Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BCBS OF TEXAS

I need HELP I have bcbs of tx through my employer and was told there is an exclusion for weightloss surgery. I actually found a doctor that does surgery for people who have a hiatal hernia and the out of pocket is not very expensive but the coordinator tells me my insurance does not cover hernia repair either. I refuse to give up just looking for some advice is there a way around this?

I would think the hernia repair would be covered, I'd double check on that. I also have BCBS of Texas and any WLS is specifically excluded. Sadly, that's not unusual to have the exclusion in small business group policies or individual policies. If you have the option to change insurance companies at work, I'd check into it.
Your best bet would probably working for a large company and getting group coverage thru them.

A couple of years back I looked into the state pool, insurance for people that can't get coverage elsewhere. At the time the surgery was covered. However, coverage is much more expensive and by the time I could apply, I discovered that they had excluded the coverage.

Is there any chance you could finance it yourself? I know there are companies that will finance medical expenses.

I've been wanting to do this for about 10 years and even though I have to pay for it all, I've decided to go ahead.

Best of luck to you!

Same here :/. I have BCBSTX through a local school district. My employer elected not to cover WLS, but I do have general benefits that would cover the hernia repair…HOWEVER, it would have to be at one of the in-network facilities and all of the places that offer the surgical discount w/ hernia repair are out of network. Bummer!

I've decided not to let the insurance thing hold me back. Headed to Mexico w/ Dr. Alvarez in March.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches