Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's been a while....

....been a long time since I've posted but was thinking of how much several of you on this forum helped me while I was both considering the sleeve, as well as when I was newly sleeved. I hit goal about 10-11 months after surgery and have been maintaining that plus a 4-5 lb drop since then.

I started at 230 lbs at 5'5 and decided I was at goal at 152. Most days, I veer between 147-151 now. I'm somewhere between a size 4-6 in pants and an 8-10 in tops (wide shoulders!) I have a Tummy Tuck (skin only, no muscle repair) coming up Dec 16th and I couldn't be happier about all of it. My husband has also lost almost 100 lbs since we started and is healthy and happy.

Anyway just wanted to share and mainly, to thank all of you who were there for me on this forum. I needed the support, advice, and guidance I found here. Meant a lot to me. ((Hugs))post-180691-14167088583512_thumb.jpg post-180691-14167088881816_thumb.jpg

You look marvelous. I am glad you stopped by to check in. It is very encouraging to those of us who are in earlier stages of our journeys to hear from vets like you. I wish more successful people could find time for sharing, but I understand how once you reach goal, you're on to other challenges and not so laser-focused on your weight.

You look marvelous. I am glad you stopped by to check in. It is very encouraging to those of us who are in earlier stages of our journeys to hear from vets like you. I wish more successful people could find time for sharing, but I understand how once you reach goal, you're on to other challenges and not so laser-focused on your weight.

Interestingly it's not laser focus but there's still daily focus. I log everything I eat, I still weigh daily and measure out my food, I still track carbs and Protein I still eat protein first, I still restrict calories to 1200 daily. The more things change, the more they stay the same right? :)

And this is why we need to hear from vets. So many people believe that once they lose weight, they can basically go back to "normal," forgetting that their "normal" is what caused them to need WLS. I have been thinking long and hard about how to do maintenance. Your way sounds about right.

HI gamergirl....thanks for checking in! I am 3 years post op and have been at goal for 2 years....and sorry ladies, but I do feel like I eat normally. I don't track my food, and I don't eat Protein first....but I do weigh daily and I probably eat between 1200-1500 calories a day. On Monday and Thursdays, I try to eat light (and they are also a No Wine, No cookie day) and if I gain a couple of lbs I will do 500 calories on those days. But other than that, I eat like a normal thin person.

Gamergirl, can you post again about your Tummy Tuck experience? I am going to see the plastic surgeon in a couple of weeks about a lower body lift, including a pelvic lift. I know I would feel so much better.

At Icanmakeit....I wrote about my experience in losing 80+ lbs every Sunday for the first year on my blog...but I realized my story was not over so I have just started writing again at 3 years post op. So please take a look and see what life is like out this far if you are interested. I now post every 2 weeks.

Queen...you are my hero. I'm only 11 months out, but have maintained the same weight (10-12 pounds below goal!) for the last 3 months just eating like a normal person. I don't track, I don't count calories and I weigh once/week. I "spot checked" my calories a couple days about a month ago and was around 1400-1600 calories. Definitely something I can live with! So it's good to see I'm not alone and it is possible to maintain this style even years out.

And congrats gamergirl....you look great!

Edited by Kindle

I haven't yet had my Tummy Tuck. It's scheduled for Dec 16th. I went in for a consult a few months ago and was told I only needed the skin removed. I must say I'm shocked i didn't need muscle repair. Part of me thinks he's going to open me up and go oops! And that I will meed it anyway but that's probably just paranoia talking.

My husband eats without tracking. Never has tracked or monitored. Initially he ate what I did but that's no longer true. It works for him. He doesn't get nearly the Protein he should but he can manage his weight to within a 6-8 lbs up and down.

I on the other hand, am extremely carb sensitive. I could eat 700 calories but if my carbs are over 80 gms, I put on weight. So tracking is not optional for me. I also put on weight if I eat much above 1200 calories.

If there's one thing I've realized its that one size doesn't fit all either before or after vsg. I think success is a matter of finding what works for you. That's the main thing the surgery did for me --Helped me realize that I was super carb sensitive and I was not going to lose weight without giving them up. I know many many people who succeeded without that--and many who don't.

Good to see you back, GG, and congrats on your success. You both look wonderful in your pictures! I also have to track, and as you say, it is the daily diligence that matters for overall success. I can never let my guard down. Good luck with your impending plastics! I've had some done, and looking at more, and it really was worth it for me.

If there's one thing I've realized its that one size doesn't fit all either before or after vsg. I think success is a matter of finding what works for you.

Exactly! Glad you (and your hubby) have found your happy place!

GG. Glad to see you here. I have enjoyed your blog through out the last year. Terrific recipes, btw. Our starting and current stats are very similar . My original goal was 155, got down to 148 but 150 seems to be where my body is most comfortable. You are so right about carb sensitivity! I can restrict my calories all I want , but throw in some real carbs and- boing -boing -boing, up I bounce.

Please post your PS experiences. I am approved by 3 surgeons and insurance for a TT , but I'm putting it off until spring. Scared, I guess, but it needs to be done. Lotsa luck!

@@gamergirl, thanks for posting this thread.

It's really fascinating and helpful to compare how those who are maintaining are doing so successfully.

I'm only 14 weeks post-op and logging my food scrupulously on My Fitness Pal. There's still so much to learn about how my own body and food interact. Boy, this is a learning experience, isn't it!

@@gamergirl, thanks for posting this thread.

It's really fascinating and helpful to compare how those who are maintaining are doing so successfully.

I'm only 14 weeks post-op and logging my food scrupulously on My Fitness Pal. There's still so much to learn about how my own body and food interact. Boy, this is a learning experience, isn't it!

Learning experience. Those two words encapsulate my year after surgery all right. I learned that I can only lose weight if I eat under 42 gms of carbs and under 700 calories. Little wonder I never lost weight without the sleeve! Who could eat so little with an entire stomach?!

I learned I would always choose carbs over Protein if left to myself. I learned I didn't have many issues with head hunger, but that I will always always always be addicted to sugar if I allowed myself to eat it. I am still learning to say no to cake and donuts daily. Yup I crave them all the time. I don't have them all the time though and I'm counting that as a victory.

It's been an amazing experience. The one thing that I did learn for sure is that building habits was important. Because sleeve capacity DOES increase. And we CAN eat endless quantities of junk. My two sons are normal weight, and my husband and I eat at much as they do in a sitting. So all that's happened is that I eat like a "normal" person now I guess. Very easy to slip and eat crap and gain weight. Just like for my "normal" skinny friends.

You're in for quite a year ahead of you. I hope you enjoy the victories and don't let the stalls gets you down.

I thought I'd also share how much our faces have changed btw. post-180691-14168307278486_thumb.jpg

Your pics look amazing! Good luck on the TT! I'm 4 months out from plastics (LBL, BA/BL, AL, and neck lift) and I'm so glad I had it done.

Sexy mamma!!! Congratulations! You loom amazing!!!