Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

phase 2 if you cant tolerate protein shakes... any idea on what to do?

Can you grind up chicken, puree it into a soft Soup like if you cant do shakes? sounds so yummy :(

this is also a potential concern of mine! so far i cannot tolerate the clear Protein drinks due to allergies. there is something in them that closes my throat or makes me very gassy/bloated/sickly feeling. i also seemed to have developed an intolerance for artificial sweetners as they too make me bloated and the pink packets (forget the name) are giving me migraines!

i am hoping that my Protein whey powder will be agreeable with me. however, i do know that many people begin getting their protein from foods as soon as they can and some forego the shakes altogether because of cost or taste or allergies, etc.

cottage cheese, your fat free milks and other soft cheeses will get you protein in immediately. try those, but make sure they are ALL lactose free for now. i have Lactaid products--they make cottage cheeses, milks and other cheeses! here is the sample PHASE II menu i brought home from the hospital (anything with *** is MY personal addition to this meal plan--things that I have added for me individually):

8:00am - 4-6 tablespoons cooked hot Cereal, 2 tablespoons Lactaid fat free milk to thin out, 1 chewable Multivitamin, ***1 sublingual Biotin tablet

9:00am - 1 cup Lactaid fat free milk -- SIP SLOWLY!!! -- 1/4 cup every 15 minutes

10:00am - 1 cup low calorie juice or Water -- SIP SLOWLY!!! -- 1/4 cup every 15 minutes, ***1 chewable Calcium tablet (my menu has you taking this tablet at 8am with your Multivitamin but i don't like to take Calcium and Multivitamins together), ***1 sublingual B12 tablet

11:00am - 3 tablespoons non fat, sugar free yogurt

12:00 noon - 1 cup low calorie juice or Water -- SIP SLOWLY!!! -- 1/4 c every 15 minutes

1:00pm - 1/4 - 1/2 cup strained cream Soup, 1 chewable calcium tablet

2:00pm - 1 cup caffiene free tea with sugar substitute -- SIP SLOWLY!!! -- 1/4 cup every 15 minutes

3:00pm - 1 cup liquid Protein supplement -- SIP SLOWLY!!! -- 1/4 cup every 15 minutes

5:00pm - 3-4 tablespoons sugar free instant pudding with 1 scoop Protein Powder added

6:00pm - 1/4 - 1/2 cup blended soup, 1 chewable calcium tablet

7:00pm - 1 cup lactaid fat free milk -- SIP SLOWLY!!! -- 1/4 cup every 15 minutes

8:00pm - 3 tablespoons nonfat, sugar free yogurt, 1 chewable calcium tablet (if prescribed)

9:00pm - 1 cup water -- SIP SLOWLY!!! -- 1/4 cup every 15 minutes

as you can see from my sample menu---the only need for processed Protein is the scoops at the end of the day! maybe this will be a good plan for you until you reach Phase III and beyond.

That's a good daily menu plan. I'm so afraid I won't be able to follow something like that once I got back to work . It gets so crazy at times. The only person who I told at my job was one of my managers that I was planning on having the surgery.

I'm a Banker at Chase, so if a customer comes in to open an account that process takes like 40-45 mins so I'm tied up with that and if it's a business account even longer. If their account is compromised then have to call fraud file claims, then open new account n all that so it's a longer process. Some days it's not too busy n other days it's like omgosh lol. I start at 7:45 and if I have coffee or Breakfast it becomes my lunch instead don't get a chance till around 11:30-12....

your health comes first so it's best to start figuring out how you can work around the work holdups now. perhaps bring your liquid with you in a tumbler or other protected cup so it doesn't spill.

your health comes first so it's best to start figuring out how you can work around the work holdups now. perhaps bring your liquid with you in a tumbler or other protected cup so it doesn't spill.

I know, i just got my approval n Im gonna ask for a day in Jan. So I'm gonna work on getting into a better habit the next few weeks and prepare

It depends on what your stages are, everyone's are a little different. I was on full liquids when I was discharged so a cream of chicken Soup made with pureed chicken would have been find. For that matter if you buy powdered milk you can add that to pretty much any soup. Just run everything thru a blender or nutra bullet so it's liquefied.

I know, i just got my approval n Im gonna ask for a day in Jan. So I'm gonna work on getting into a better habit the next few weeks and prepare

They recommend you take off at least 4 weeks postop. That will get you through the most intense days. This depends of course, on your surgeon's recommended eating schedule. My schedule wasn't as intense as the one @mrsbailey921 posted. I was on full liquids for the first 2 weeks but my doctor had a schedule of 3 small "meals" and 2 "snacks" and drinking Water with a 30 minute window before and after eating. Hard to call it eating when it was all liquids, but it was only 2 weeks and it was manageable.

Edited by Blerdgirl

Pre-surgery: two Protein Shakes and one low fat meal a day and unlimited veggies n ice pops. In my post op instructions are:

The day before surgery all liquid and then the day of and 24 hrs after NOTHING so guessing No Water :( then day after clear liquid 1-2oz every 20 mins. Then once I go home full liquids for a week and two high Protein shakes a day. Week two and three puréed foods they gave us a list of items. No juice anymore n I love oj n apple juice lol

There are Protein puddings you can try. GNC sells them. When I was on purees I put meat in my food processor and ground it down. You can also bake and cook with Protein Powder. Once you are on soft foods you can make whole wheat pancakes and add in protein powder. Same with muffins or baked goods.

If you are still using GENEPRO, do you still like/use it? Concerned about wasting money since others say it is not possible to put that much Protein in such a small quantity.

I am on my second bag of GENEPRO Protein powder. It is my safety net when I can't get all my protein from food, which is often since I am still learning to balance food and Water. I made Beans and ham after Christmas and I was adding it to that. I also still have lite and fit yogurt on hand to add it to either in the morning to Jumpstart my protein for the day or at night if I don't hit my protein that day.