Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I be able to go out 5 days after breast reduction surgery?

I bought tickets several months ago for a gospel choir holiday concert. My sisters and I go every year, and it's very special. It's held at a beautiful, historic theater and the choir is amazing. I really don't want to miss it. But my breast reduction surgery is scheduled for 5 days earlier. Am I crazy to be planning to go to the concert?

Never had that procedure, but I have had many other surgeries. If you do go, just be careful about people bumping into you. That would really hurt.

I guess it all depends on how your body reacts to surgery. I had breast reduction 6 years ago. I definitely could not go to concert at 5 days out, all I wanted to do is sleep. I felt the same way after my VSG. Could be my body's reaction to anesthesia. Hopefully yourr reaction is better. I read posts on here about people going to the mall 3 or 4 days after VSG or RNY and couldn't do that. How quickly did you good after your WLS?

I had very little pain with the breast reduction so that was not an issue. I did have swelling which was uncomfortable but not painful. Maybe if you do nothing else all day except the concert you will be ok. Good luck, I hope you get to go to the concert.

Edited by Chele H

Well what did your surgeon say about the recovery process and when you might be able to do stuff? Like another person said, some people stated they went to the mall and some were even doing yard work after their sleeve surgery. Not me. So every one is different. But congrats on the surgery. I hope to get my girls lifted one day......

I had a reduction years ago. I was 18 (I think that helped with recovery) worked at McDonalds and was back to work the next week. I did go out within a couple of days after being discharged. Biggest issue was seatbelt the car putting pressure on the breast. Compared to the RNY the reduction was easier than a root canal. Everyone recovers differently.

Had breast reduction in 2010 - Went out for lunch 4 days after and all was fine.

I had no pain at all (Had brachioplasty at same time)

But as said above - It depends on how YOUR Op goes - Everybody is different - Hopefully you will be able to go - But make sure you keep a note on how you are and be ready to say No at last minute if you need to.

Good luck

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I'll have to wait and see how I feel on the day of the concert.

It will be socially awkward if I have to miss it, because I am treating a friend from work to the concert (and dinner) for her birthday. How do you say "never mind about your birthday present, I'm too sore to go out?"

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I'll have to wait and see how I feel on the day of the concert.

It will be socially awkward if I have to miss it, because I am treating a friend from work to the concert (and dinner) for her birthday. How do you say "never mind about your birthday present, I'm too sore to go out?"

Your health and recovery are much more important. A good friend will understand and take a raincheck. Maybe not for the concert but definitely for dinner. I would say in advance "I know we have plans for the concert and dinner but this is the only time I can schedule this surgery. I have all intentions of keeping our date but I hope you understand if I am not up to it when the time comes, I will keep you posted on my recovery. Please keep me in your prayers and postive thoughts"

I had a reduction several years back. You need to be very careful with your seat belt and being jostled in a crowd. You won't be allowed to drive if you are still on pain med. I was using ice packs for pain for about a week after surgery.

If you take a nap so you get plenty of rest, you should be able to manage. It's not a fist pumping, head bobbing, mash-pit included metal concert, after all. Right?

How do you say "never mind about your birthday present, I'm too sore to go out?"

The first thought that came to mind was 'A good friend would understand, that is why they are called a friend'

BUT - I am pretty sure that if you take good care of yourself - Wear good compression garments (I used design veronique - They were worth their weight in gold) then you should be good to go! I am sure all will be well :)

When they do reduction surgery how soon is that after you sleeve surgery. Please explain to me how it helps. I mean I assume why a reduction but just wondering if that means removing skin. Like to understand the process more and when they decide to do it?

When they do reduction surgery how soon is that after you sleeve surgery. Please explain to me how it helps. I mean I assume why a reduction but just wondering if that means removing skin. Like to understand the process more and when they decide to do it?

I had my sleeve surgery in May. The breast reduction surgery is only peripherally related to my weight loss. Before I lost weight, my breasts were larger than a G cup. I don't really know how much larger because that was the biggest cup size I could buy. But because my abdomen grew along with my breasts, the breast weight was partially supported by my abdomen. Now that I have lost weight, my abdomen protrudes less and is no longer firm (loose skin). My back, shoulders, and neck are all in pain. Ironic, isn't it? You lose weight for your health, and actually make one health problem worse. That is why I'm expecting my insurance to cover the reduction. It is actually medically necessary because of the way I am put together. Most women who lose weight won't have my problem. The more common breast surgery after weight loss is the lift.

Now, next year when I get my abdominoplasty, that will be mostly for appearance and to fit better into standard clothing. Right now I have to buy baggy slacks so that they'll fit my waist.

How long ago was your surgery and how much have lost???? Are you still glad you had your surgery. Yours was a sleeve?

Tomorrow will be my 6 month gastric sleeve surgiversary. As of Friday I had lost a total of 99 pounds, but 42 of them were pre-surgery. Despite my back problem, I am so glad I had the VSG. Losing weight is not effortless once you have the surgery, nor is there a guarantee that you won't regain, but the surgery makes losing and maintaining much more possible.

Thanks. For the advice. I am 55. 5'2" /245. I know age is also a factor. I realize the commitment I'm making and I know it may be difficult along the way. But what r your stats. Would you still make the same choice today if knowing what you do?