Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chewing and spitting out food

Ok, I have got into a really bad habit. Especially when I am just on liquid or mushies (after a fill - just had my second). I have started to chew on food when I have cravings and then spit it out. Im worried Im doing myself some damage but I cant stop. Im also not sure if it even does anything - does anyone know if you your body still absorbs the calories?

Am I alone? or have other people done this? How do I stop? Do I even need to stop?

If you would rather not reply to this thread, please pm me, it will be kept private ...

Thank you

Lily x

Ok, I have got into a really bad habit. Especially when I am just on liquid or mushies (after a fill - just had my second). I have started to chew on food when I have cravings and then spit it out. Im worried Im doing myself some damage but I cant stop. Im also not sure if it even does anything - does anyone know if you your body still absorbs the calories?

Am I alone? or have other people done this? How do I stop? Do I even need to stop?

If you would rather not reply to this thread, please pm me, it will be kept private ...

Thank you

Lily x

I've done it, I'm sure many people have. I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all. I once even heard Julia Child recommend it as an option for people on a diet so they could still taste great food. It can help you get through the mushies phase.

Concerning whether you still absorb calories, I'm sure you do to some extent. But this is not that big a concern on liquids and mushies. When you are in those phases it's usually about healing more than losing weight. And whether you absorb calories also depends on what you are eating, how long you chew it, and whether you really spit it "all" out. If you chew a chocolate chip cookie for 15 minutes, there is probably not going to be that much to spit out. On the other hand, if you chew a piece of steak for a couple minutes and spit it out, then you probably get rid of most of it.

You stated in your post that you have a really "bad" habit and that you are worried that you are doing yourself some "damage." I would stop thinking of it like that. I don't see what damage you could be causing, except perhaps a small dent in your food bill. It's not like you are eating and then vomiting. That can hurt your band and cause other problems. Chewing and then spitting it out is actually a pretty "good" habit in a lot of ways.

You stated in your post that you have a really "bad" habit and that you are worried that you are doing yourself some "damage." I would stop thinking of it like that. I don't see what damage you could be causing, except perhaps a small dent in your food bill. It's not like you are eating and then vomiting. That can hurt your band and cause other problems. Chewing and then spitting it out is actually a pretty "good" habit in a lot of ways.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Thanks, Marjon!

The only "damage" involved here is that to your habit-forming mechanism. As a short-term or occasional behavior it's absolutely fine. If it's happening all the time at the expense of actual nutrition, well, that's obviously a problem. But I don't think that's what your describing.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Thanks, Marjon!

The only "damage" involved here is that to your habit-forming mechanism. As a short-term or occasional behavior it's absolutely fine. If it's happening all the time at the expense of actual nutrition, well, that's obviously a problem. But I don't think that's what you're describing.

I'm not so sure I agree, I have mixed feelings on this one. Once I got a handle on what, how much, at what speed I could eat I pretty much still enjoyed some of my favourite foods.

Balanced nutrition is key to helping the body stay healthy, I wouldn't want to see this jeopardized by such eating habits. For me it was definately in my own best interest to learn how to eat properly because this is not a temporary experience....this is it for the rest of my life.

Carol

I have been doing that for yrs. way before my banding It as always been a way for me to have my cake and eat it too, and then spit it out. Iam sure some people would not agree with this but I do not have a problem with it.

I'm just glad to hear someone say they did this.. I posted right after being banded, I just wanted to feel food in my mouth! I was so desperate, I put a crust from fiance's pizza in my mouth and just sucked and bit into it (like a baby's teething ring). Didn't swallow anything, but it made me feel better.. then I thought I was a complete freak!!

I'm guilty of doing it myself sometimes. I think it helps do away with some of the cravings we have for the things we want but don't want to waste calories on or taking the chance of getting stuck.

I've never done it. I can't imagine any "damage" aside from the possiblity of stepping into a bad habit.

I'm guilty also. I don't think it is any worse than chewing gum. Both satisfy the need to chew and the desire for flavor.

I've done it too. When I've not thought about eating something and stuck it in my mouth only to go, "Oh Sh!t, I don't need to eat that". Also when you take a bite of something that you expect will be good and worth the calories only to taste it and go, "No way am I going to swallow that."

Then there is what you discribe. Feeling and tasting and then spitting it out....If Julia Child says it's okay, then it can't be bad!

Don't worry!

Thanks for all the replies guys, its so good to know Im not alone.

Do you think your body still absorbs some of the calories though even if you are not swallowing anything??

<p>Chewing and spitting large quantities of food is an eating disorder (EDNOS) according to the DSM. As someone who has been struggling with this for nearly 2 years, I'm rather surprised to see the flippant replies. One of the major risks of this behavior is ulcers. When I first started, I thought it was something I could do occasionally as needed. Like any other eating disorder, however, it spirals out of control. My advice is to stop now while you can.</p> One more thing, digestion starts the minute you put food in your mouth. You cannot spit out every bit of food, so when you start to gain weight and can't think of a reason why, remember it's because you were cheating.

