Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Often Do You Weigh Yourself?

How Often Do You Weigh Yourself?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How Often Do You Weigh Yourself?

• Every day, and I record (or remember) it as my “official” weight.
    • Every day because it keeps me focused, but I only count it as an “official” weigh-in once a week.
    • Every week, to monitor how I’m doing.
    • Just once a month. I have plenty of other things to worry about besides what the scale says.
    • Not often anymore. I’m at my goal weight or I’ve been losing weight long enough that I know how I’m doing.
    • Other. Let us know in the conversation below!

Weighing yourself is part of losing weight and keeping it off. You Celebrate when you see a “good” weight, and you reconsider your diet and exercise when the number’s not what you hoped. The number on the scale keeps you accountable, but it’s not the only way to measure success. Weighing yourself is important, but doing it too often can hold you back. How often do you weigh yourself?

• Every day, and I record (or remember) it as my “official” weight.
  • Every day because it keeps me focused, but I only count it as an “official” weigh-in once a week
  • Every week, to monitor how I’m doing.
  • Just once a month. I have plenty of other things to worry about besides what the scale says.
  • Not often anymore. I’m at my goal weight or I’ve been losing weight long enough that I know how I’m doing.
  • Other. Let us know in the conversation below!

Mark your answer and then explain it in the discussion below! We want to know how weighing yourself fits into your weight loss plan!

I started weighing myself ever day but quickly found out how stalls were so disappointing and worrysome. Now I weigh myself once a week and really makes it exciting to see my weight loss progress.

I am only 11 days postop so I weigh myself every day because it is new and exciting to see those numbers going down! :D I only record it weekly though.

Every time I use the bathroom, I hop on the scale. Even in the middle of the night. I guess I transferred my food addiction to the scale I also check bariatricpal way too often!

I am just 25 days post op and made a decision to just get weighed at my surgeon and PCP appointments until Jan. Which will be about every 2 weeks or so.

I try to weigh myself about once a month or so at the same scale - the one at my doctor's office. That is where I recorded my official starting weight and I use that scale. I'll try to pop in the office even if I don't have an appointment just to weigh in. I really focus on sticking to the plan, eating right, and exercising. I feel if I do these things the weight will come off.

I never weighed myself before I got to goal. I saved the drum roll for the surgeons office. Now that I am at goal I weigh once a week. just to keep on target! :)

I weigh myself every day but have not changed the official weight on this site (which is my lowest but not current weight). I have been fluctuating between 150 and 162 for the past 4 months. Most days I am at 155 but I am trying to get back to loosing the weight. My challenge is getting the Protein in without gaining weight. When I get more than 55 gms with fruit(1 serving) and veggies(1 serving), I tend to gain weight and my labs show a low total serum Protein level (5.4 on the last lab). If I only eat protein I can get about 70 gms of protein a day but know I need to be able to add fruit and veggies for a balanced diet. When I do loose some weight I never get lower than the 150 mark.

I weigh myself every day or every other day so I see how I'm doing. I lose very slowly and stall for long periods and I record my weight only when I get to a new low.

Everyday but only count once a week, because as someone who is prone to retain Fluid I know that the scale fluctuates a lot throughout the day. I weigh in the morning just after using the bathroom and right before a shower.

Only when I go to the doctor or once a month whichever comes first. My food diary and how my body feels is actually a better indication of how I am doing. This was especially true prior to my surgery. If I was eating properly, drinking Water and exercising I would lose no problem, so if I didn't have a doctor's appt I could stop by my GP and get weighed. Checking the scale even on a weekly basis just makes me crazy.

Now that I have had been sleeved and I'm seeing the doctor monthly I practice the same philosophy. I focus on following the program, getting my exercise and drinking enough Water. I'm 8 weeks and feel really, really good! I also look at other NSVs. My seatbelt in the car is looser. My bras are looser. My swimsuit is looser. Walking is easier.

I weigh every day. It keeps me accountable.

My scientific brain tells me: the more datas, the better. if I weighed myself daily & recorded- cycles and trends would be evident, probably screaming at me; week-to-week, month-to-month, year-to-year.

There's value in visually seeing these trends in order to self-course-correct and adjust. If it's too cyclical, it would reveal times of the month/year weight goes up due to emotional, or biological (northerners put on 2-3lbs when whether turns cold) or something else.

It would also reveal weightloss trends.

I've never "officially" recorded my weight, heck, I never knew there was an OFFICIAL weight..

I've gotten a few apps- FItnessPal and a couple others- put in my starting weight, recorded a few daily weigh-ins, the food diary- for a couple weeks/months and gave up. It began to interfere with my day, constantly getting emails, notifications & the worst, reminders that I hadn't entered any data in awhile.

The real me weighs in - mornings, before or after shower, sometimes sporadically, & sometimes daily for a few weeks.

The last number that I see on the scale is my "official weight" I keep that number in my head (not obsessively) until the next number appears.

Edited by NewLife'sGr8

Now that I've just typed all that, I'm thinking it's probably time to go & re-visit FitnessPal.

I would definitely give MFP another go. My suggestion is to use it as a guide. Most days I fill it in for the day first thing in the morning. It helps me stay on track. In the evening I review and adjust what I did or didn't eat, add in my exercise and then close it out. I don't have it set to send me many notifications because I don't need it blowing up my phone but I can tell if I'm gaining/losing by looking at MFP. The scale typically just verifies it for me and gives me a definitive number.

Now that I've just typed all that, I'm thinking it's probably time to go & re-visit FitnessPal.

Edited by Blerdgirl