Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to change surgeon

I'm new here but hoping someone can help me or give me some sound advice. I decided in Aug 2014 to have the bypass surgery as I read it can really help with diabetes which I was diagnosed with last year and now take 5 shots per day. I was familiar with the director of bariatric surgery of the local hospital as he had performed my colonoscopy last year. After attending his information class, I decided to proceed with the gastric bypass. I've completed all of his requirements then yesterday had another appointment with him hoping my package would now be ready to submit to the insurance company for approval. I've told him all along I neet to get this done by the end of the year since I've met my out of pocket maxium and because of my job. Our busy season starts January 1st and it's impossible to get PTO until June. He had previously said at my Oct appointment that if I was able to get everything done by the Nov appointment and assuming my insurance company doesn't take weeks to approve then I should be able to get it done by the end of the year. At my appointment yesterday he said he would review my paperwork at my Dec 11 appointment and I should have surgery in Jan or Feb. I left his office in tears! I'm ready to find another doctor!

Any advice would be very appreciated!

I don't know if you could speed this up by changing doctors, unless their is another doctor in the same practice who has an earlier open surgery date. I thought the same thing with my doctor. I wanted to do the surgery right now as work is slowing down. The office offered mid December but that is the busiest time for me. We will do this in January when things are slow again at work. This is frustrating for you. If you are comfortable with your doctor, I suggest you ask to see him again as soon as possible and ask again for a date this year- or ask to be put on a wait list. People do cancel these surgeries. Schedules can change.

If you change drs- ask if your tests so far would work. I have seen on this board people who get insurance approval and less than two weeks later they have the surgery. It all depends on how busy the dr is or the practice. You might call your insurance company as well to see what would happen if you changed doctors to your approval process.

I was able to find another surgeon who was willing to take me in and he has some December dates available. I go see him tomorrow. The only thing I will have to do again is the psych testing (appointment today) and evaluation on Wednesday. The bariatric coordinator said she may be able to submit to the insurance company late this week or early next week. I'm so happy I made the decision to change doctor. I was able to get all of my records faxed over this morning. Hoping the approval process doesn't take very long!

Good luck in getting your surgery this year! I am in the same boat, I NEED it done this year because I have met my out of pocket expenses and wasn't expecting to have to pay $1000s more to wait until next year. I spoke with probably 5 different people at my surgeons office making sure everyone knows how critical it is I get my date before end of the year. I hate to be a pain in the butt, however, I'll do what I have to in order to get what I need. :) and you should too! Good luck to you!!

Thanks Brandyjune, good luck to you as well. If I don't have the surgery this year I'll have to wait until at least June. I am excited yet not getting my hopes up too much. At least there is hope now. Where are you located? I'm outside of Atlanta GA.

I live on the east coast of fl, about an hour and a half south of Daytona.

I'll be sending positive thoughts your way that you get your surgery this year. I'm trying to stay positive that I'll get mine. If not, it wasn't meant to be but I am definitely pushing for it. My surgeon is going to be doing surgeries right after Christmas up until dec 31 to get as many patients in as he can because so many people are in the same situation as we are.

That's great, I'm sure they'll get you in by the end of the year! I just left the doctor's office for my consult, met with the dietitian and the surgery coordinator too. Got tentative surgery date of Dec 17th as long as my insurance company gets the approval back in time which the lady said my insurance company is usually very fast. I'm so excited!

What procedure are you having Brandyjune?

It certainly is a timely process. I'm assuming you have done all the other preliminary stuff like the diet monitoring and other tests. I was able to get my surgical consult (Initial visit) within 2 weeks of my phone call. I saw the Dr last week and wrapped up all the final pieces. I was given a surgery date for 12/11, The office staff work very well to help get it all coordinated because I live more than 3 hours away. The Dr is on the east coast of florida, south of Melbourne and Vero Beach.

Maybe if you can get your initial visit scheduled while you finish up your psych and give him copies of all your other reports, they can proceed quickly to submit to your insurance.

Good Luck to you. I wasted 2 months because of glitches in watching their required Webinar.

@@ga_kathy I am having the gastric bypass, submitted to insurance last Friday so I'm waiting on approval. They said I should have an answer in 5-7 business days. I'm getting really anxious because I've never had any type surgery before and I just have no idea what to expect! I've never stayed at a hospital and I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to sleep at all. I'm such a light sleeper and pretty much any noise wakes me up.

Anyone have suggestions for sleeping in the hospital? Maybe earplugs and or headphones?

Where are you located @@DuchessD? I live in Palm Bay, FL and am having surgery in viera with dr Allison.

I live in spring hill but surgeon is in Sabastian, dr Domkowski.

Re- being in the hospital. It's hard to sleep because of lights, noises, waking u up every few hours to take your BP etc But you'll be tired and in pain meds so you'll probably sleep. Headphones and ear plugs are fine to take. It's funny that sometimes it's the little things that worry us!! Like I'm worried about how I'm gonna wipe my back side !

@@DuchessD Oh ok, I live about 20-25 mins north of Sebastian. I used to live in Clearwater, FL for many years so I know exactly where spring hill is.

It's so true, I am worried about the little things for surgery. Like, not being able to shower...am I going to be wearing underwear and I am terrified of a catheter! Lol maybe I am thinking about the little things so I'm not as focused on them re-arranging my insides.

I do hope I sleep with the pain meds, I've been on them before for a shoulder injury and they made me feel really strange and like I was tired but not able to fall asleep. Almost like hallucination! But, I'll sleep when I'm at home in the very least so I shouldn't be too worried about it.

Lots of luck DuchessD!!!

@@ga_kathy it must be so exciting to have your surgery date! Can't wait to get mine! :) I'm having gastric bypass if I didn't mention that before.

Counting the days, checking all my lists of what I have to start when. This is so huge, and there is No turning back. I try not to think about that kind of stuff. I know it will be life changing in a positive way.