Chewing and spitting large quantities of food is an eating disorder (EDNOS) according to the DSM. As someone who has been struggling with this for nearly 2 years, I'm rather surprised to see the flippant replies. One of the major risks of this behavior is ulcers. When I first started, I thought it was something I could do occasionally as needed. Like any other eating disorder, however, it spirals out of control. My advice is to stop now while you can.

One more thing, digestion starts the minute you put food in your mouth. You cannot spit out every bit of food, so when you start to gain weight and can't think of a reason why, remember it's because you were cheating.

Not everyone that does this has an eating disorder.

The following are requirements to meet your diagnosis:

DSM-IV Technical Criteria for EDNOS

Because of the wide range of eating behaviors that exist outside of anorexia, bulimia and now binge eating disorder (which is becoming more formally recognized by the professional community), EDNOS does not have a comprehensive list of technical criteria at this time. However, the DSM-IV does provide some parameters/examples, as listed below:

<TABLE id=table1 dir=ltr style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=1 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=left width=20>1.

</TD><TD dir=ltr>All of the criteria for Anorexia Nervosa are met except the individual has regular menses (periods).

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=left width=20>2.

</TD><TD dir=ltr>All of the criteria for Anorexia Nervosa are met except that, despite substantial weight loss, the individual's current weight is in the normal range.

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=left width=20>3.

</TD><TD dir=ltr>All of the criteria for Bulimia Nervosa are met except binges occur at a frequency of less than twice a week or for a duration of less than 3 months.

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=left width=20>4.

</TD><TD dir=ltr>An individual of normal body weight who regularly engages in inappropriate compensatory behavior after eating small amounts of food (eg, self-induced vomiting after the consumption of two cookies).

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=left width=20>5.

</TD><TD dir=ltr>An individual who repeatedly chews and spits out, but does not swallow, large amounts of food.

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=left width=20>6.

</TD><TD dir=ltr>Binge eating disorder; recurrent episodes of binge eating in the absence of the regular use of inappropriate compensatory behaviors characteristic of bulimia nervosa.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR dir=ltr color=#8fadbc>

A Range of Behaviors

Based on the limited technical criteria above, following are some additional examples of the behaviors associated with persons struggling with EDNOS. (Please note: this is by no means a comprehensive listing).

<TABLE id=AutoNumber9 dir=ltr style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=1 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify width=20>1.

</TD><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify>You're always on a diet, always coming off a diet, or always getting ready to go on one again (chronic dieting).

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify width=20>2.

</TD><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify>You categorize foods as 'safe' and 'off limits', but weigh within normal ranges and are not participating in bulimia.

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify width=20>3.

</TD><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify>You starve yourself regularly, but are not significantly underweight (i.e. less than 85% ideal weight)

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify width=20>4.

</TD><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify>You eliminate entire food groups from your diet (yes, that includes carbs!).

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify width=20>5.

</TD><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify>You are obsessed with exercising but eat fairly regularly.

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify width=20>6.

</TD><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify>You binge and/or purge, but not more than once a week.

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify width=20>7.

</TD><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify>You substitute supplements and fad diets for real food, but weigh within normal ranges.

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify width=20>8.

</TD><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify>You skip social occasions because you feel fat, or because you are afraid of what's being served, yet your weight is normal.

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify width=20>9.

</TD><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify>You are obsessed with eating only organic, natural or raw foods (orthorexia).

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify width=20>10.

</TD><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify>You believe that everyone is as focused on your weight as you are.

</TD></TR><TR><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify width=20>11.

</TD><TD dir=ltr vAlign=top align=justify>You refuse to eat regular meals, choosing instead to 'nibble' throughout the day on small portions of food (which usually leads to bingeing).

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just because someone is a newbie and chews/spits does not make them qualify for a DSM classification. It actually requires a great deal more.

I did it once or twice (don't remember for sure). Do you think I'd fit in that classification?

We aren't talking about people that just for the heck of it decided to do this, we are talking about people that had surgery causing a HUGE change in lifestyle after a 40 minute surgical procedure and they craved old eating habits. Honestly, I think "addiction" would have been a better option for DSM classifications. I am no psychiatrist but I'd be happy to ask hubby, the actual psychiatrist of the family. I mean, I'd rather not but I will if you wish. We don't discuss my food issues often. Ever live with a psychiatrist? Yikes! :mad:

If someone does this daily for months on end I'd be more apt to agree with you. But short term? I think it is a human method of dealing with a huge, mega, life changing surgical procedure. Otherwise it would be like saying that anyone who just quit smoking has a brand new disorder because they crave cigarettes right after quitting smoking.

Remember, with DSM classifications the education comes into play when we look at the entire picture. A short term behavior doesn't fit long term DSM classifications.

I do agree with you whole heartedly on one point. Digestion most certainly does start at the point you put the food in your mouth! I only did this behavior a verrrrry short time and the reason is that the crumbs of the bread I was eating did go down and I slimed. I am one of those people that slimes on something once and I have NO desire to consume that food again. IOW, I had NO desire to chew/spit again. :mad: