Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect after Gastric Sleeve?

I have decided to do a gastric sleeve surgery to assist me in getting to a healthy weight. I am a 40 year old male and I currently weight about 295 at 5-10. However I have zero weight related health issues right now, as I am a very athletic 290. I exercise a good amount, lift weights,cardio,martial arts,boxing mountain biking, ect ect.. But I carry an excessive amount of body fat, some where in the 33-35% range.

I have has an issue with my weight all my life and work out just to maintain what I am now, I simply can not control the addiction to food that I know I have. I know HOW to eat, and I know WHAT Im supposed to be eating, I just dont do it. I will get on health kicks and eat right for several weeks at a time and see zero change in the scale and get frustrated and go right back to bad habits that have been developed over 40 years.

My mothers side is extremely obese, in fact her brother was 680lbs when he died of stage 4 stomach cancer at 53 years old. My fathers side is normal, so I have been teetering on the fence all my life. Most of my childhood I was EXTREMELY obese. I graduated grammar school at 13 years of age at 250lbs. I graduated high school at 218 lbs after discovering exercise and eating better. I maintained 225-245 lbs most of my adult life until my kids came along at 33 years of age where I ballooned up to 320lbs and stopped working out due to back injuries.

Several years ago I went on a no carb diet with excessive amounts of Protein and dropped to 270lbs and looked and felt pretty good, but it was an impossible diet to maintain and triggers like my uncle passing away and my father passing away set me back into a downward spiral of bad eating.

I decided after seeing many friends do the surgery and have weight loss of 100+lbs, that I need to do this for myself and my kids...My reasoning is this, YOU SIMPLY DO NOT SEE ANY 300 LB 80 YEAR OLDS.

I met with 2 doctors and chose Dr. Bertha out of New Brunswick. I really like his personality, and approach and something he said in the seminar really sold me on it. He said " I feel as if I have the cure for cancer and no one will listen to me".. This really hit me on so many levels, cause for a long time I did believe obesity was not a disease and I simply had bad habits, but now I know with my genetics combined with my upbringing and lack of healthy choices in the kitchen I didnt stand a chance. This is why I praise my wife on a daily basis for keeping our kids fit and healthy with their foods and exercise. I really wish my mother pushed me to participate in a healthy lifestyle from a young age.

Recently my workouts have gotten less aggressive due to an injury that ultimately was gonna require surgery and I notice my weight creeping from 280's-290's, so I planned to have both surgeries within a 6 week period so as to minimize my down time form work and inactivity.

I just underwent shoulder surgery on Nov13 th and was scheduled for the gastric sleeve surgery on Dec 8th, but a post operative blood clot caused me to postpone until Jan 12th.

My big fears of doing this are the unknown of how my body will react to it. Im a big solid guy with a lot of muscle and strength and fear I might get too thin where I look malnourished or sickly. I have been to the seminars and asked questions of the Doctors, I just want some real world perspective and stories of what to REALLY expect after this procedure? I dont want to feel as if I ruined myself for life,yet I also dont want to fail at this. Im convinced that if I shed my excess weight I can and will maintain it, I just need a drastic jump start to help me get in the right mindset.

My ideal weight is around 215-225lbs long term, as I said I have a muscular frame.

Edited by JerseyJules

Are you going out of the states? Because in the U.S. you are supposedly only able to get bariatric surgery if you over 40 BMI or if you have health complaints related to obesity, such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, etc.'

Edit: Oops, forgot self-pay. So I guess you are paying for this out of pocket?

Edited by Proud2BMe

Are you going out of the states? Because in the U.S. you are supposedly only able to get bariatric surgery if you over 40 BMI or if you have health complaints related to obesity, such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, etc.'

5'10" 295 = 42 BMI

You have what is essential if you want to tackle any problem - you have a good mind. You have realistically and dispassionately evaluated yourself, and you know your weak points and your triggers. You know the origins of your tendency toward putting on weight. You should be commended for putting so much thought into your situation.

