Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm too new to b able to post on the vets forum, but I was just wondering.... Who's been a vet the longest? I've seen posts from people who are about 4 yrs out, but nothing beyond that. Anyone over five years? Has VGS been an option that long?

So I am now about 19 months post op and so close to goal! I have a question that I wonder if others have asked themselves. I figure I have at least 12 pounds of extra skin. Do you ever mentally tell yourself that I weigh this much but actually if I subtracted (for myself) 12 pounds I probably weigh this much? I am trying to decide if I really need to lose more. I weigh 161 with the extra skin and my ultimate goal for myself is 150. So do you think I am actually close to that goal or should I go for another 10 pounds?

No, I have never done that.

My weight is what I weigh.

@@beach lover, When I had my Tummy Tuck I was not big. I had a little pooch (and I do mean little) that would never go away because of a previous c-section. My plastic surgeon removed 5 lbs of skin. I'm still blown away by that. My pooch wasn't even big enough to grab; pinch yes, grab no, and it wasn't loose, hanging skin.

So the answer to your question is yes, you probably are at your goal weight minus the skin. The best way to find out is to start going to plastic surgery consultations. The surgeon needs to physically palpate (feel) your fat to gauge whether it is dense or not.

Skin that does not have a lot of dense fat will produce amazing results in the right surgeon's hands. Once I was all healed up and the swelling had subsided, I was exactly (to the ounce) 5 pounds smaller than my weight the morning of surgery.

@@beach lover, When I had my Tummy Tuck I was not big. I had a little pooch (and I do mean little) that would never go away because of a previous c-section. My plastic surgeon removed 5 lbs of skin. I'm still blown away by that. My pooch wasn't even big enough to grab; pinch yes, grab no, and it wasn't loose, hanging skin.

So the answer to your question is yes, you probably are at your goal weight minus the skin. The best way to find out is to start going to plastic surgery consultations. The surgeon needs to physically palpate (feel) your fat to gauge whether it is dense or not.

Skin that does not have a lot of dense fat will produce amazing results in the right surgeon's hands. Once I was all healed up and the swelling had subsided, I was exactly (to the ounce) 5 pounds smaller than my weight the morning of surgery.

Thank you! That is what I was thinking.................I wasn't trying to handicap my weight loss never even gave that a thought in that way. I just wanted to have a realistic view of where I actually am. I will probably still go on and lose a few more pounds for safety sake. It is coming off extremely slow now but still going down. I think if I lost much more it might back fire on me and make me look older and fluctuate up and down. This will only result in head games and I am never going there again! Thanks for your input!

Wow, great question! And a great answer! As someone who is within 10 lbs of goal, this is fascinating. I'm still going for the goal, but it makes one wonder.....

Wow, great question! And a great answer! As someone who is within 10 lbs of goal, this is fascinating. I'm still going for the goal, but it makes one wonder.....

It's something I have been pondering. I was watching Extreme Weight Loss and several people had the same body type as myself and about the same amount of loose skin. This made me think about how much I actually weigh verses what the scale says. I too am going to continue on with the weight loss I am 161 one and my goal is 160 but my ultimate goal is 150 just to give me the extra safe zone. So I figure if I get to 150 and win the lottery I can have the skin removed and probably weigh about 10 pounds less. I have to win the lottery first though! :) Definitely don't want to go any lower than that though I want it to be manageable without the head games!

Edited by Beach Lover