Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Horror of Cooking Recipes

This is a rant and rave topic and not meant to offend anyone. It concerns diet food being displayed everywhere. I started this journey because of food and it upsets me with all these good food recipes with their great pictures of how they look. I don't care what low cal meal someone cooks. I remember watching cook shows and it made me hungry just watching it. Food recipes and displays do the same thing. Why entice me into something that's my weakness, I just don't understand. Yeah I know, just don't look at them, but how about the person that can't help themselves. My diet excludes these displays. I know if I go down this road I'll go back the way I was and that's not going to happen. I admit my meals are dull but that's my intent. My meals are now just substance to keep me healthy. Thank you for giving me my moment and again it's not meant to hurt. Perhaps their's others that feel the same way. I just had to let it out.

I completely understand how you feel, but the advertising will never go away. It's all about the money! It is best to learn to ignore all of it and do what is best for you. Best of luck on the process!

Do you think there are too many recipes on this forum? I haven't seen that many pictures of cooked meals here, but maybe I just missed them. I have gotten a little envious of what post op patients declare that they are eating. I am not allowed cheese, mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, or Beans. I confessed at my one month follow up that I ate a half a cup of lentil Soup the day before. The head nurse made me feel so stupid for eating something with so many carbs. I was almost in tears.

At seven weeks post op, my daiiy food intake is quite bland and boring. If I cook something too appetizing I'm afraid I'll eat to much of it. I know there are ways around this.

The good news is that you are in charge of YOU. You chose to make a HUGE step towards your great health and wellness and you will succeed if you plan your work and work your plan.

The bad news is that the world around you is not obligated to change because you are. The diet ads, the fast food commercials, the cooking shows... None of this is going to stop because it would make your journey easier.

Just as your family and friends aren't going to suddenly stop eating Cookies and cakes, just like Thanksgiving day stuffing and mashed potatoes aren't going to disappear and just like Panera is not going to stop making those delicious Asiago Bagels (D@MN THEM!!!), your decision to eat healthier and live a better quality life is no one's obligation but yours.

You can do this. Don't resent the world for doing it's thing, that will only make it harder.

@ Hi! I Read your post twice and I guess I just don't get it? You don't like seeing recipes and the finished product or just food in general? Cooking healthy doesn't mean you have to eat bland food. You are choosing to eat bland food? Why? Some of the healthiest natural foods are beautiful and delicious with out adding to them...fruit, vegetables, nice Cuts of meats. Why are you wanting to eat bland boring food? That's odd to me. It's ok to enjoy your food, food is life And it will ALWAYS be a part of your life. Maybe I just didn't understand what you were trying to say which is totally possible don't be so hard on your self! Food doesn't have to be your enemy.

Im not sure what you're getting at. Go ahead, rant and rave, let it out, cause thats what we're here for. Im just not sure what you're ranting about ! Are you upset because you're exposed to pics of good looking food , or because you think you can't have it ? I love anything food related, ads, cooking shows, cookbooks, grocery shopping, etc. But, I make my choices daily about what I really want ( something sweet), and ignore the things I don't want ( salty or fried ). I eat a fairly healthy diet (leaning towards diabetic friendly foods for my spouse) but include a sweet daily so I dont feel deprived. 3 yrs banded next month, I must be doing something right ! Good luck to you !

I'll try to explain myself. food has always been the major focal point of my family life. Because of that some of my family has suffered tragically. I also had a past experience being a vegan learning way to much about the "food factory". Because of all this I seem to see food differently than some and perhaps for most people. I also don't plan out meals. It's now mostly just me and my wife in the house. My basic meal is canned chicken or a tuna pack, my wife cooks the vegetables, simple and easy. Once in a while I very this but mostly I like what I eat.

Concerning my rant, the display of nice looking foods is a stimulate. A lot of web sites I visited concerning weight loss show these wonderful meals you can prepare. They make me want to eat not what to eat.

I'll try to explain myself. food has always been the major focal point of my family life. Because of that some of my family has suffered tragically. I also had a past experience being a vegan learning way to much about the "food factory". Because of all this I seem to see food differently than some and perhaps for most people. I also don't plan out meals. It's now mostly just me and my wife in the house. My basic meal is canned chicken or a tuna pack, my wife cooks the vegetables, simple and easy. Once in a while I very this but mostly I like what I eat.

Concerning my rant, the display of nice looking foods is a stimulate. A lot of web sites I visited concerning weight loss show these wonderful meals you can prepare. They make me want to eat not what to eat.

I can assure you that many of us relate to your plight. Like you, food has been a focal point to my life. I was raised in a family where food meant love but also where food was "bad" and "forbidden". Because of that, I splurged when I could and I closet ate when I couldn't.

Many post-opers trade one bad food relationship for another and I can't/won't make assumptions on you based only what you've written here, but it kind of sounds like this is what you are doing. I would urge you to seek counseling or advice from your NUT. You need to learn to trust yourself to make great choices, but ones you enjoy, and your pouch to keep you on track with quantity.

I'm not saying you should go out and start cooking elaborate meals, but I can't imagine a life subsisting on pouch flaked meat and veggies. It's OK to enjoy your meals as long you are strong enough to do the right thing for your body.

Edited by LipstickLady