Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fuel to the motivational fire!

I am on vacation with my family and I was giving my son a bath in this gigantic jacuzzi that is surrounded my mirrors when I got a real good look T myself. ????

Later I was going through my mom's camera when I came to pics if me singing at my aunt and uncle's birthday party ????

It is NOT a good look AT ALL!!!!

So, when it was time to eat that massive Thanksgiving meal I helped prepare, I put half of what I normally would eat on my plate and I didn't eat all of that. Who knew all these yeArs I wasn't really hungry....just greedy ????????

I am so excited about this surgery! And I can't wait for my date!!

Glad to hear you are finding your motivation, BUT I would like to hear more self compassion. You aren't healthy right now and are taking steps to fix this. FABULOUS!

Edited by BeagleLover

Beagle Lover, I have to disagree, Even though someone is overweight does not mean they are not healthy. I am 58 years and have always been healthy even at my heaviest. I have never had any problems with my health, my cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure, EKG's (which at a certain age become part of your physical), stress test, nuclear stress test have always been in the normal range. You can be overweight and healthy the same as you can be thin and unhealthy.

For me it was seeing a pic of my mother and then hear her talk about starting up her diet again (for the millionth time) in January. I realized that's me in 20 years, and that is just not what I want.

Also, a hallway. I was walking down a hall (which is quite large enough for two people to easily pass each other in opposite directions), and someone turned their shoulder in to give me more room to pass. Totally mortiphied by that. I really don't see myself that big, but I guess I'm wrong.

For me it was seeing a pic of my mother and then hear her talk about starting up her diet again (for the millionth time) in January. I realized that's me in 20 years, and that is just not what I want.

Also, a hallway. I was walking down a hall (which is quite large enough for two people to easily pass each other in opposite directions), and someone turned their shoulder in to give me more room to pass. Totally mortiphied by that. I really don't see myself that big, but I guess I'm wrong.

That's how I felt when I looked in the mirrors (3 of them...all angles) and looked at those pictures! I never felt like I was as big as I really am.

@@BeagleLover

I am healthy but I understand what you mean about more self compassion. It's an off and on thing for me. Sometimes in very confident then sometimes I'm beating myself up for allowing it to get this bad. But I am taking the steps to fix it.

Beagle Lover, I have to disagree, Even though someone is overweight does not mean they are not healthy. I am 58 years and have always been healthy even at my heaviest. I have never had any problems with my health, my cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure, EKG's (which at a certain age become part of your physical), stress test, nuclear stress test have always been in the normal range. You can be overweight and healthy the same as you can be thin and unhealthy.

I want to make clear from the outset that my comment was/is not meant as a slight of any kind.

The bottom line is, it depends upon, as what you define as overweight. For each height, there is an "ideal", an underweight and an overweight. The literature seems to suggest that, within these bounds, there is no major change in health. It is whenever go from overweight to severely obese. Just like Type 2 diabetes, it's a war of attrition. Severe obesity takes a toll on the body over time. I was responding to a woman that is 5' tall and weighs nearly 300 pounds. After several years of carrying nearly 200lbs. of excess weight, blood tests may be fine, but joints will very likely need to be replaced. Our bodies were not designed to carry 150 - 200lb. knapsacks 24/7 without consequences.

My husband is from eastern Kentucky and had many relatives that lived past 100 yrs. old. He was consulting with a doctor regarding a hernia operation. The doctor told him that the chances of success would be much improved if he lost some weight. At the time, he weighed 265 and was 5'10" tall. My husband told him that he never had much of an incentive to concentrate on weight reduction because all the blood work etc. was fine. His blood pressure was 105/80, his cholesterol was < 140, heart rate in the mid 60's; he had no abnormalities whatsoever in blood tests. He also shared the fact that he had these relatives that lived to ripe old ages. The doctor smiled and said, "How many of those folks that lived into their 90's and beyond weighed as much as you do?"

I reiterate that I think WLS is a great choice for her and wish her the best.

Edited by BeagleLover