Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss plateaus and a bit of panic.

Hi everyone!

I'm 7 weeks post gastric bypass and for the past couple of weeks the weight has remained the same. I'm exercising, having the Protein supplements and trying to eat most of what was asked of me. Now I started to feel hungry again - but not much - so I no longer need to set alarm reminders to eat. I've read other posts saying that those weight loss plateaus are expected however I seem to be doing things that other people were not doing... In summary, I am panicking a bit thinking that this will not work for me and that I am always going to be overweight. I've dropped 17kg (37 pounds) so far.

Please let me know if you've been through this as well. Any suggestions? Thank you!

37 pounds in 7 weeks is great! The weight loss is not going to be at a steady rate. I had 2 ten-day periods where I lost nothing then would drop a pound a day for a few days straight.

Make sure you're on plan with your food and exercise and just stay on track. The weight will HAVE to follow. Also, I've heard that when you're not losing pounds, you're losing inches. I'm not sure if that's true but it's worth taking a measurement or two or having some really tight pair of jeans to try on every couple of days so you can tell if inchces are dropping.

And be sure you're really staying on plan. Are you getting your recommended Protein every day? My goal is 80 g/day set by my doctor. I eat no processed ccarbs at all -- no bread, no rice, no crackers -- fruits, veggies and Protein. Drink that Water all the time. Don't drink and eat -- no drinking 30 minutes before or after eating.

You're in the right place to get support -- just keep moving!

Ginger Snaps is right. This process, although relatively short in comparison with non-surgical approaches, is NOT a straight-down-diagonal slide. I am down over 100 pounds now, and I am currently enjoying (not!) my fourth mini-stall. I usually stay on one about 10-14 days; even though I am careful to make my food and exercise remain consistent. Seven weeks is still pretty early. DO NOT WORRY!! As time goes by, you will be amazed and thrilled...and wonder why you ever fretted in the first place. BTW, if you have a lot to lose, you will encounter more stalls along the way. It's your body taking a well deserved breath.

Thank you for your comments.

Day of surgery I was 260 pounds and goal weight set by the doctor is 143 pounds; so I've lost 37 out of 117; there is 80 to go.

The amount of Protein I take every day depends on how much I exercise. If it is a day I push myself I take 30g of Protein more than the 'normal diet' supplement prescribed. I found out that by having Protein drinks while exercising I can do more and don't feel dizzy.

When it comes to food quantities I'm never sure if I am going to be able to eat everything that is carefully measured and added to my plate. Sometimes I eat fine and find that I could even eat a little more if I wanted to, other times I cannot eat more than two or three spoons.

So, as you said it is early days and I suppose my body is still adapting to its new metabolism. Well, I am just adapting to my new metabolism! It's just that after so many years of dieting and trying everything to lose weight and not getting anywhere it's my natural response to panic a bit when I hit a plateau! But I am feeling much better after reading your comments so once again, thank you ever so much!!! You are stars!!!

Hold the vision and trust the process.

I agree with all the above statements stalls will happen and occur, stay focus on working on one day at a time, I am now 6 months post opt and i just attended a refocus group today that my bariatric group had, it was good discussing accountability, staying focus on protein/ exercise and to not weigh your self daily, they suggest you weigh yourself once per week if you must. We had the opportunity to meet people who were 10 years post opt up until 2 weeks. And that stalls are normal and your body is always adjusting to the new you. Congrats on your choice to being healthy and keep us posted on your progress. Your new you is so worth it.

@@Mel_74 Are you me? At about the same point in my journey, I could have written your exact post. Everyone assured me at the time that all I had to do was stay on plan. They were right! Stay on plan and give your body the time it needs to adjust to the new program and you will see amazing results.

Thank you for your words; they mean a lot! It is great to not feel alone in this journey! xx

I too am 6 weeks post op. I have lost 36 pounds although 18 were preop. I lost the first 13 within the first 2 weeks and then it feels like I have lost nothing since then. Lol well ive lost 5 in 4 weeks. I have been following the plan closely. I am starting to feel defeated as well. Everyone keeps saying it will happen...I just hope I am not a failure.

@@fedup08 I really understand your feelings. It's a lot to deal with and I think the first weeks impressive weight loss turns into deception afterwards. But thinking about it, it would be really unhealthy to drop all the weight we need to that quickly.

I don't want to sound patronising but YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE! You are just - as I am - at the beginning of a live changing process and still learning as you go along!

I'm at the gym now; putting my fears aside and getting ready to try a much more demanding class. I have to start somewhere, right?

I hope you have a great day - I could go for a great week but now I take one day at a time! ;) So, today is going to be great! xx

I found during my first year sleeved, that my stalls were accompanied by size changes ( drops) . It seems the the body needs to shift around. Relax - you've got this!

I hope so! All your guys' support definately makes things better! I think I did have unrealistic expectations. You read how fast everyone loses.

I was worried I was the only one with these issues, today is start of my 5th week post op and I didn't lose anything last week. I've lost 19 since surgery and 42 over all, but I don't feel like it's enough. Everyone keeps asking me how much I've lost, the pressure of them asking is almost too much.

I'm also experiencing a stall. I had RNY on 9/22, and have lost 40 lbs. my scale hasn't move in 2 weeks. I'm not following the plan exactly because I tend to eat the carbs with the Protein. I have made casseroles, and although I'm eating very little, I believe eating simple carbs might be the problem. Back to the plan! You all are inspiring me!

I'm 8 weeks out tomorrow and I have hit a few mini stalls as they last a little over 1 week and a half. I have lost 34 lbs overall and 26 lbs since surgery. I find that I will lose 3-4 lbs over the course of a couple of days, then sit there for a week or more. Eventually all this worry will be for naught. Hang in there I'm in the same boat with you.