Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does being called "Skinny" offend you?

Does being referred to as "Skinny" offend you?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Does being referred to as "Skinny" offend you?

• Sometimes, it depends who is saying it.
    • Sometimes, it depends on the situation.
    • I love being called skinny!
    • I do not like being called skinny, ever.

Those of you who have reached goal, does being called skinny offend you? Much like no one likes being called "fat" some people feel offended when they are called skinny. Are you one of those people?

I personally love being called skinny. I haven't heard it in a while but when I did I loved it. It would make me feel good!

I have an acquaintance who I do not see all the time and she always says " Hey, Skinny Minnie" in front of people. I think it is done in a way to embarrass me. Well, I take it that way at least. I don't like attention in that way. I do love when people notice other physical changes like my shrinking tummy and toned legs. Sometimes people comment I look so small and I LOVE that!

I only get off offended if someone says I'm too skinny because I feel like they are being a jerk 9 times out of 10. I went from 245 lbs to 136lbs. I'm 5'6 and curvy so I am by no means too skinny.

It's so weird being on the other side. One of my best friends has always been thin (l don't know how much she weighs, but I'm now a size 4 and she's still much smaller than me, so maybe a size 1 or possibly a 0) and she used to tell me how much it hurt her feelings and offended her when people called her skinny. I never understood. Now I'm starting to. It's not a good feeling when people feel they have the right to comment on your body, which we're all still adjusting and getting used to.

Edited by Comfy_Blue

I am preop still, but had lost almost 100 lbs in the past to my goal weight and frankly being called names related to my weight (fatso, skinny, chubbs, beanpole, etc) are all offensive to me. Why do people think it is okay to call someone by a name based on their physical appearance, especially when it might be something they are sensitive about? I don't go around saying "hey baldy!", "zit face", or "Dumbo ears". To me, it is all just plain rude.

I also think in some cases it's a passive-aggressive way for people to tell you what they really think about you under the guise of "I was just kidding".

Offended? No. But, it does make me feel uncomfortable. I understand I'm much thinner than what I used to be (245 to 135), but I am by NO means skinny!

Im not offended at all. Im 160 lbs , a size 10,, but have been told I don't look like I weigh 160, more like 140 ish. I pay more attention to how I look and feel than to a # on the scale. I have been called ( in a complimentary way) skinny, skinny butt, " Slim " , as in " Morning Slim !", petite, smokin ' ( thanks B !) and one word that I did not ask for and will not repeat. Ahem........... that being said, I appreciate the compliments, "skinny" or otherwise, as long as they're not offensive.

I'm not offended it by it at all. I think people *think* they're complimenting me on my success when they call me skinny so that's how I try to take it. The only thing thing that really offends me in terms of things people call me related to my weight these days is that I have had a few people call me "scrawny butt". Now THAT, was offensive because it was quite clear that it wasn't meant as a compliment at all. But all of the "you're so skinny" and "skinny minnie" comments do not bother me at in the least.

I don't mind it. Never been called skinny before in my life, so I actually enjoy it.

I suppose it would depend on who said it and their attitude, but so far it's felt flattering.

Bandora:

There's people in my office who do the same thing; draw negative attention to me by stating something inappropriately loudly- while making it a back-handed compliment. It's because they're insecure/ threatened by the weightloss. Many people, family sometimes even, feel threatened when we burst that fat-bubble they've always felt most comfortable keeping us in. They're afraid we'll be, or are, smaller than they are or they overly-negatively judge themselves based on how good they think we're looking. That's THEIR problem- not ours!

Back to the question:

If not done as described above, being called 'skinny' or 'tiny' catches me off guard due to years of negative self-image. Even though I'm not perceived as fat anymore, I've been fat for so long and on and off throughout my life, that I don't yet see myself as 'skinny' or 'tiny'. I'm not used to it yet, so I get thrown off hearing it. I have to somehow get rid of those outdated recordings in my head

I really don't like it when people call me skinny. Partly because I am clearly not skinny, my BMI is still above normal. But mostly because I don't like that kind of attention. If I want to give a compliment, I just say, "you're looking great". I guess I'm old fashioned but I was taught that comments about people's weight are rude.

Hey, its a lot better than being called "fat" or "overweight".

@ agreed "scrawny butt" is not nice at all.

I wonder if perhaps some might take offense to being called skinny and confusing it with the lack of self confidence. I highly doubt most are saying skinny in an offensive manner. I'm sure most of us just aren't used to being called that and maybe we don't feel skinny... but in the eyes of another person we really are. In comparison to who we used to be we are. It is in my opinion a compliment.

@@kikicoates78 I have a very shapely booty too... but I've still been called skinny lots of times. Never say never. :)