Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Dec12. What should I know?

Have been wanting this for almost a year now and it will happen for me on Dec 12th at 8:30 am. My dream of becoming a healthier me is coming true. What should I know about what I need to bring to the hospital? And what other advise you can share with me?

The best advice I can give is that day 2 and 3 are the worst! Of course everyone is different but for me, I was not a happy camper. By day 4 I started to feel a bit better every day! I am now 10 days out, doing so much more, looking forward to going back to work on Monday, and learning to adapt to the new me. If, in the beginning, you feel a bit hopeless, just know it will pass! Good luck!

Carmex! My lips were so dry the day and night of surgery since I wasn't allowed anything to eat or drink until the next day. The Carmex really helped.

I've just begun my journey to a healthier me. Ive been struggling all my life wit my weight. I'm tired of the looks, the frowns, ant the reticule but most of all im tired of these yo yo diets that promise healthier and sexier but it only last for a month or so. So here I am. Startin my journey. I just went to the seminar last week and my first appt is Dec 4th what all should I expect?

You'll find out if your insurance covers bariatric surgery and, if so, whether or not you meet the criteria. You'll be able to discuss with your doctor which WLS surgery is most appropriate for you.

You'll get set up with however many nutrition classes your insurance requires. It's important not to miss one because you may have to start over.

You'll learn about Protein shakes and Vitamins so you can get and stay healthy.

@@Patti goldsmith, I suggest telling the doctor you would like to get your pain meds through the IV. The nurses tried to give me a really big pill I knew I couldn't get down right after surgery.

The other thing is to tell your doctor that you want the gas taken out before surgery ends.

Ask to take the catheter out before surgery too , it forces you to get up n start moving , THE MORE YOU WALK THE BETTER YOU LL FEEL, I say that to my self everytime I take a short walk, I'm in day three still struggling????

After the newness wears off, the pain meds are no longer needed and you start into mushies - that is when work really begins. This isn't easy, it's difficult and life long. Your relationship with food completely changes. I no longer eat something as it's on my plate... if it doesn't taste amazing, it's not worth it. I've become picky, choose what to make my family for dinner very carefully and enjoy preparing good, delicious food. My grocery bill has gone up because we aren't eating fast food, pizza or processed junk. Taste buds change and I'm more conscious of taste, texture and saltiness. You learn to listen to what your sleeve says and to stop before you get sick and slime.... have loads of patience with yourself and others. Feels like a wild ride. Don't get attached to your clothes as your going to breeze thru sizes. Be ok with plateaus.... they happen and can last 3 weeks or more. Breath and rely on other sleevers for experience when strange things happen and they will. Hope that helps. Get ready for a huge, amazing lifestyle change. You may mourn your former self where you might have been able to eat a whole sandwich. Now, you will get full after eating 1/2. Also, anticipate that it will take you a lot longer to eat a meal than a non-sleever. Hang in there. I'm nearly 3 months out.