Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guilty for considering surgery?

Rgggdfi have been feeling guilty for considering surgery because I've lost weight a few times with weight watchers but always regained. I can eat a good amount on that plan & whatever I want. So why can't I stick to it if it's so great? I have a few reasons or excuses so I'm feeling bad about my lack of control & even if I'm losing weight if someone wants pizza & ice cream even if i have no points legt ill eat it. Then ill feel like I screwed up so bad I taje the rest of the week off to continue to eat unhealthy thn do it all over again the next week. Is this surgery going to help me have more control?

Edited by 2beorNot2be

Why would you feel guilty for considering surgery? EVERYBODY needs help with something at some point in their life. There is nothing wrong with that. That is all weight loss surgery is, help to move in the direction you need to go.

LMNOP

I too have lost weight many times, always gained it back when I got tired of dieting. Post surgery you will not have a choice. If you choose to eat bad... You are only going to get a small amount in. And you could choose badly every meal... And you could eat all day and take in a lot of calories. So you will still need to exercise some self control. Because you cannot get as much food in post surgery you may find some of your favorite foods are less pleasureable. But it seems easier to get back on track after you have a bad day. Good luck to you, don't feel guilty though.

Depending on which surgery you are having, you will not feel hunger at all or like you do now. You will not be able to fit very much food in either. The hard part is your brain. You have to change, bottom line. I am 11 days post op for by pass. I do not feel hunger, ever. But I had a moment and went looking for junk food. Only to remember those foods are out.

Thanks for the responses! I am currently considering the sleeve. A friend had it done about a year ago & has lost more weight then she ever did dieting on her own. I am waiting for an appointment with a surgeon to discuss things first.

I feel the same way you do. I've lost over 100 pounds three times, but have always gained it back in the long run. I'm beating myself up over wanting surgery, because part of me feels like I should be able to succeed on my own.

My surgeon told me that we are the best kind of WLS candidates, because our bodies have demonstrated the ability to lose weight. He said that the WLS gives us the long term success that we've failed to have so far. If you lose weight by dieting, there is only a 5% chance that you'll keep it off...with surgery it is greater than a 50% chance. Yes, you can regain eventually, but the hope is that you will pick up much better eating habits while the restriction is at its best. Unfortunately, there is no fool-proof method...it will always take some work on our part. The surgery is just a very powerful tool to help you succeed.

@Iwanttofitin> That's good news then huh! Lol I feel if I lived alone without temptation then I would be fine. Then I think well it's not realistic to leave a relationship because that person wants pizza when they know you are out of points. Even when they said they would support you. It's up to me to say no, I've had enough food or I will eat something within my points. I can't rely on my bf to have better willpower then me in order to support me. I'll still have to find the strength to say no when he wants those foods after the surgery so It's all me I guess. Just wish I had better control so bad. Then I could eat decently without surgery. From what i'm hearing is that you can still enjoy foods you loved, you just eat less automatically. I have a naturally thin friend & I seriously remember her take a bite of a snickers I bought her & she was done. Maybe i'll know what that feels like after the surgery lol If I get approved.

Well I enjoyed Wetzel's pretzels before surgery.... Unfortunately I didn't enjoy them after surgery! Oh the pain! I enjoyed smelling them and that didn't hurt! Soooo some things will be a no go... ????

I felt guilty for a little bit. My sister has almost lost 100lbs by herself and why can't I do that. I have lost weight before I lost weight since the start of this journey but what I have to remember that everyone is different what works for my sister might not work for me. I'm using this as a tool to help me loss the weight that I have been carrying for a long time. I just have to put it in my mind that this food and not working out as much as I should is killing me. I want to be her for my son show him the right way and hell maybe have some more. But don't feel guilty for knowing what you need to lead a healthier life.