Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What types of food can you enjoy down the road?

Hello all :-)

In deciding which WLS surgery to pursue, I'm trying to get an idea of the pros and cons of each. I understand that the meal plan immediately following RNY is pretty limited, butI was wondering what your eating looks like a year or two down the road? After the losing phase, are you able to eat a relatively normal, moderate, healthy diet? Or are you still pretty limited? Is food something that you can actually enjoy, or is it really just something that you eat for nutrients and fuel?

After all is said and done, do you feel happy with your decision to have the surgery?

I'm 21 months post surgery, down 132 lbs with 8 to go. I eat a normal healthy diet. I don't eat nearly as much as non surgery people, but I eat a decent amount. I can eat a chicken thigh and some veggies, or steak and salad. I eat only good food. I'm wasting no space on food that doesn't taste really good and isn't nutritional.

I do eat a little dessert-- but it's a little. And not all the time. I also drink a little wine-- before I eat.

People who don't know I had RNY can't tell by what I eat. It takes at least a year to settle in to the new smaller stomach and learn what agrees with you!

This is a great topic cause I been wondering the same thing...

I am 8 months post-op and I can eat anything, just in much smaller amounts. I also try to eat healthy every day. Oh yes, I have lost 105 pounds with 5 more to goal.

I am 6 months post op. I can eat most things but in smaller quantities. I find anything fried or greasy just tastes gross and makes me sick. I have very little problem with dumping. I do not tolerate bread but find I do not miss it that much. I can use lettuce as bread or crackers made from Beans to make sandwiches. I have even had a mini cheese burger with a button mushroom Buns. Most sweets make me ill and I have no desire for them anyways but I can have Decaf coffee and a couple of cocktails when out with friends. I have to be supper careful with wine.

I sometimes do have Water with meals as I have always had a problem with choking but only drink a few sips if I need to do so. I made pate last night. Love tenderloin and shrimp. I have a hard time with salmon and pork. My husband had the sleeve and he tolerates some things I can't and cannot eat some things I can eat just fine. Reactions are very individual.

At this point I can almost eat a small chicken leg and maybe 2 bites of whatever veggie we are having. I had 1/2 cup of homemade chili for dinner tonight.

I am 20 months out from VSG and can eat anything pretty much but a lot less.

Went to Carrabbas monday night and got the small portion of the rose chicken. It was so delicious and even the broccoli was great. And the warm bread first. Wow!

The good and bad news was that I could only fit one small piece of warm bread, 2 bites of my daughters Soup, half the small piece of chicken and 2 pieces of broccoli. I wanted it all! If I wasn't staying in a hotel I would have kept the rest for leftovers. Considering the small portion is under 600 calories and I ate half, I was very very full for less than 400 calories. In fact I rarely have that much in one meal because it makes me too full and I can't drink for a couple hours.

So bottom line. Yes normal food in small portions is enjoyable. Do I eat like that normally. No I don't. I was on vacation. Today I was back to greek yogurt, cheese and crackers, and dense Protein as first food choice.

Also I am one of the rare sleevers that have dumping syndrome if too much sweet stuff I can't tolerate more that 2 bites of ice cream. And dumping limits my addiction to sweets. Sometimes makes me sad but then I remember the 140 pounds I lost and can live with less sugar.

Thank you all for your feedback-this is really helpful! Congrats on all of your success!

I am 2.5 years RNY post op. I can eat anything I like, however there are foods I will never go back to. Soda is my big NO food. I will have a sip here and there, but I always regret it as it hurts my pouch.

The first year is all about learning your pouch and what it will and will not tolerate. Everyone is different.

Great topic and excellent feedback. I need to save this for when I am a veteran! All of the replies are truly inspiring!

I am nearly 18 months post-op and I have not found a single thing that I can't eat. I have eaten small amounts of fried foods like Fench fries and high fat foods like real ice cream all with no problems. Now, that said, I have worked hard to lose 210 pounds and going back to eating the way I did before surgery would just bring the weight back on. Part of the journey is making the commitment to change your lifestyle to maintain your weight loss. I am scarred to death of gaining the weight back so am quite vigilant to keep the treats or unhealthy choices to a minimum. Best of luck to you!

Soon to be 13 months post-op. I can eat things that contain sugar with no problem. I cannot tolerate anything deep fried or high in fat. i have lost all desire to eat red meat, chicken, fish, pork, and seafood. I still measure out my food with a scale. I like to keep my portion sizes in check. I try to avoid that "full" feeling at all costs. I still get joy out of my food. I love trying new things at the Asian food store or the co-op. I have an affinity for dill pickles, cheerios, organic milk, roasted seaweed, and a trail mix that I make myself.

I couldn't be happier with my decision to have surgery. Just for fun yesterday I grabbed a size 50 x 30 pair of jeans at the store and held them up for my girlfriend and her daughter to see. The look on their faces was priceless.

Like a lot of people here, I can not do anything high in fat, greasy or fried. It just doesn't work for my pouch.. often times he has a mind of his own. Also I can not tolerate any bread. I just get a sick feeling. Having said that, I do eat almost anything I want except white chicken meat and pork. They don't work either. I do eat a lot of sushi, turkey, homemade turkey chili, hard boiled eggs, kale and other greens. Also, Oscar Meyer makes a Protein pack with nuts, a cold meat and a few pieces of cheese that, when you're in a rush will do in a pinch. I get them at Safeway.

When my wife and I go out to eat, we will decide on what we are having and then order one plate and split it. It is funny, they always bring the dish to me, and they put the extra plate down in front of my wife. We just look at each other, swap plates and I take a bit of hers and I am good. It is about Portion Control and choice in my opinion.

I guess for me it was a matter of finding things that #1 I liked, and #2 my pouch liked and #3 were healthy. It isn't often that we get a second chance so I try my best to make sure what I eat is healthy and good for me.

Good luck to you.

Andy H.

Like others here, I can pretty much eat anything. However I stay away from fried foods, breads and rice. Also chicken breast as they are way too dry. I dislike the pain from dry chicken.

I am not a veteran (almost 8 months from RNY and only have 5 pounds left to a normal BMI). I can eat anything I want but with that being said the following make me feel really ill afterwards so I avoid: Any and all fried foods, ice cream (but I can eat

Dark chocolate candy-think the ice cream goes down to easy and then I feel terrible ) white carbs (I can eat whole grains in very small portions). I stick to the following foods that make me feel awesome! Fish and a veg, steak and a veg, pork and a veg and eggs. I LOVE a my RNY! I had lapband previously (was a successful lapbander but my band eroded so had the revision) wish I had done the RNY first lol

I eat what a normal person on a diet eats pretty much. I am 2.5 years out and to give you a full idea today I had 3/4 cup of nonfat greek yogurt mixed with a scoop of chia seeds and a tbs of preserves for Breakfast, a homemade wrap consisting of chicken/tomato/onion/spinach/avocado for lunch, an entire pork chop [eaten over a period of an hour or so] and some veggies for dinner, and Snacks between meals was a cheese stick, a $1 tuna packet, a hard boiled egg and a Protein Shake after my work out. I think that's pretty reasonable [i hope?]