Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No health problems apart from obesity, is surgery right?

Hi all,

Im new to this site and have been lurking about reading.

I have been accepted for bariatric surgery, my surgeon is pushing for me to have a bypass as he thinks my snacking was the main reason for my obesity, therefore the sleeve wouldn't suit me.

I was aiming for the sleeve as it was less invasive, but his comments are changing my mind but still 50/50

Anyway,

I have read that A lot of you guys have had problems with health, diabetes, Gerd, etc and have been on lots of medications, so you choosing surgery was the best for curing those reasons.

For myself I dont take regular medication apart from an inhaler for my mild asthma. My knees experience some pain but its not life threatening.

Im obese but otherwise healthy.

Should I still consider surgery?

My heaviest weight was 336 lbs at age 17, but lost a lot and then gained it all after children.

Since starting the process of surgery plans 1 year ago I was again at 330 lbs.

But as I knew surgery may be not long away I started my diet on drs orders to lose x amount of weight.

I lost 70lbs this year.

Im now at 246 lbs, and the weight is starting to creep back on.

Need help and advice.

Only you can make this very personal decision, your story is much like many of us, gain, loose, gain more, repete. Happy to be where I am today.

Obesity in itself, in my humble opinion, is life threatening. Today, your knees are going, what's next? I was tired of sitting on the sidelines, mentally and physically. WLS gave me a glimpse of the girl I used to be, even if I can't grow younger- I sure feel it!

Today, as I was walking to my car in a busy shopping place, a man at least 20 years younger, said hey beautiful, where are you parked? Sure, I knew he just wanted my parking space, but then, he could have waited and said nothing...

I opted for RNY and I had no health issues prior to surgery except for a blood pressure that was on the high side of the normal range. Like you, I have struggled with my weight my entire life. About 16 years ago I weighed 291 and was able to lose about 140 lbs. only to gain it all back and then some over the coarse of 19 years. The snacking and poor food choices (sweets, fried foods, etc.) were my biggest problem. My decision for RNY had to do with the cravings. I'm just over 4 months post op and my personal experience is that I could not be happier with my choice.

It all comes down to your own personal choice. I believe both surgeries are excellent tools. They are just that - tools. For any of us to be successful it takes a lifestyle change - better nutrition and exercising.

Best of luck!

I agree that obesity itself is a health issue that very often leads to those other complications that so many of us ventured into before we had WLS. I'm also of the opinion though, that if snacking is what's at the heart of your weight problem, that no surgery will "fix" that for you. Weight loss surgery isn't a "fix" or guarantee of anything. It's a tool that with a lifelong commitment to making major changes in your attitude about and relationship with food can assist with losing weight. It's very possible to have a full bypass and still stretch your new stomach to hold more food than it was intended...couple that with poor food choices, and the weight can come right back on.

I have your same issues. Obese, knee pain (Dx osteoarthritis) and asthma since I was a little little girl.

Ultimate you have to make the decision for yourself. I choose VSG because I'm not up for re routing my intestines and I'd rather no foreign bodies be placed on my stomach. Like you said it's less invasive.

If snacking is your issue then maybe before you decide, you should take steps to minimize your snacking. Eating habits don't change overnight so while you go through the process start cutting out things one at a time. As you go through your day, when you would normally have a snack drink a bottle of Water instead. Start to ask yourself if you're really hungry or are you eating because you're bored.

I have not been sleeved yet but these are things I ask myself before I go eat something just because it's there or because I'm not doing anything else.

Blessings on your journey!

Edited by laurenella82

Thanks everyone. I understand your mind has to change regarding food. Before I lost the 70lbs on my own I was eating whatever I wanted not thinking about my food choice.

It was never fast food/fried foods as I was always home baking. I loved pastry, bread and cake! My trigger foods.

I still bake but resist most of it. I also only snack on fruit.

I say I have changed but I know myself, and it will only be short lived.

I have my appointment early December and need to give points on why I prefer the sleeve rather than bypass.

My surgeon is strongly over pushing the bypass on me, which Makes me nervous.

I have not decided. Still very confused.

Hi! If this helps I was totally prepared for a sleeve. My sister had it a year ago and met goal and then some. After my endoscope, my doctor said he wouldn't do the sleeve on me because of a severe hiatal hernia. I was crushed because I had my mind totally made up. Then I started doing research on RNY and posted questions here. I had the RNY 9 weeks ago and am down 46 pounds, 54 to go. I don't regret it. The RNY is the gold WLS standard, with over 30 years of research. The sleeve is a great option too. Best of luck!

