Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Are Your Thanksgiving Plans?

What Are Your Thanksgiving Plans?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How do you plan to approach Thanksgiving dinner this year?

• I’m hosting Thanksgiving dinner, so I’ll make the traditional meal plus include one or two low-calorie dishes, like salad, to make sure I can eat without going over my limits.
    • I’m going to the home of friends or family for Thanksgiving, so I’ll bring a healthy dish to share, like salad. I’ll just munch on it if I have to, if there’s nothing else there I can eat.
    • I’ll stick to one small serving of all my favorites. I’ll probably go over my usual calorie limits, but it’s okay.
    • No problem! What better way is there to get your protein in than to enjoy turkey? That’s what I’ll have!
    • I’m not going to worry about it. It’s one night, and I deserve to relax.
    • I haven’t had weight loss surgery yet, so I’m not worried. I’ll enjoy it just like I do every year.I don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, so it’s no problem.
    • Other – read my answer in the conversation below!

Thanksgiving can be a wonderful holiday. It’s often a chance to spend extra time with friends and family, to think about what you’re thankful for in your life, and maybe even to take a day or so off work. For many weight loss surgery patients, though, Thanksgiving dinner can be a burden. You can take in thousands of extra calories, and could end up feeling sick since you’re not used to eating so much food. How do you plan to approach Thanksgiving dinner this year?

• I’m hosting Thanksgiving dinner, so I’ll make the traditional meal plus include one or two low-calorie dishes, like salad, to make sure I can eat without going over my limits.
  • I’m going to the home of friends or family for Thanksgiving, so I’ll bring a healthy dish to share, like salad. I’ll just munch on it if I have to, if there’s nothing else there I can eat.
  • I’ll stick to one small serving of all my favorites. I’ll probably go over my usual calorie limits, but it’s okay.
  • No problem! What better way is there to get your Protein in than to enjoy turkey? That’s what I’ll have!
  • I’m not going to worry about it. It’s one night, and I deserve to relax.
  • I haven’t had weight loss surgery yet, so I’m not worried. I’ll enjoy it just like I do every year.I don’t Celebrate Thanksgiving, so it’s no problem.
  • Other – read my answer in the conversation below!

Mark your answer, and tell us about it in the conversation below! Telling us how you plan for Thanksgiving can help other BariatricPal members do the same!

happy-thanksgiving.jpg

I was banded last thanksgiving and I just had a spoonful of each dish and even had a small slice of pie. I felt like a million bucks. Before the band I would eat until I was sick so the band helped me from getting over stuffed. While everyone else was laying around complaining about being too full, I was cleaning up and enjoying visiting with everyone.

Same as always...dinner at grandma's with friends and family. Gonna eat whatever looks good. And wash it down with a glass of wine . And then have pie for desert.

I'm cooking as usual but I am also making ribs and grilled turkey, I am sticking with my program Protein first so I will have grilled turkey and greens for desert I'm having strawberry cheesecake Quest bar . and I'm hitting the gym at 0900! To get my work out in .

i will do what i do now

eat a bit of this and a bit of that (bring on stuffing/cranberry)

and let my lapband control by quantity..its a sad time as my FIL is ill and so is my MIL and of course my son is in England with the USAF. I cant control that...but i can control what i eat..

and i will eat and enjoy and treat it like another day..

I'm jogging in the Turkey Day 5K at 9:00am. Then off to a family Thanksgiving dinner. I will be happy not to gorge myself like I have in the past. Looking forward to friends and family.

My Wife and I (both banded) are hosting for 13. Making the traditional meal and we will each have our little plate of what we want and be done. It is all about putting on a good spread for the family. Eating is just part of living now!!

I will miss my kids... Both working.. I will have a normal size dinner AND some dessert. I worked out hard 2 x this week and will add one more before Sunday

It get much easier as the years (8) go by to not worry about over eating.

These are the first holidays I'll be going thru... (widowed suddenly earlier this year... )So I'll be sad .. But food isn't my coping mechanism.. I'll just stay sad and have to feel raw..

Enough ... I'm thankful for family and friends and I do depend on this site almost daily to learn something. Thank you to all????????enjoy your time

widowed suddenly earlier this year... )So I'll be sad

@@Julie norton

8 years post op!!

how great are you :)

90 lbs down!!!

this is your first holiday without hubby :(

i'm so sorry for your loss :(

i wish you could be with the kids

you didn't mention who you were spending the day with

i hope you aren't gonna be alone

if you are, i wish i would have know

i would have set another place for you ;)

sending good thoughts your way :)

hugggggs

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

How do you plan to approach Thanksgiving dinner

@@Alex Brecher and all my many fellow weight loss "survivors" ;)

hubby and i spent the day with my 85 year old mother :)

she lives in a retirement home

they served a lovely dinner with all the trimmings

was able to eat small amounts

so i did well

"little" slice of apple pie

Alex thats our secret ok ;)

23 years ago, hubby and i got married :)

it was thanksgiving day, november 28

over 35 family members at my sisters house :)

our anniversary date stays the same of course

but thanksgiving date changes every year

he BETTER remember the date ;)

we are now home

enjoying the rest of a nice quiet day

admiring the snow we got yesterday :)

hope you all enjoyed your day :)

best to all

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I will be eating. I'm praying this will be my last meal before I go on the pre-op diet. I have my last appointments next week!! So excited!!!!

It was just another day. I'm pre-op and not near my family who goes balls to the wall with the food. I made all the food, didn't bother to alter for calories' sake and I gotta say I didn't even finish my plate. No seconds or thirds lol....We did a nice long family hike before the game and dessert. To get here, I've gotten to the place where I'm just tired of all the food and eating and I'm ready for my forever diet as they say! I was grateful to not feel like a busted can of biscuits this Thanksgiving! :-)