Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting back in order with my diet

I had the RNY in June of this year. After about 4 months out I have lost about 80 pounds. I also fell ill. I started blacking out and fainting. Had a lot of lightheadedness as well. It was discovered the my heart rate dropping down into to the 30s. I also had my gallbladder out and had to be given medications during my surgery to keep my heart rate up. Anyway long story short, I now have a pacemaker and I am only 34. I have not been to the gym in a few months and have completely fallen off the diet band wagon. I have not gained any weight back. I just need some tips on getting back on a better diet. I will probably start back to the gym once I get the staples out of my chest next week.

Edited by jtickle

@@jtickle That sounds like a question for your surgeon. Take it easy!

I think you probably know what to do to get back to a better diet, like going back to basics after surgery BUT I echo what @@Elode said. You need to follow whatever your Dr. says.

I'm sorry you had to go through all of that and I hope things get better for you from here out. You already know good nutrition supports good health. Now that you have dealt with such serious consequences of poor health, you are probably more motivated to get back on program than you would otherwise be. Since you adhered to your plan successfully before your illness, I think you should feel confident in your ability to get back on track. You have already shown yourself that you can do this.

You poor kid. I hate to hear that you've gone through such a rough time. First and for most, do whatever your doctor tells you to do. I would imagine that since your system has been through so much that a good place to start is pretty much back at the beginning. Maybe not just Clear liquids,and Protein shakes, but maybe pureered solids and back to at least those 60gms of Protein a day. Take it slow and don't push yourself. You have a lot of healing to do.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

I agree with everyone here! You know what to do, but you also need to concentrate on healing and taking care of yourself! Listen to doctors orders, but do what you need to do to get back on track without hindering your healing. Heal well and Happy Thanksgiving!

I've never had a pacemaker put in but I did have a double bypass a few years ago. The only thing that I would do in the gym is get on the treadmill and walk. Congrats on not gaining any weight while you were sick!!! That itself is such an awesome feat!!! I would follow your doctor's orders....and as far as kicking back up on the right diet.....I would start out with soft foods that are high in protein!!! GOOD LUCK on your recovery!!! my prayers are with you!!!

Thanks for all your replies. I called the dietitian today and spoke with her on the phone. I know I can get back on the right diet, I do know what to do. I was really successful before. I guess I just needed to hear it from other people who understand what WLS is like. I know diet has a lot to with it but I am so excited about getting back to the gym. I wish everyone well and have a good Thanksgiving.