Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice for 4 days post op

I am 4 days post op from the laparoscopic RNY and I'm not doing great. I didn't tolerate the anesthesia..I had severe Migraines and nausea. I couldn't even sit Bedside until 12 hours post op. I didn't tolerate the morphine pain pump well either, still having nausea and migraines after each use. When I stop to eat and drink no nausea so I'm thankful that isn't the reason. I came home yesterday and I am walking around the house and have liquid Percocet which makes my heart race and if I take the full dose I have extreme Migraine pain with occasional nausea. I went 12 hours with no pain meds just because I'd rather deal with the pain than the knife in my head pain and nausea. I just had a small portion of cottage cheese and took 5ml of the liquid Percocet since it says I can take 5 or 10 every 6 hours. I don't want to be in pain and slow my progress but I also don't want to be bed bound from migraine and nausea from the side effects. One more thing, every time I wake up whether I'm sitting up or laying down I have severe pain in the top of my head for about a half an hour and I just have to sit and let it pass. I just woke up from an hour nap about a half hour ago and didn't experience that however I didn't have the Percocet in my system..not sure if I should just cut back on it? When will I start to feel more normal? I am eating and drinking well, my abdomen is tight and extremely sore, my back is also stiff. What has everyone else's recovery been like?

Edited by little_mrs

Everyone is different but I completely stopped pain meds night of surgery. I had a revision and really had almost no pain at all. I do not like the feeling pain meds give my head lol good lu k!

Everyone is different but I completely stopped pain meds night of surgery. I had a revision and really had almost no pain at all. I do not like the feeling pain meds give my head lol good lu k![/quote

Ok thank you! I will definetly do with out them as soon as I'm able!

When did you start to feel normal again after the original surgery?

After my RNY surgery, I refused all pain meds. There was very little pain associated with the surgery and all was well. Walking will help with the recovery process. I walked religiously pre-op in preparation for the surgery and for several months after the surgery.

Every one is different but if it was me, I would get off the pain medicine. You will probably encounter many different types of problems that you must work through post-op. For example, right after surgery, I became lactose intolerant. Right after I drank a glass of milk, I was in the bathroom with diarrhea. I hated the injections to counter blood clots. I couldn't swallow the large Calcium pills. It took me 6 months to reach my happy state, when all the problems seemed to melt away. Then everything was fine. Just work through the problems one at a time and things will get better.

Agreed with the earlier posts about the pain meds. I am super sensitive to them and had dizziness, lightheartedness and headaches with the morphine post op. All narcotics make me sick, so my doctor suggested liquid Tylenol if I needed it but so far, ten days out I have only taken it once.

Thank you so much for the info! I will stick with the liquid Tylenol. Also I have been having a lot of diahrea the last two days but the only thing I've eaten is cottage cheese, maybe I also have a problem with lactose??

I had diarrhea for the first week post op, but it has resolved. You can always cut out the lactose and try adding it back later.

I also had bowel issues first 10 days.. I would rather have diarrhea than be backed up which is a big issues with narcotics. I felt great a couple days after surgery.. I did a lot of walking because most of the pain you feel is gas pain from the air being trapped during the surgery. Walk walk walk! It helps to get that gas moving out. I have had no trouble with dairy or sugars (I haven't tried over 10grams though and I won't) my trouble is with anything fried. So I pretty much eat cleanly. You will be feeling great before you know it! Feel free to msg me if you need any help ????