You seem to have what many people have and that is a Portion Control problem and are an emotional eater: food equals LOVE. BUT you seem to have a spouse who will be supportive, since she is careful with what she feeds the kids. She will support whatever you need to accomplish your goal. These are all good things.

Did anyone mention that in getting a sleeve gastrectomy, the surgeon cuts away a large part of the stomach which secretes a hormone which causes cravings? Ask him about it. I have experienced a drastic reduction in cravings. I no longer crave bread and wheat paroducts. It is good because wheat contains gluten and gluten can cause inflamation and aches and pains. This part of the stomach might grow back in time (years) and you ought to be cognizant of that.

After surgery, things which you liked the taste of, you suddenly might not like the taste of. It sounds strange, but I was a sugar addict but after the surgery, a lot less so. The Protein drinks I had to drink at first tasted good, but now are too sweet for me. I hope you get a nutritionist counselor with your surgery. He/she will tell you that there are many Protein Drinks available and tell you which ones to try.

As to getting too skinny and looking weak - You will be taking Protein and Vitamin supplements to make sure you will not lose muscle. Follow your nutritionist's rules. There are a million ways to cheat the weight loss and put back the weight (unfortunately). The sleeve is only a tool. You can restretch your stomach back to its original big size over time, but do not do that!

Another thing: Most of your weight will come off in the first year. That is your "Honeymoon Period" when the weight will fall off the easiest. Take advantage of that fact. What you will enjoy the most, I think, is the freedom you will get from not being a slave to food. I can walk by the bakery and not go nuts! I do not crave sweet, greasy, gooy-goop any longer. Food does not mean what it used to! You will understand that the refrigerator is NOT your friend. It has always been your enemy! HA!

This is another benefit: Since you will not be as tempted as you have been by food, it will not be a strain NOT to buy stuff that your entire family should not be eating. You will go by the cookie aisle without suffering. This will be good for the kids and everyone. My husband lost 5 pounds in the last 2 months only because we were simply not buying the things I craved. Your weightloss will have beneficial effects all around.

There was a story in the Wall Street Journal a week or so ago about intestinal bacteria, which said that some of our rising obesity problems might be related to the "bad" bacteria living in our gut, because the "good" bacteria has been killed off by antibiotics (both what we have taken as drugs and the antibiotics fed to animals). You might want to Google that. I found it interesting. I think the surgery stops some cravings, and changes the intestinal bacteria as well.

That's all I can think of now. I commend you on your clearheaded thinking. You will be all right.

No insurance is covering it 100% my BMI (body mass index) is 42% I posted my actual body fat % there is a difference.

@@JerseyJules

Oh, okay. I thought that was your BMI. Good luck to you.

Edited by Proud2BMe

You have what is essential if you want to tackle any problem - you have a good mind. You have realistically and dispassionately evaluated yourself, and you know your weak points and your triggers. You know the origins of your tendency toward putting on weight. You should be commended for putting so much thought into your situation.

You seem to have what many people have and that is a Portion Control problem and are an emotional eater

You pretty much nailed it..I eat with my mind,not my gut. I eat larger than normal portions cause i was never given portion control as a child. I also eat when Im not even hungry simply because my mind is telling me Im supposed to be eating something right now. I eat out of boredom, stress and depression.

The vicious cycle is when you start eating like crap, it is very hard to get out of that rut. I often get frustrated and discourage and figure,what's the point of eating right since I don't see any progress,Then it goes back to eating like crap. I'm tired of being a slave to food, I just want to have a normal eating pattern.

I have been to nutritionists and told them exactly what I know I should be eating, but just cant bring myself to stick with it due to lack of motivation. I also crave sweets, thats my big downfall sweets and carbs..Hell,Im surprised I dont have diabetes yet, I dont know how I dont honestly..

Im just afraid of ruining myself where I cant eat anything and I get depressed from that.... This is one of the scariest things I ever decided to do and honestly hope Im doing the right thing.

I guess Im trying to decide if Im fat enough to do this drastic of a step in my life, cause honestly I can hold a bodyweight of 240lbs and look and feel fantastic I would just look a little out of shape. When I was down to 215 in my life, I looked a little to thin for my frame,IMHO.

