Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GERD complications

Hi guys,

I'm over the 2 month mark since VSG. I write this trying to see if others have had similar challenges and can offer any tips.

6+ weeks of throat pain and feeling like something is stuck in my throat. Non stop and impacting quality of life. CT scan, upper GI are normal. Endoscopy shows esphogus is inflammed consistent with acid due to reflux and GERD. I reflux on everything - Protein Shakes, yogurt.... have tried nexium double dose, Prevacid, take rolaids, tums, gavascon.... no relief. On rx called Reglan and now pain meds.

Weight loss is slow but about 1-2 lbs. A week because I'm not working out as I'm in discomfort.

I pray no one else is going thru this. Surgeon did warn me that reflux and GERD can result after vsg. Surgeon has been extremely supportive and helpful.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I'd do anything to not be in this situation. Help.

Did you have a problem with acid reflux pre-surgery?

No acid reflux or any stomach issues prior to surgery. :-(

I suffer the same thing.....raglan makes me tired so I use tums....but now I've been in a stall for 6 weeks .....postop 5 months out...feeling lost

I can't believe that your surgeon didn't warn you about the chance of reflux being greater after VSG. That was probably the main reason I decided on RNY. I had reflux bad before surgery, but gave been lucky since surgery, and have not had any.

Going thru the same thing. My doctors put my in hospital and gave me steroids, pain med and Pepcid. I didn't want to come but I'm glad I did. I FEEL GREAT AND IT WAS INSTANTLY!!!!!!he told me my esophagus was inflamed and it happens. I had reflux too but it was a direct result of the inflammation. I'm still in the hospital as I was admitted last night. The transition was worth it. Oh by the way, because I was unable to get in my fluids, I came dehydrated. My chest X-rays and lab work revealed this info. Feeling better and ready for my journey..

In all fairness, the surgeon mentioned it on two occasions, I just had no idea how uncomfortable esphogus inflammation could be. I thought no biggy, that's what PPI 's are for..... except in my case nothing is helping. Today I'm getting some relief - pray it lasts.

@@onmyway14 - get well soon. I'm sorry you are in the hospital. That's a bummer. Did you feel like something was stuck in your throat too?

Just felt a lot of pressure and bubbles. I'm glad I'm relieved of this uncomfortable feeling. I hope you feel better and we will get thru this.

I had "silent reflux" pre-op, diagnosed with my EGD after which they put me on Omeprazole which helped A LOT. They told me it could get worse with the sleeve and that if it was uncontrollable afterwards the "fix" was a revision to R/Y. It WAS worse post op, but they put me on a second dose of Omaprazole which finally got it under control after the first few weeks, (which were bad). Still take 2x day, (may for the rest of my life) but have no symptoms. Hope you find relief soon.

I'm not sure but some of this sounds a bit like some of what I've going through. After the surgery I was terribly sick. Surgery on Thursday morning and I didn't stop puking until Sunday. Since then I've not been able to tolerate any of the Protein shakes. Dr said at first it was the whey Protein and that it wasn't uncommon. I tried raw protein, soy protein, pumpkin seed powder protein, just about everything I could think of, none of it stayed down. Dr said to make my own shakes using greek yogurt or cottage cheese and fruit. That worked. Only problem is no matter what I eat or drink every bite or sip feel like it gets stuck at the base of my throat, and then when that sensation finally passes, more often than not my stomach either hurts, or I have to fight it coming back up. There isn't really any pain or burning in throat, in my belly sometimes yes, but not my throat. Doc has me taking 20mg Famotidine twice daily, and 300mg Ursodiol twice daily. He said these would be for 6 months. One is for excess acid, and the other is hopefully prevent the formation of gall stones.

I'm not sure what my problem is. I know I'm not drinking enough, my husband has been measuring and I've been getting maybe 24-30 oz of Fluid a day. I'm also not getting enough protein, some days are better than others, but maybe 30-40g on a good day, and a lot less on a bad day. My mind is more alert since the surgery, but I have no strength whatsoever (guessing that has to do with the protein). I'm not peeing very much, but I don't think I'm dehydrated. I've also been having some issues with not being able to poop (sorry, but I'm hoping somebody else out there is having the same issues and maybe got some answers) I've been averaging a bowl movement every couple of weeks or so, give or take. All this is beginning to concern me. I was supposed to see the surgeon 3 days ago, but no one ever told me about the appointment (no phone call, no nothing), but they did call when I missed it. The appt has been rescheduled for Dec 5.

I've lost a lot of weight since the surgery (I'm not sure I mentioned DOS, it was Oct 23,2014). 50 pounds in a smidge over 4 weeks. I'm certainly not complaining about that. So far I'm not regretting having decided to do it, but I'm getting really tired of not feeling well. My blood sugar is dropping too low, and I often get dizzy walking around. I'd be grateful if you tell me some of this sounds familiar. I certainly hope you begin to fell better, and I wish you the absolute best of luck. Please let me know how you are getting along. Take care of yourself.

I have a prescription for Omeprazole too. They found evidence of GERD on my barium X-ray, but I hadn't really had any symptoms before. They have me taking it for the first 3 months, then said I can switch to OTC. No symptoms yet.

@@Betts69 have you tried B-Complex and B12 for energy? I'm using both that's liquid. Also, I'm not pooping either. But I was thing that nothing's really going in so nothing's coming out. The nurses have checked my bowel sounds and everything's good just waiting.

That's good to know about the yogurt and cottage cheese. I've tried some putter chocolate Protein that tastes like Reese's cups that I thought was awesome prior to my surgery so I'll try this again. I go thru bodybuilding.com vises GNC because the prices are cheaper and I find that they have a bigger variety.

I hope you find some Protein that will agree with you. I will now start mine as well. I will be discharged today due to my swallowing issues.

Please keep me posted. Stay encouraged!

I have the same issues I was doing great right up until the 10th month and then all it hit me I was active went to the gym I have lost over 100 pounds, but the burning and stomach ache is so bad after I eat or drink I am on the couch with a heating pad seems like I have to try and push stuff threw , I am on Omeprazole 40 mg 2 times a day and Zantac 300 mg at night and now they are trying Sucralfate 4 times a day I only eat cause I have to get a little in and don't drink as much as I should. I get a endo tomorrow I have had a upper G.I and shows nothing and had a chest xray shows nothing but I know there is something going on in there cause I can feel it and I have became very uncomfortable lazy.

vannort, I hope you feel better real soon. Please keep in touch and let me know how you make out with all of this. I certainly hope you can get off some of that medication. I wish you all the very best. Try to have a Happy Holiday.

~ Beth

Thank you Beth and same to you.