Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having near panic attacks about my surgery on Tuesday! Would love some advice and experiences from you

This site has been a real blessing but at the same time I am having sever doubt about doing this. I'm 6'2 326 (lost 23 pounds on pre op diet) 43 with no health problems other than sleep apnea. My blood work all came back perfect, I exercise a lot, and am really pretty active. I've been successful 2 times in the last 18 years of getting down below 265 which for me is 20% BMI but obviously both times I came back up after maintaing for a few years to just under 350. I travel a lot for work and pleasure and I'm scared that I will never be the same. Will I be able to have a great glass of wine with my fish, etc...

So I've really dedicated to the pre op diet and it's working and I'm thinking I can drop the weight again and use the fear I'm feeling as permanent motivation to keep it off. I worry that I'm doing this without any current health issues and risking getting some from the surgery.I'm sure you guys had a lot of the same feelings. How did you overcome them? If you were in a similar situation to mine would you do it/do it again? Any help would be great I admire all of you here for going through with this and being so open and willing to help weirdos like me.

I haven't had the surgery yet, but I was in the same boat as you a couple of days ago. I'm on the preop diet with a surgery date of 03 December. I went to the grocery store and had a total meltdown about what the h e double hockey sticks am I thinking! What if I do liquid for 3 days a week and diet the other 4...and other thoughts about not doing the surgery. For me, it was an evening/nights worth of angst but I shook it off because I have lost weight, probably literally thousands of times in my 50 years. If I could figure it out and do it on my own I would have already done it. This "assistant" that I'm getting is the one thing that I haven't done yet. So for me, the risk of not having the retirement/relationship with my grandkids, quality of life as I get older are enough to continue this journey. But I think everyone has to decide for themselves...and wish you the best in working through your thoughts and coming to the best decision you can for you.

Hello :). I can totally relate to your post. I began the journey back in June. Through attending nutrition classes and support meetings, eating less than 1200 calories a day, and exercising on a regular basis, I've lost 40 pounds. My sleeve surgery will happen on Dec. 16th. The same thoughts of being able to do this w/o surgery have paused me a moment or two. Here's why getting the surgery is a must for me:

There is no such thing as a healthy obese person...as high instances of cancer, diabetes, arthritis, and other diseases may not present right now but chances are will present themselves in the future

I survived thyroid cancer, and truly feel God has given me the opportunity to live the next 50 years as a healthy active person. I will not throw His opportunity away.

According to my nutritionist, 99% of those who lost a significant amount of weight on their own, gain it back and then some. On the other hand, 50% of those who had WLS keep the weight off for the rest of their lives. I personally like those odds!

Plus I have had 14 surgeries in my lifetime...what's one more? LOL

Anyhoo, I hope this helps. Btw, I'm hoping that with the tool of Wls combined with the habits I have developed, will result in reaching my goal weight of 50 more lbs lost.

I had the same exact thoughts before my sleeve surgery on 11/4. For me, it was that food addict brain talking ... rationalizing ... trying to tell me that I could do it on my own ... the same way I did the last 2 times I lost over 100 pounds ... and gained it all back plus some. I finally stood up to myself and said, "I don't want to be able to physically overeat again!" So, I had the surgery about 2 and a half weeks ago. The first week on Clear Liquids was pretty tough, but after that ... THE NEW ME!!! Psychologically, food doesn't have that pull any more. As my surgeon described it ... it was like a lobotomy for my stomach. I had big doubts before surgery, and even a few small doubts during the first week ... but now, no regrets. I still enjoy food. It just doesn't talk to me like it used to. It doesn't whisper bad things to me anymore. I eat to live, not live to eat. With the removal of the ghrelin in the stomach, I don't get hungry any more. I just eat because I know I need to.

I had an easy time of it and no complications or issues in the hospital. I was much larger than you with no co-morbidities but I do have severe allergies and arthritis from meniscus repair as a result of a skiing injury.

You sound ready and committed to a healthier lifestyle. Stay positive!

Edited by Blerdgirl

I definitely had the same thoughts. I lost 150 pounds pre-surgery, so I knew I could do it on my own. I finally came to the conclusion that the surgery would help me lose the last 100 quicker and help me keep it off. Staying at a healthy weight for life is my biggest motivator at this point.

Good luck!

I had the am thoughts before my surgery! I was sleeved on 7/31 and lost 37lbs on the pre op diet. The day before my surgery I contemplated backing out. I thought I had things under control. I lost almost 40lbs by myself. Then I realized that I did not lose it on my own. I had assistance from my surgeon and my NUT. I was making excuses in my head to not go through with it. I was a food addict. I loved to eat. I decided to go through with it and I am so thankful I did! I have lost a total of 88lbs and I am the smallest I have ever been in my adult life. My weight when I began this journey was 316lbs and today I weigh 228lbs. I feel amazing! Stay positive! View this as a tool to help you continue the journey. I have absolutely no regrets!

I am so with you!!!!! My surgery is Monday and I am scaring myself to death. I am just going in Demanding some kind of sedative and pray I make it out alive. If I do I will be happy I did this because I know I can't keep it off on my own!

Well ... you are probably out of the OR by now. I hope everything went well for you. No matter what negative things your brain tells you over the next week, just know that around week 2, it GETS BETTER. That cream Soup that you taste for the first time will be "gourmet soup", and you'll notice results almost immediately after the first week. I'm 3 weeks out as of today, and I would do it all over again. Good luck to you!

I think you are normal!

Change is hard. Unknown is hard.

I have a sign I see each morning as I get ready it says "Don't let doubt keep you from your potential." I like it because it reminds me to take risks, to try, to forgive myself and try again when I fail, and that I am not yet at my potential - life just gets better and better.

With your anxiety and mixed feelings I would suggest writing. Write all your worries, concerns, hopes, frustrations, goals, the whys of what you are doing, just write. No one ever needs to see it but you. It is a safe way to dump and process a lot and I find by the end of my writing session I have totally sorted myself out and feel better.

I have also found when the rough spots in life come, if I go back and see where I was emotionally and why I made the choices I did, it confirms to me I am OK, on the right path for me, and this is just a rough patch! Or it is time to make a course correction as I am off base in my current thinking!

I have used this for all my BIG decisions and I can say I made the correct decision at the time ---and each had a rough patch to prove it to me where I thought I had totally messed up and questioned myself.

Look forward, place your worries in a safe spot where you don't have to carry them, remind yourself of your WHY you have gotten to this point and if the reasons are still valid, and move forward.

Good Luck!

Thank You!

I hope it helps!