On the same hand, I know I will not stick with any diet plan any nutritionist gives me right now and be happy. My general attitude is "Been there done that,whats the point"... I almost feel the surgery will be a sort of "human shock collar" to force me to maintain healthy habits with results that will make me want to maintain it.

Bottom line... the only thing this surgery will do is reduce the amount of food that your stomach can hold at one time. that's the only guarantee. EVERYTHING else is up to you. Sure, you will have a honeymoon period where you may not have certain cravings, things will taste different and you may not even be hungry at all. All of these happened to me. But as time goes on, your normal hunger and cravings may very well return. 3 months postop is different from 6 months which is different from a year which is different than 5 years. The hunger hormone is produced in other parts of the body as well as the part of the stomach they removed, so don't think you won't feel hungry. And surgery does nothing to fix your head. Check out the veteran's forum for people years out. In the end, it still comes down to YOU making the right choices.

I'm not saying these things to talk you out of having VSG, I'm just trying to be realistic. I wouldn't trade my surgery for anything. The sleeve gave me the opportunity to lose the weight I could never have lost on my own. And those first 6 months helped me establish new, healthy eating habits that I can only hope stay with me. I've lost over 100% of my excess weight and have maintained for about 3 months. but I still consider myself a newbie at this...I've learned that so much can change in a short time. Spend some time on these forums, especially the posts from the veterans. I think what they have to share is more important than anything. The surgical part lasts a few months...the mental and emotional part lasts a lifetime.

good luck.

Edited by Kindle

Good post, Kindle.

I will add that your realistic expectations should be about 50-60% of the excess weight. That is the average weight lost with the sleeve. If you need to lose more then you will have to increase your exercise and physical activity as well as decrease your caloric intake. Also, the overwhelming majority of sleeved people will indeed gain some weight back.

When you first have the sleeve don't confuse the size of your stomach in the first 3-6 months after surgery. It's actually going to be bigger than you expected and in time you will be able to eat far more than you first did. This can lead to stretching if you aren't careful.

I understand. I just need a kick start undoing 40 years of abuse to my eating habits. Like a reset button. And realistically I just want to lose about 60-70 lbs. My BMI should be about 175. I know I don't have the frame for that low of a weight.

Edited by JerseyJules

I agree with the other posters.

This tool will help you so much.

I never imagined I could eat 1000 calories a day and feel full and satisfied.

With me I was constantly dieting up and down and up and down. Nothing was dramatic in loss and the pounds kept getting higher on the ups.

But. It is a total change to everything you've known. You can have total disgust for seeing others overeating a meal you not only love but you yourself would have had seconds.

You know going anywhere that you are limited and eating is different because your sleeve has a mind of its own.

Is it doable. Absolutely. And when you are playing with the kids in the park, or just walking up the stairs and not getting winded, you'll think why didn't I do this sooner.

I think your body will find a good weight maintenance. You seem to have a muscular build already. So if you maintain your workouts and keep to the dietary requirements I think you will keep a build you are happy with.

Best to you for a great choice and clear thinking. It's work but it's worth it.

Jules:

I have to amend my statements a little further. You have a lot going for you IF you choose to do a sleeve at this point. That you are undecided, tells me something additional, though.

The only thing I think you are missing is ... MISERY. True, you seem to be annoyed with yourself and want to change your habits, but I sense no desperation, no misery in your words. If you read some of the posts about what finally made other people choose bariatric surgery, most have a deep feeling of sadness and misery - either from the way they have been treated by society, or the embarassment they have endured while in their obese state.

As for me, I was (am) miserable being fat. My physical body was suffering (blood pressure, knees, you name it. My self-esteem is still suffering.)

Don't get me wrong, I think you could do this bariatric thing in a snap. I think you would be very successful. I think it would lengthen your life. But I don't think you have a sense of total commitment yet. You need commitment to follow all the rules of eating and behavior modification and nutritional supplements that you will have to follow. At your present state, you may have to wait a few years ... until your knees, sugar levels, blood pressure, (and whatever) give you no other choice. And when the kids at the supermarket checkout start to call you, "Mr." and "Sir."

