Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I get the sleeve

Hi I'm in need of some advice here,

I'm 27 roughly 430 pounds at 6'4 I'm a big boy. I'm tired of being fat. I used to work construction as a welder. I hurt my back and haven't worked in a long time gained 100 pounds since being unemployed. I can't get around like I used too. I am not enjoying life anymore! I embarrassed to go anywhere with my girlfriend because of my weight.

I would like to know how often do leaks occur, how are they treated? Or what are more serious complications?

Please any information that you will provide will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Casey

I really don't know statically answers to all your questions. I'm positive some here can give you that information. But what I do want to say is that I know quite a few people who have opted for WLS as a tool to aide in obtaining a healthier life and the reward is far greater than the risk!

Stick around on the boards and you will learn a lot and be motivated!

Be blessed!

When I was looking into WLS I went to a seminar that the DR provided as an overview to all of the procedures. I went in dead set that I wanted the LAP Band and after the seminar and talking to people both there and online I found that the sleeve was the better option for me. The surgeon I went to had a very low complication stat with the sleeve surgery, and he explained it was because of his surgical technique.

The only complication or negative affect I have had from it was some heartburn here and there which is not very fun but it is livable, and lactose intolerance now, which again is livable. Check into surgeons you are considering and find out their stats on leakage and other complications from surgery. Most of the time complications arise from people not following the diet plan correctly. To me that was really important and really afterwards your body will really tell you what is right and wrong.

My surgeon requires his patients to attend his informational seminar. Google bariatric surgeons in your area. Most of them have free seminars. I attended 3, listened to 3 different surgeons and picked one. Went to my consult with a list of questions: complications, recovery time, how many surgeries has he performed, etc. Also, I chose a surgeon and hospital that was bariatric center of excellence. There are risks with all surgeries.

If you read this forum and others you will learn a lot.

I am 16 months post op and have not regretted one day. I battled some acid reflux but once I educated myself on PPI's and the way the body becomes dependent on them I weened myself off them and take Zantac every day to protect my stomach.

Research, attend a few seminars and make the decision that is best for you. Good luck!

Edited by Chele H

Also, I want to add that my surgeon used staples, surgical glue and he oversewed the staples and glue to reduced the risk of a leak.

Also, I want to add that my surgeon used staples, surgical glue and he oversewed the staples and glue to reduced the risk of a leak.

Once I passed the leak test the day after surgery I knew the surgeon had done his job. It was now up to me to baby my stomach for the next four months so I didn't cause a leak. I don't know the statistics either but it was never an issue for me. I was confident in my surgeon. Good luck on your decision.

My ex was 405 lbs 6'3" the day of surgery. He took up a doorway (loved him like that btw). He had bypass and did great.

Visit the complications subforum on here for some first hand insight into treating leaks. I believe the overall statistic for sleeve complications is 1-2%. (This includes strictures, leaks and infections). Ask your surgeon how many he sees, what symptoms to look for and how to treat, etc. My surgeon claimed a 0.1% serious complication rate. GERD and food intolerances are more common "minor" complications.

Unfortunately leaks can happen weeks or even months after surgery, despite passing initial leak tests (I was given 3). So I didn't relax and breath easy about it until I was nearly 6 months out. It was by far the motivating factor that kept me on the straight and narrow and following my postop restrictions to a T!

Edited by Kindle

Everything they said. Plus search the forum for all the info you can and online in general. Do your research not only about the different WLS procedures but also the surgeons in your area. I recommend going with a surgeon who is part of a Bariatric Center of Excellence. Ask the surgeon direct questions about complications their patients have had. This is a big decision and can be such a great life-changing experience. I wish it had been an option when I was 27! I have seen other young men post on the forum who had amazing success with the sleeve and it totally changed their lives! Nonetheless, it takes courage because it is a risk as is any surgery. However, unless you can lose the weight without surgery (most of us have tried and failed at that more times than we can count!) your risk of weight related health problems is also very high. No matter how you decide to move forward I wish you all the best. You are young!

I did my own research by googling the various procedure available. My doctor also requires people to attend a seminar prior to even meeting with the surgeon. In fact he will not give you an appointment until you do. I sat up front, took notes and asked questions. However, as mentioned the stats are pretty low on leaks.

I agree with others, look at the specific surgeon you are considering, and what their complication rates are. The other thing to remember is that they are statistics - so if you are one of the rare people who do get a complication, you have it 100%. Only you know your risk tolerance.

Having said that, getting the sleeve was one of the best things I ever did for myself. I'm two years out, and I'm living a far better life than I did before surgery. I used the surgery to help me do the things I need to do - I changed my eating and lifestyle permanently. I've been successful as a result, but only because I did the work, and continue to do so. I always have to remember to make a conscious decision to make good choices, all day, every day when it comes to food. Honestly, I know that having the sleeve made it possible.

Good on you for deciding to get your life back.

In response to your quetsions, there's too much information to type ... google is your friend.

Seriously. There's TONS of information out there. Good information. If you're serious about this, make the investment of researching this online.

Spoiler alert: Complications with sleeve surgery happen, but they're rare (VSGs are safer than gall bladder surgery or knee replacement surgeries). You're young. That's in your favor. You're very heavy -- always complicates things. But many, many, many people heavier than you have done fine with sleeve surgery.

Very best to you.

Find out from your insurance company if there are certain hospitals you need to use like a Center of Excellence and go to a seminar. No use wasting your time with a surgeon that your insurance will not pay for

Hi Casey,i was sleeved last week and already the feeling of being under the lash to my weight is receding.i have not weighed myself and don`t intend to for 1 month but what i can tell you that for the first time in many years i am not hungry all the time.My operation went so well i just can`t believe how little pain i had.I am sure you will make the right decision foe yourself but what helped me to make my decision was to examine the facts and weigh up the benefits against the risks.Going by the figures online i decided the risk was tiny compared to risk every time i get into my car to drive.Good luck to you fella.pippinleicester

Edited by pippinleicester

The numbers/statistics are easy to get. I encourage anyone interested to research all to make their decision. I am 6'2" and was 441 before my gastric sleeve surgery. I had no problems. I have no regrets. I've lost weight relatively quickly (133lbs in 5 months) and still going. My quality of life continues to get better. I didn't realize how bad I felt before because I didn't have any health issues...but Wow, I was missing out and didn't know it.

Congrats on taking a big step to a healthier life.

Everything has side effects...even doing nothing and remaining obese. Call your insurance ASAP and ask about coverage, physician supervised diets and best surgeon.

As far as research and statistics goes, there is a separate forum on here devoted to that.

Good luck with everything...keep in touch!