling people to go get Soles.

I also have Vionics shoes which have a built-in footbed with an orthopedic arch. I wore Birkenstocks for years, too, and need this footbed now. They have clogs, sandals, etc. Warning -- very comfortable and a little addictive. Have fun!

+1 on the Brooks!