It's so hard coming to a conclusion. My husband and I are doing this together. I'll jade whatever surgery I choose first, and then he'll follow suit a few weeks later. He is set on sleeve.

I have a friend who has a little more to lose than I do. (I would like to lose about 120-140). She has also chosen sleeve and will be having her surgery a little before mine. No dates are actually set for anyone at this point, but it was like a little pact for all three of us.

I'm still so torn. I keep leaning toward bypass, and my surgeon says "you would not be wrong if that is your choice, but you would also not be wrong to choose sleeve,". He is from Pakistan and has a quirky way of saying things. He is pushing for sleeve but, again, I keep leaning toward bypass.

It's so hard to make a decision! I'm scared that somehow, I'll be the rule and I'll have every complication known to man, or I'll be the rule and it just won't "work"

Both surgeries have risks so you will face those regardless off the procedure. I think it's ultimately the lifestyle you'll end up wanting.

U sister had the sleeve a year ago and is at her goal weight. She looks amazing. She had severe complications that put her in the hospital for a full month. However, what she went through is very rare.

I had bypass with no complications. I'm pretty textbook. I'm losing weight, and can eat almost everything. My sister can eat anything but is restricted to portion. I wish I felt more restricted, but that's my head hungry and food issues. The head stuff won't change no matter which surgery you choose. WLS is a tool not a cure.

Since the start of applying for bariatric surgery 1 year ago, I have become more aware of my food habits, and have changed my lifestyle a lot.

Because of that I have lost 70 lbs before surgery. But Im not losing much more, most of the time Im either maintaining my weight or losing 1 lb a week.

For me its the quantity of food I eat, but the food itself is healthy. Never fried, and bread/pastry is only on occasion.

So I feel Im in the right mindset and prepared for surgery to be used as a tool to go alongside my healthy lifestyle change.

Im leaning towards the sleeve. I need something to restrict the quantity more than anything.

I just hope my surgeon wont be pushy like last time and accept my decision. Im taking my husband along with me so he can side with me.

He is a general practitioner and will talk the medical lingo. ????

I lost 50 pounds before my RNY surgery and was given the option of continuing to try to lose weight on my own or go ahead with the surgery. I decided to go ahead with the surgery to help me with Portion Control. I have since surgery lost 60 more pounds. I experienced no complications and am able to eat anything, just in much smaller amounts. Life is good!

Hi there,

At the end of the day you have to make the final decision on this. I would encourage you to continue to do your homework. It is likely your surgeon is pushing you in that direction because of your previous food behaviors. RNY is a bit more restrictive when it comes to pastries, sugar and the like. I would say in my short time as a bypass patient, your taste for those things do change and that is a wonderful tool to have in your toolbox. I am hoping that lasts forever for me. But as others said, in the end it is up to each one of us to change our behaviors to make any of these surgeries work. My original plan was to have the sleeve, after learning about the pros of RNY I ended up going that route and I have not regretted for even one second so far.

Good luck to you!

Obesity is a health problem. A health problem that leads to innumerable other problems. I weighed 315lbs at 5'10. I had no other co-morbities save depression and some mild pain in my knees and hips. I had surgery to PREVENT the inevitable hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, and heart disease caused directly by obesity. Why wait until you are irrevocably unhealthy to have surgery to change your life? It is the best decision I've ever made!

You will have to make the decision. I chose the bypass because the sleeve is more forgiving with food. You can still eat sweets and not have to deal with the dumping. Personally I knew that would not be good for me. My problem was sweets, now after surgery I do not crave any sweets. Hard to believe but it's true. I will on occasion have a small spoon of ice cream or an m&M or two...but as a treat and then I am happy...

I had the bypass one year ago. I wanted the sleeve, but insurance refused to cover. So I had to research the bypass and went with that. I think you should listen to your surgeon, but then make your case for what you want and why. You deserve to have your input, it's your body. So I hope you are happy with whatever you choose. And you may not have health issues now, but eventually it will catch up with you. I still snack, but much different than in the past. fruit, nuts or seeds, any Protein. Once in awhile I have a slice of bread or Pasta, but Portion Control is key here. You have to learn to eat properly all over again. You will do fine, whichever you choose.