I came to the conclusion that I had no other choice - it was bariatric surgery or I was going to die in pain and misery. Life or death. You are still a comparatively young guy. There is no shame in thinking about it a bit longer. You may have to sit like a caged tiger in your cage of fat until you arrive in a mindset where you are throwing yourself against the bars of your fat cage, screaming, "Let me the f^@# outta here!" When you are emotionally screaming that, you will be really ready.

Jules:

I have to amend my statements a little further. You have a lot going for you IF you choose to do a sleeve at this point. That you are undecided, tells me something additional, though.

The only thing I think you are missing is ... MISERY. True, you seem to be annoyed with yourself and want to change your habits, but I sense no desperation, no misery in your words. If you read some of the posts about what finally made other people choose bariatric surgery, most have a deep feeling of sadness and misery - either from the way they have been treated by society, or the embarassment they have endured while in their obese state.

As for me, I was (am) miserable being fat. My physical body was suffering (blood pressure, knees, you name it. My self-esteem is still suffering.)

Don't get me wrong, I think you could do this bariatric thing in a snap. I think you would be very successful. I think it would lengthen your life. But I don't think you have a sense of total commitment yet. You need commitment to follow all the rules of eating and behavior modification and nutritional supplements that you will have to follow. At your present state, you may have to wait a few years ... until your knees, sugar levels, blood pressure, (and whatever) give you no other choice. And when the kids at the supermarket checkout start to call you, "Mr." and "Sir."

I came to the conclusion that I had no other choice - it was bariatric surgery or I was going to die in pain and misery. Life or death. You are still a comparatively young guy. There is no shame in thinking about it a bit longer. You may have to sit like a caged tiger in your cage of fat until you arrive in a mindset where you are throwing yourself against the bars of your fat cage, screaming, "Let me the f^@# outta here!" When you are emotionally screaming that, you will be really ready.

Oh dont get me wrong, I am miserable and disgusted with myself for the fact that I simply cant control this one little god damn thing in my life..I cant stop overeating and eating bad, I have absolutely ZERO willpower right now.This disgusts me,the way I feel in my clothes disgust me..Im just disgusted with myself right now and have absolutely made up my mind that I absofuckinglutely NEED this to make me change my behavior. I cant get where I want to be by myself.

I'm tired of being a big guy, I just want to be a normal sized guy that can walk into any store and buy clothes that fit. im tired of being a 2XL and a 44 waist...Trust me, Im ready for this, I just want to get it done before it gets way too late in life and Im not only overweight but unhealthy and overweight.. Im also tired of working out hard with no results cause I eat them away...

Edited by JerseyJules

After doing some research and weighing my options I think I am going to go with the LapBand instead. Im going to speak with my doctor tomorrow and go over my options, as I kind of feel I am way to healthy to cut 3/4's of my stomach out and feel I will get better regulation with the LapBand. I will post up what I choose.

Take your time. Ask your doctor everything that comes to mind. The Lap-Band has been used successfully by many people. Drew Carey and the guys from Pawn Stars have used the Band. Read some of the posts here relating to the Band. Nothing is perfect. Some people get scar tissue with the Band, some don't. Ask your insurance guy (if you are going through an insurance company) if they will pay for a removal of a Band, or a switch from a Band to a Sleeve ... just in case you get a Band but then go for a Sleeve.

I wanted a Band at first, because I thought it could be removed and offered me more flexibility in options, but after weighing my options further and finding out that my insurance would pay for a Band and its removal (if I needed it), but would NOT pay for a subsequent Sleeve,( if I needed it) I decided to go with the Sleeve.

In some ways, a Band seems like less of a commitment, but I am not sure it is less. I know that when you get a Sleeve, the part of the stomach which they take out contains the appetite hormone, so that you are not hungry. I do not know how that works with a Band. I do not know if after a Band one will still be hungry but not be ABLE to eat. You have to determine how you might feel - but ask your doctor first.