Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCP and affiliation issues?

So anyway, Today I had my big meeting with my surgeon and the nurse practitioner. Well because I have some issues with the company I work for, we are in a time constraint. My surgeon knows this and is working with me to move fast. So his team that deals with the insurance, (great people by the way) asked me to see if I could get the office notes from my primary care physician (pcp) for the past two years and a letter saying there was no reason he could think of medically why I shouldn't be a good candidate for bariatric surgery. Well ive had my PCP for nigh on 20 years. I knew I would have no problems. So I drove to the doctors office and sure they gave me the office notes but then there was a problem. My pcp who had been a friend even for years refused to write the letter. Not for any medical reason, but because his practice is affiliated with a different hospital than the one im having my surgery in. The hospital he is affiliated with couldn't get me in to their program for 9 months at a minimum and I would have to have ll my tests done in boston, a good distance from my home, and expensive to park etc. Also the surgeon I chose has done over 100 sleeves, and theirs has not.

So I talked with my team and they basically said we will go without his letter and we should be ok.

I ask , have any of you dealt with affiliation issues and your PCP?

Honestly, I would be finding a new pcp. If they couldn't write you a letter, for the surgeon you chose, they are not worth your time, or loyalty.

I don't understand why your primary would do that. They aren't doing the surgery. The only thing I had to do differently was some of the test had to be at a different hospital. My radiology, pulmonary function, barium swallow and sleep study were at a different hospital but that wasn't due to my primary. That was due to my insurance company's preference. They capitated me to that hospital. If I had gotten those test at my surgeon's hospital I would have had to pay the difference out of pocket. As long as they sent the result to my surgeon in a timely manner I had no issue with getting tested elsewhere.

Edited by Blerdgirl

If my physician puts his "affiliation" over my health, he is no longer my physician. Period. That is ridiculous! Best of luck with the approval!

Luckily my PCP always keeps his patient's best interest a priority. Not only with health, but also financial concerns. He runs a satellite office associated with a nearby hospital (where he is also an ER doc) But he knows how pricey the hospital lab fees are, so he actually sends his patients to an outside "express lab" when possible because they are 1/4 the cost. Love that guy!

Change PCP!!