Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gym Supplements. Need a push

I am 4 weeks post op. I renewed my gym pass. Before surgery I was taking phentermine 37.5 (appetite suppressant, energy booster) so I'd be able to work out for hours.

On phentermine I would push hard and burn lots of calories. I loved what the pill did for me. But my doctor no longer wants me on it because of the long term risk.

Going to the gym without my energy booster is awful. I can barely do 10-15 min on the elliptical at a low resistants. And the treadmill is just a joke. I can barely get to 5 min.

Can someone please help me... Is there something out there that will help me in the gym? Get me going.

Losing weight and becoming healthier are more of an energy boost to me than anything I could take. Your body is undergoing some radical changes. Be patient and keep up the routine and you will get back to where you were without the need for an artificial boost. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the truth!

Thanks Dave. I'm super disappointed in myself. I just wish I could push myself like I did. But it hurts and my energy just isn't there. I practically crawl/ drag myself into the gym now. I know it will take time. I was just hoping for a magic, healthy pill.???? lol

Well the doctor had you on legal speed and it's called that for a reason.

Do you eat before you work out? I do a Protein drink at least 30 minutes to an hour before working out. I'm not talking the ones we drink because of surgery. My pre gym smoothies or Protein Drink typically have spinach or kale, some fruit, almond milk or greek yogurt. Occasionally I will also add a tbsp of almond butter. Occasionally I juice beets and make ice cubes out of them and toss in a few of those as well. Spinach and beets are good energy sources. So now I have plenty of fuel to work out on.

Post workout, I keep nuts, either almond, cashew or pistachio in my car. Sometimes I even carry a hard boiled egg with me to eat in the car ride home. That way I am burning fat not Protein. On days when I don't have my pre-gym drink, I feel lethargic and tired because there's no fuel feeding the engine.

I normally don't work out until around 7pm. an hour after dinner. Thank you for sharing that. I'm definitely going to try that. I just went out and bought some ice trays to try the beets.

FYI - I hate beets. I think they taste like dirt. I use an equally strong flavor to mask the taste.

Either way, get that Protein in before you workout. It should help.

There are pre work out energy shakes u can drink. It will give u a boost. That medication increases your heart rate and is actually terrible for u. Go to GNC and ask someone to help u out. I'm not sure what I drink, I have a personal trainer/my best friend and he just makes it for me! Lol I should probably ask him huh?