Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many "meals" per day during purée/soft stages?

I'm just curious, how many times per day are you supposed to eat while on the puréed/soft food stage.

My NUT said that I should be sticking to 3 meals per day. I'm only a little over a week out and I'm eating between 2 tbsp and 1/4 cup at a time. So, each meal is only like 50 calories, if that...

I haven't started yet, (2 days to go!) but 3 meals a day is also what I was instructed. I never thought I would be so excited to be able to eat what is essentially baby food!

I thought I had heard of people eating every 3-4 hours. No biggy on the 3 meals, just curious.

Yes, puréed was a great progression!! I just finally moved from clear liquid to puréed yesterday. :)

My doctor recommended 3 small meals and 2 Snacks. I think some people get thrown by the word snack . Actually it was just 5 small meals ~ 3 hours apart.

I eat 3-5 meals of approximately 4 oz. My nutritionist said 3 meals plus two Snacks, but because I exercise, she said five meals would be okay. I also drink one Protein Drink throughout the day.

From the very beginning I've always just eaten when I get hungry...every 3 hours or so. I don't make a distinction between a meal and a snack. Just eat till satisfied, whether it's a couple bites or a small plate full. It's really as simple as making healthy choices, getting in all your Protein, Water and Vitamins and staying away from simple carbs and trigger foods. But I guess if they didn't make it complicated, the nuts wouldn't have a job.

Edited by Kindle

Yeah, I guess I wasn't distinguishing between a meal and a snack either. I was told three meals, no Snacks, and no Protein Shakes. Strictly three meals, that's it.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't distinguishing between a meal and a snack either. I was told three meals, no Snacks, and no Protein shakes. Strictly three meals, that's it.

that is insane. There is NO WAY I could have gotten even close to my Protein requirements without shakes. Even at 11 months out I have one everyday. And there's no way I could make it on only 3 meals/day. Personally, I didn't start pureed until almost 3 weeks out, and even at that point I was stuffed with 2 tablespoons. But I ate 2 tablespoons of whatever many times/day (plus protein shakes).

I'm not one to tell anyone to go against their doctor's orders, but your nut is not very realistic. Her "rules" seem to be getting in the way of your proper nutrition. I'd say do whatever it takes to get in at least 60g protein, 64oz Water and your Vitamins. You cannot possibly overeat at this stage.

that is insane. There is NO WAY I could have gotten even close to my Protein requirements without shakes. Even at 11 months out I have one everyday. And there's no way I could make it on only 3 meals/day. Personally, I didn't start pureed until almost 3 weeks out, and even at that point I was stuffed with 2 tablespoons. But I ate 2 tablespoons of whatever many times/day (plus Protein shakes).

I'm not one to tell anyone to go against their doctor's orders, but your nut is not very realistic. Her "rules" seem to be getting in the way of your proper nutrition. I'd say do whatever it takes to get in at least 60g protein, 64oz Water and your Vitamins. You cannot possibly overeat at this stage.

And I'm not asking anyone to give me permission to go against her orders. :) I'm just looking to compare and find out that if I feel that I need to something outside of that she recommends that it isn't completely insane by other people's standards.

I will be doing one Protein shake in the mornings, we'll see how the rest of the day goes after that.

I also understand that long term, three meals makes sense, but at this point the volume is so small. Thankfully I don't feel any hunger. I'm just weak and tired (at least partially due to lack of nutrition).

Yeah, I guess I wasn't distinguishing between a meal and a snack either. I was told three meals, no Snacks, and no Protein Shakes. Strictly three meals, that's it.

How can you do that? You can't eat very much in one sitting so you eat til full, wait then drink Water. 3 hours later you are hungry! I don't even know if I could get in enough Protein in 3 meals. I just made a note on my diary today because even though the recommended cal is 800, I worked extra hard at the gym today and I'm hungry. Today's total will be over 1,000. It simply has to be because otherwise I'd be crazy hungry.

How can you do that? You can't eat very much in one sitting so you eat til full, wait then drink Water. 3 hours later you are hungry! I don't even know if I could get in enough Protein in 3 meals. I just made a note on my diary today because even though the recommended cal is 800, I worked extra hard at the gym today and I'm hungry. Today's total will be over 1,000. It simply has to be because otherwise I'd be crazy hungry.

I plugged in my food for today, including the Protein Shake I had for Breakfast and I'm at 243 calories for the day... About 130 of that is from the protein shake. Granted, I'm only a little over a week out, so I know that it will be on the extreme low end, but I can imagine in the next week or so, as a move to soft foods, that will increase a bit.

And I'm not asking anyone to give me permission to go against her orders. :) I'm just looking to compare and find out that if I feel that I need to something outside of that she recommends that it isn't completely insane by other people's standards.

I will be doing one Protein shake in the mornings, we'll see how the rest of the day goes after that.

I also understand that long term, three meals makes sense, but at this point the volume is so small. Thankfully I don't feel any hunger. I'm just weak and tired (at least partially due to lack of nutrition).

Good for you. After all, this is YOUR journey and you may not fit into some nut's WLS textbook guidelines. I'm generally a big fan of following the rules, but I also think you should be able to take responsibility for doing what's best for you. Best of luck.