Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goals During the Holiday Season

Goals During the Holiday Season  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are you changing your goals as we head into the holiday season?

• No, I plan to stick to my normal diet and I’m keeping the same goals for weight loss and eating.
    • Yes, I’m still planning to lose weight, but maybe not as fast as I have been recently.
    • Yes. If I get through the holiday season without gaining weight, I’ll be thrilled.
    • Yes, I’m giving up on the scale and making it my goal to eat cleanly.
    • Yes. I’m not going to worry about the holidays, and I’ll take stock on January 1 to see what I need to do to get back on track.
    • Other. Let us know in the conversation below!

The holiday season can be a nightmare for anyone trying to lose weight. Once you’ve started thinking seriously about weight loss surgery or you’ve had weight loss surgery, you’re even more serious about eating healthy. Still, it can be tough to eat as cleanly as you do at other times during the year. For that reason, many weight loss surgery patients modify their goals for November and December to make them more realistic given the holiday treats that are everywhere. Are you changing your goals as we head into the holiday season?

• No, I plan to stick to my normal diet and I’m keeping the same goals for weight loss and eating.
  • Yes, I’m still planning to lose weight, but maybe not as fast as I have been recently.
  • Yes. If I get through the holiday season without gaining weight, I’ll be thrilled.
  • Yes, I’m giving up on the scale and making it my goal to eat cleanly.
  • Yes. I’m not going to worry about the holidays, and I’ll take stock on January 1 to see what I need to do to get back on track.
  • Other. Let us know in the conversation below!

Mark your answer and explain it in the conversation below! We want to know how you adjust your goals for the holidays.

my goal is enjoy being with my hub and enjoy my life as it is now...my lap band/plication will help me not eat as much and i will eat some of this and some of that...i am not worried about losing/gaining weight..i am more focused on what these coming holidays mean...family....i recently lost my mom, my inlaws both sick (father in law colon/liver cancer) and my son and his family over in england....THIS to me is what is important.

this means i will still be aware of choices and i will continue to walk daily..its a regular day...

I plan to enjoy the 4 day weekend with my son's (the ones that show up) and my animals :) Hubs and I plan to make our traditional Holiday meal which always consists of too much food.

The beauty of it is preparing it and filling the house with warmth, good smells and lots of love! All the extra food never goes to waste as I buy lots of zip lock containers and send the all the kids home with nice home cooked meal they can have again the next day. Same for me and hubs!

I find that we spend so much of the "day" cooking and hosting that we don't really eat all that much. My belly gets full on the aroma:) and we will only have a small plate when we finally sit down to dinner. Thanksgiving is a full 5 course meal in my house, all prepared from scratch. Yes it's the one day of the year that I actually cook!!! OK well I cook on Holiday's only :) It reminds me of my big Italian family that is mostly all gone now, and all the good times we had.

I pump up the Christmas Music much to the kids and husbands chagrin and love to belt out those tunes as I bop around the house chopping and mixing and basting and having fun! So we get our exercise in as well!!! The whole has makes it's holiday transformation, so there's lots of up and down the stairs up and down from the attic and lots of bending and stretching to baste the turkey and pull down all the ingredients from the top shelves!

It's just me and my two sons fr Christmas,so I won't have huge quanities of food on hand anyway. I will probably have a taste of pumpkin pie and alittle of everything. I'm pretty careful about sticking to my limit,especially after an episode of vomiting a few weeks ago,so not too worried.

We're going to be away for Thanksgiving this year so the focus on food will be a little less than normal. But I do intend to taste some stuffing during dinner and some dessert. I 'm afraid that even a small taste could affect weight loss, however. I've been avoiding simple carbs completely. I'll log my food and stay within a 1200 calorie limit on each holiday. That is a nice relaxation of my normal limit, but not so much that I'll be throwing my progress out the window.

I think Christmas is a lot easier holiday to adapt to versus halloween and thanksgiving, that are strictly food focused. With all the decorations, traditions, songs and activities, food takes a back seat and I at least hope I'll feel a lot less dissonance between my first sleeved Christmas and years past.

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 17 so I'm hoping I'll at least get some strained cream Soup in addition to my Clear liquids for Christmas.

Thanksgiving will be our first big holiday without both parents. Mom passed Nov 29, 2013, Black Friday and Dad passed in late April. We have reservations at an upscale restaurant for all three of us "kids" and our families. I'll try to eat only until I'm full and watch the carbs and fats. But, honestly, I'm not gonna worry too much about it. I'm gonna focus on enjoying family time and sweet memories of Mom and Dad.

Since this is just the beginning of my journey, I'm just worried about following drs orders and being healthy - whatever weight comes off will be great.