Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any bandsters ever experience dumping syndrome?

I've made an appointment with my GP to have this checked out, but wanted to see what the hivemind has to say about my situation while I wait to be seen.

I know dumping syndrome is more common to other WLS (e.g., sleeve, bypass, etc) but I think I'm experiencing this now, 20 months post-op. For the past five days, about an hour after I eat, my heartbeat becomes irratic and heartrate increases (pulse 130). It's similar to heart palpitations in that I can feel the extra (or delayed) heartbeat and the racing heart. I have no dizziness, no chest pain, no confusion. I've been tracking these episodes and they consistently occur after eating, even if it is just a yogurt and a tangerine (in other words, not related to overeating). The episode can last over three hours before calming down. If I don't eat, I don't have the episodes so I'm thinking it is related to my food and not exercise, stress or lack of sleep.< /p>

Sounds like one symptom of dumping syndrome, but I don't have the other, more-typical symptoms such as diarrehea or dizziness.

Is dumping syndrome even possible with a lapband?

Thanks for anything you can share with me if you've experienced this.

I had full on dumping after eating a cheese stuffed publano pepper at a tex mex restaurant. I'd never had one/seen one. Everyone raved about them so I ordered it. Tooooo greasy!

I've also had those heart palpitations. Happens when I eat too fast / don't chew well, or if something gets stuck.

Not with the lap band, but I did have that occur after a gallbladder surgery, I had the typical diarrhea.

@@parisshel I have read on here where some have had these symptoms from the Vagus nerve, which is stimulated by food passing by the band. So it might not matter what you are eating, where with other surgeries dumping is usually caused by too much sugar and/or rich foods. In band cases it could be the Vagus nerve sending signals to the brain that could be triggering these responses.

It wouldn't hurt to give your Dr. a call and explain what's going and ask them for their advice and explanation.

Especially being a woman, the signs of stroke/heart attack can also be similar and though we think it's nothing and related to our bands...it's better to be safe then sorry.

Here is a link with a little more info on the Vagus nerve.

http://www.wisegeekhealth.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-vagus-nerve-disorders.htm

Edited by lisacaron

@@parisshel I have read on here where some have had these symptoms from the Vagus nerve, which is stimulated by food passing by the band. So it might not matter what you are eating, where with other surgeries dumping is usually caused by too much sugar and/or rich foods. In band cases it could be the Vagus nerve sending signals to the brain that could be triggering these responses.

It wouldn't hurt to give your Dr. a call and explain what's going and ask them for their advice and explanation.

Especially being a woman, the signs of stroke/heart attack can also be similar and though we think it's nothing and related to our bands...it's better to be safe then sorry.

Here is a link with a little more info on the Vagus nerve.

http://www.wisegeekhealth.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-vagus-nerve-disorders.htm

Thanks to everyone who commented on my post. I ended up in the ER last night, as my heart rate was 140 and quite erratic. I was in complete cardiac arrhythmia and it was pretty scary. They treated the symptoms with beta blockers which, over seven hours, brought my heart back into a normal rhythm and my rate back down to 80. I'm exhausted!

Friday I go back in to the hospital to see a "real" (not the ER) cardiologist and have a couple of tests to see why this happened. Luckily I am at the same hospital where I had my band done, and I will definitely ask the cardio to liaise with my surgeon regarding the question of vagal nerve irritation. I'm not a doctor but it makes complete sense to me. Lisa, I read your post while being treated so I asked the ER intern about it but off course they said "this is your heart, not your lapband" which indicated to me they had no expertise with lapbands.

So yes, glad I didn't just brush this off and that I acted on my intuition that these "palpitations" weren't just going to go away on their own.

@@parisshel I am so glad that you went to the ER and that they were able to help stabilize you. The symptoms of heart attack in women are so much different then what we would think they are.

Here is a link to a Video by Elizabeth Banks on Heart Attacks in Women. We might think it can't be that, but sometimes it can very well be. I had one when I was very young due to medical complications after the birth of my son.

https://www.goredforwomen.org/about-heart-disease/symptoms_of_heart_disease_in_women/just-a-little-heart-attack/

It is a GREAT idea to have your cardio Dr. sync up with your bariatric surgeon because the Vagus nerve can also play a role in what's going on and most Cardiologist are not familiar with WLS patients, having him consult with your surgeon will help in what ever diagnosis and treatment that may be needed.

So glad you are OK. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and keep in touch let us know how your doing.

OMG!!!!! I hope you are feeling better! That must have terrifying! So glad you went to the ER had this taken care of.