Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Catheter?....

My sleeve date is Dec.16 and I know it sounds crazy but I am nervous about getting a catheter during surgery. Dr said they put in in once I'm knocked out and take it out before I wake up, but just the thought makes me cringe. Did any of you guys have this done?

Hi Tim....I had a cath placed that was in until the next day. It's not fun but it's no big deal. If they remove it when you wake up, even easier. :-)

You're not being crazy. I was nervous about everything; the tube down my throat, being nauseous or throwing up after surgery...but once I got into the operating room (I actually walked into the operating room), I don't remember anything. I got a patch behind my ear for nausea plus something in the IV. Don't remember anything in my throat at all, wasn't even that sore. A few days later felt like a sore throat but it was mild compared to what I imagined. If you have a good doctor and are going to a good hospital, try not to worry. I read so many horror stories that I thought I was going to cancel the surgery but so glad i went through with it. I did gain 12.5 lbs from the Fluid but lost that within a week and I'm down 21 lbs in one month and off 2/3 of my meds. So happy I had this done and you will be too! Good Luck!

Edited by Judy Rella

i had one when i went under and it was there until i started walking.my nurse and i had a good joke talking about "just the tip" good times i hope i dont have to get that again.

Hey Tim, don't worry about it too much. It's standard surgical procedure. I had mine in until the next day post-op. It's just no big deal. Didn't even hurt that much when they removed it, just a bit of stinging. The stinging continued for the first few times I peed on my own, and then it went away. No sweat.

Thanks guys. I sure it will be fine. I go for my final preop visit with my surgeon next week. He is suppose to go over everything with me. I'll keep y'all updated.

Shooting it straight Bro, if I could've not had it, I would've picked that option. More annoying than painful. Just the stinging as mentioned. They do put it in while you're out..but you'll know its there when you get back to your room from surgery.

My nurse seemed to enjoy the fact that I didn't like it. She told me I was an ornery patient..& threatened to "pull the junk cord" if I didn't get it together! It was a PITA, but I made the best of it.

I understand where you are coming from. My wife laughs because I'm more nervous about the catheter than the surgery itself.

Good news! I had my last preop appt and the Dr said I should not need a catheter. He said they only put one in if something goes wrong or if it seems necessary. WHEW!

I just had mine yanked out today. At first it sucked when it was there. Constant stinging, especially when ever it was bumped or moved. But after a few hours didn't even notice it. Taking it out on the other hand was omg not fun... Not really painful, except for the tape on my hairy legs, but just uncomfortable as they pull what seems like a three meter long garden hose out.

Mine was put in after I was out and removed before leaving surgery easy no problem at all, not even the breathing was no big deal , just very sore after surgery , I'm six days out

I just got sleeved Dec 1st, no catheter. I had spinal fusion years ago and woke up with a catheter, what a blessing that was, really. The guy in the room with me didn't, he had to use a jug A LOT, make a mess if he couldn't do it right in all his pain. Meanwhile I just had to deal with me resting and not deal with peeing. It wasn't a big deal. As long as you have a nurse who knows how to do it right with lube, there shouldn't be too much discomfort that you should fear it. Some nurses are better than others. They have to FULLY deflate the balloon on the end that keeps it lodged in the bladder, otherwise it will HURT coming out.

Inserting a hose through "that" hole literally scares the living piss out of me!

Me too! I was relieved when the Dr said I don't have to have one!!

I loved having a catheter... I was worried before going into surgery about it but after surgery it's the last thing on your mind. Its no big deal I loved mine! !!