Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is the day!

This morning I have checked in for my Roux En Y procedure! This a journey that I started back in May! I'm ready for this step.

Good luck dear! It is soooo worth it! I am 5 weeks out and lost almost 50 lbs. Best decision of my life. Go look at my profile, and keep me posted on your journey! Much love!

Samantha

Good luck on your surgery. Keep in touch when you get to the other side.

It's been a good day, trying to get pain down to a level where I can try and walk around.

yes, yes! make sure you walk. You dont want your body to form blood clots. Remember the worst pain is always three days out. Then soon it will be a week out and you will see so many changes. I cant believe Im 5 weeks out. You will do amazing!

Walk! Walk! Walk! Take your pain meds and walk some more. The movement will help get rid of any gas build up from your surgery and reduce the pain. I'm so happy for you! I'm 9 weeks out and have lost 46 lbs. It has been amazing!

I am 3 days post op @@Jmcdaniel and I'm telling you that each day is different from the previous one in terms of pain. I feel great today compared to the day of surgery. I was out of surgery around 10 AM and took my first walk by 8 PM. Was it difficult? You bet it was but it really helped with the gas and ultimately made me feel much better overall. Good luck to you. I truly believe that we'll reap the benefits of our struggles really soon. Hang in there :) !

Hi ! I'm 6 days out and I'm amazed at how I feel from day one to today. It's crazy I discharged from the hospital 24hrs after my surgery (yeah I was shocked too) but I was glad to get home lol. I rested thanksgiving day (no cooking for me!) & went Black Friday shopping (I walked no wheelchair for me) but omg I paid for it the next day .. The last few days have been ruff cause I think I'm trying to over do it. My main problem is I know I'm not getting enough fluids or Proteins ... Then to I'm able to drink chicken broth & love it but I know I can't keep drinking that . I'm open to any & all advise that can help ... Thanks in advance

Hi ! I'm 6 days out and I'm amazed at how I feel from day one to today. It's crazy I discharged from the hospital 24hrs after my surgery (yeah I was shocked too) but I was glad to get home lol. I rested thanksgiving day (no cooking for me!) & went Black Friday shopping (I walked no wheelchair for me) but omg I paid for it the next day .. The last few days have been ruff cause I think I'm trying to over do it. My main problem is I know I'm not getting enough fluids or Proteins ... Then to I'm able to drink chicken broth & love it but I know I can't keep drinking that . I'm open to any & all advise that can help ... Thanks in advance

The liquid requirements (generally 64-80 ounces per day) can be satisfied in several ways. It is the sum of all the liquids you take in within the day. They include:

The broth you drink including the liquid portion of Soups.

The liquid that you take in your Protein drinks.

The Water you drink in taking your Vitamins.

Drinking straight Water or in many cases flavored water. I bought and used a lot of Crystal Light during my early stages.

Milk and hot cocoa. I found "no sugar added" hot cocoa in the grocery stores and began using this during the winter months. When it is cold outside, there is nothing like a cup of hot cocoa.

Teas. There are a variety of hot teas available. I found most of the teas in grocery stores were rather bland. But there are good ones available in tea shops.

Oops! I almost forgot, there is Decaf coffee. I am not a big coffee drinker but I am now developing a habit.

Many people drag around a large bottle of water with them all day and take a sip here and there.

As far as the Protein requirements. The method of fulfilling that requirement will vary and change as you progress. At the beginning I drank 3 Protein shakes per day. In my opinion Protein Shakes are a misnomer. The name implies a milk shake and that is definitely not the case. In my opinion they all taste terrible. The approach is to find one that you can tolerate. There are many different types and varieties. You need to visit the stores and try them until you can find one you can tolerate. I took the approach of consuming home-made high protein Soups and chili for my meals. They went down easier. As my meal volume increased, I began deriving more and more protein from my meals. I am 18 months post-op from RNY and I eat a cup per meal. Currently I derive around 65 grams of protein from my meals alone. So in this approach, I went from 3 protein shakes per day down to 2 per day, down to 1 per day, down to 0 per day with a bit of supplemental protein. At this stage, I am happy. My supplemental protein is either a hot cup of cocoa or a very delicious berry smoothie. I put a short article together that describes my experiences on the internet and I included recipes in the article. Her is the link http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Edited by James Marusek

How are all of you doing? It's crazy to think that it has been a month! I had my one month follow up with the surgeon on Monday and even though I knew my weights it made it real when he told me that my weightloss has been 50 pounds since I first saw him two weeks pre-surgery! Things have been going great, I am finally back to work!