Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Denial and defense

I am on day 12 post op and am starting to get cranky because I am so hungry. I can imagine it is mostly head hunger but I have been strong. I have stuck to my liquid diet (Bari diet stage 1) and start stage II (puree) in a couple days. What I cannot understand is how different many peoples diet or version of the bari diet is on here. I love it here, I get a lot of good advice and its a great place to find out information but when I read about self desctrutive acts then them getting upset because people tell them the truth (according to Physicians and Hospitals) about how you are supposed to eat they get defensive. I am all for positive criticism and feedback but you cannot get upset when you know you are doing wrong to your health, your body and new stomach and then post about your Evil Canieval eating habits straight out of surgery and are told as much. It goes from Denial to defense. Here I am struggling but sticking to it because I know it is a lifestyle change and its for my health, longevity and most importantly to keep me safe, and if you speak to me the wrong way I may jump up and cling to the ceiling like a bat … while others are like yes, I chowed down on a pizza, had fried chicken, chomped on some chips 3 days our of surgery. What? Granted, its not my business, but since its put out there … it is hard to understand for me how you can go through life destroying your body, then work so hard to get the surgery to then self sabotage. Making a mistake is human, but wanted to get validated for bad behavior? Sorry not the way. This isn’t a quick fix and we all know it. We know its HARD, we must WORK at it … but we are SOOO WORTH IT! To everyone struggling and who has slipped up just keep on track. That goal to health and longevity is in the horizon. Isn’t is beautiful? So even though I want to lick the cheese off the chips my mate eats, I am holding back. 2 weeks of this liquid diet and 2 more weeks of puree is a small sacrifice for a Lifetime of health. You are worth it ;)

Amen!

Ditto! Amen!

Exactly. It was about four months in for me, when someone posted that those of us who are trying so hard to follow our teams' plan are just a bunch of goody two-shoes!

The purpose of this forum is to support each other and get an education in the process. We all struggle with this process in some way and absolutely NEED each other to tell the truth. How else are we really going to know what to expect?

On other occassions, I have welcomed newbies with the caveat that ask what you want, but be prepared that opinions and tact will vary.

Amen! I am post op day 12 and still on full liquids and will be until 12/2.

I can't wait to be able to eat actual food and I will be frustrated when I spend all day cooking Thanksgiving dinner and I can't have any of it. I know the full liquids are for the best and I didn't take surgery lightly. I just keep plugging along every day and finding ways to make my liquids a bit more interesting while sticking to my guidelines. Food will be part of my life again eventually. This is just a very small part of the journey and we can do it! Keep sticking to the plan and working towards goal!

My surgeon told my pre op group about a gastric bypass patient that had just came out of surgery the day before. The hospital accidently got the lunch trays mixed up and this gastric bypass patient got hamburger and fries as his first meal right out of surgery. He was a quarter of the way through the meal before the nurse questioned it. The patient thought it was okay to eat since that is what the hospital served him. If you make a mistake, I think you should own up to it and not look elsewhere for validation.

I'm guessing that bypass patient was back in surgery pretty quickly then, after eating that cr@p. SMH. That is almost hard for me to believe someone can be that ...reckless.

We'll said.

i'm 12 days post op of lap band removal and i am too on a liquid diet. Yes, i am hungry and like you would love to just lick something off a plate but i do not. I learned how to eat healthy and Portion Control with the band that i had for 9 years. i stick to what my dr says cause there is a reason for their rules. they know better then we do. I have to wait 3 months and get to go in and get the gastric sleeve (self Pay) but it's going to be so worth it. i've seen where people have gained between 30-90 lbs they've told me in between band removal and their next wls. I can't do that mentally or physically. I do not want to sabotage what i have worked so hard for for 9 years. AMEN!!!

i'm 12 days post op of lap band removal and i am too on a liquid diet. Yes, i am hungry and like you would love to just lick something off a plate but i do not. I learned how to eat healthy and Portion Control with the band that i had for 9 years. i stick to what my dr says cause there is a reason for their rules. they know better then we do. I have to wait 3 months and get to go in and get the gastric sleeve (self Pay) but it's going to be so worth it. i've seen where people have gained between 30-90 lbs they've told me in between band removal and their next wls. I can't do that mentally or physically. I do not want to sabotage what i have worked so hard for for 9 years. AMEN!!!

Indeed amen! Best of luck to your on your journey to the next WLS. By the sounds of it, your have it down pact. ;)

thank you. yes i'm def ready to heal and get back in the gym with my trainer and my ciients until i'll have to take off again to do the sleeve.

Well said diva! Just hold on and keep strong, pretty soon it'll become second nature to keep up your healthy eating habits. We got this woman!

Well said diva! Just hold on and keep strong, pretty soon it'll become second nature to keep up your healthy eating habits. We got this woman!

LOL Thank you Diva! :-*