Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 weeks of the Insurance Diet to go - not doing well!

My surgery is in mid-February and I have done three weighins so far at my hospital program. The last one really threw me, because I was up two pounds. I mean,I was just starting a period and it doesn't help that the weighins are all at night.

So this month started out pretty well and I am keeping faithful to my log, but the last week I have been just giving in to the carbs. I am having a heck of a time sticking to 1400 cals a day and I am getting crabby and nasty.

I keep asking myself if I want to do this or if I just want to give it up and die fat. It's a long haul and I am really worn out. I have 15 days to lose the two pounds (which I think are now FOUR pounds, according to my scale).

1. How did you manage to get through the insurance mandated diet and be sane at the same time? (Note: I am allergic to dairy, soy, whey and due to diverticular disease, can't eat nuts, seeds, corn, etc.)

2. What is the best way for me to take my morning weight, which is always lower than evening weight and carry that forward on the weighin day? Should I not eat for that day?

I have two more scheduled weighins, Dec 9 and January 9th. I meet with the dietician on Dec 4th and she might weigh me then.

Can I wear a bathing suit? Weigh in naked?

HELP!!

post-230555-0-47583000-1416955759_thumb.jpg

By the way, I swim 35 minutes of hard laps every day, do weighted squats (only 20) and do a 12 minute seated aerobic routine three times a week.

Forgot to add that exercise stuff in there...

I suggest tracking your Protein, carbs and calories just to see what's going on.

You could be gaining muscle mass with heavy exercise ... That could amt for the gain... What are these mandated insurance diets before surgery???

I do track my macros on mfp. Thank you Beaglelover, I'm a beagle louver, too.

JMSCOUT6, My insurance requires a five month diet before they will approve the sleeve or any other WLS.

They also require an ekg, chest xrays, a sleep study, blood work, an upper endoscopy, a psycological evaluation and a meeting with a nutritionist.

Today is my psych and my NUT appt is on Thursday. Then I'm just finishing my diet and doing bloodwork.

My diet is supervised through a hospital life style program. I get a lot of support from them.

Sorry for the typos. I'm on my phone and I'm simply too lazy to go back and correct them.

@

If you can't stick to it or are disqualified later for either not loosing enough weight or gaining weight then I would strongly suggest you go to Mexico to have your surgery. You can find a qualified surgeon there for about $4500, hotel included. All you need to pay extra for is airfare and possibly meds, though some doctors have that in the price as well. I will be going to Tijuana because I'm not going to waste time jumping through hoops for an insurance company. There is a sub-forum here for self-pay and Mexico if you are interested. Many report it's better treatment than in the U.S.

I have been doing a LOT better with the 5 month diet. Staying at 1400 calories is easy now. I guess it just took some time to get the junk out of my system. I am down to 262 from my starting weight of 280 and my all time high of 298.

Glad to hear that you are doing better. :)

I had to do a 6 month doc supervised diet for one of my requirements. I was actually happy about that because I needed that time to make sure I would be able to handle all the changes that would come with having this surgery. I needed to wrap my head around all that.

I started in Feb 2014 and at my May check in I had received a letter from my insurance stating that the contract with the hospital where I would be having my surgery. I was bummed. But I kept going thru my appointments because my doc thought it would get settled and we would be back on track. At that point my weigh ins were horrible. I gained or stayed the same. But my insurance didn't have a requirement for me to lose a certain amount. But I was a little worried. It took two months but they redid the contracts and we were good to go. Once I finished everything they submitted and I was approved in less than two weeks.

Keep up the good work and the good habits you are making, you will need that after the surgery!!!!