Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For as long as one's idle mind can fabricate issues and worry about incidental quirks and changes...... :unsure:

It you're really concerned, by all means talk to your surgeon. ;)

Well I do appreciate recycled logic. And it is true we can worry about things that may never happen to us. I had a leak 6 days after surgery. And then again 18 months after surgery. I am in contact with a lady who had one 8 months after surgery and so I know it can happen. Rare but happens. Look after your sleeve. Take care to do as your surgeon advises. You will lesson the chances okay! I was one in thousands that have had these kinds of complications. So most likely you will not have them...:)

As I said these are rare, no extremely rare as the time passes by. But it is not to say it can't happen. It can and it is one more thing that is never mentioned when you are in for your pre appointments.

I am rare in having one 18 months out and so is my friend.

From what I've seen, it is possible in the first 8ish weeks while you are healing. Once the scar tissue has formed over the cut area then the risk is diminished. However, over eating might increase that risk after that point, but I think that would take some serious effort.

From what I've seen, it is possible in the first 8ish weeks while you are healing. Once the scar tissue has formed over the cut area then the risk is diminished. However, over eating might increase that risk after that point, but I think that would take some serious effort.

I did not seriously over eat. I got an ulcer which caused a leak 18 months out. Ulcers are more common then you think in WLS patients. And steps need to be taken to avoid this happening. I am on some pretty strong meds now to avoid another one. The abscess is still there but no longer connected to the leak. Sometimes s**t happens and when we make blank statements like that it can keep us from being well informed. :)

For as long as one's idle mind can fabricate issues and worry about incidental quirks and changes...... :unsure:

It you're really concerned, by all means talk to your surgeon. ;)

As incidental means "not serious" or an issue that when present does not need to be treated, I don't think that's a good choice of words. Unlikely or rare would be more accurate.

Edited by docbree

As incidental means "not serious" or an issue that when present does not need to be treated, I don't think that's a good choice of words. Unlikely or rare would be more accurate.

Not serious is exactly what I meant. Non serious issues often cause unnecessary worrying and will typically soon pass without incident. If a condition persists or gets worse, by all means have it checked out. ;)

A leak is serious, in my opinion, and that is what the OP asked about.

Edit: okay - now I understand what you were saying. You weren't saying a leak isn't serious, you were saying that one can have all kinds of minor symptoms that can cause you to worry, but may not indicate a problem. Sorry I misunderstood.

Edited by docbree

A leak is serious, in my opinion, and that is what the OP asked about.

Wow, you won't let this go. Of course a leak is serious. And typically the patient thinks everything is a leak.....especially the pain from gas. And I think the OP was asking "how far out is the risk of a leak" not if she has one???

Lighten up.....I was trying to ease her worry, not add to it......

If she thinks she has a leak, it's a question for her surgeon, not anyone on here.

Please see my edited comment above. I have apologized for misunderstanding.

Rjs, your situation was not the type of thing I was referring to, I apologize if my comment offended you. I was referring to stretching or pulling the stitches, which I think would take effort because it would be painful. Although, I'm not sure how you know what I think about ulcers and wls, I am pretty well aware of the risk and the reasons why caffeine, NSAIDS, and tobacco are not allowed. Again, you're situation was not what I was referring to, I understand that you were struggling with a rare event, and not everyone is going to logically anticipate those rare events, so kind of unfair for you to hold it against me that I didn't include it in my response.

It was the ' it would take serious effort to do that' I found unfair. I just wanted you to know that I did not eat way to much to get a leak. So many times patients are not equipped to handle complications because they are simply unaware of the fact that they happen more then we think. And even if one person gets a leak it is awful and unfair. No one is ever prepared for the long haul of complications. Maybe I could have said it better. But i am not perfect and I am always so sad when people end up with complications.

This is supposed to be a good experience. Positive and supportive. And those that are like me feel like we did something wrong to have these things happen to us. It is like being sucker punched in a way. There is enough to deal with without complications...

That is why I responded quickly to your comment @@georgiare . Not personal just wanted to clear up the comment mentioned above. Sorry if i offended you. Not my intention at all. I promise you.

Thank you for bringing your feelings to my attention. :)

Ive been going through personal problems that have caused me to cry, scream, get extremely angry.. and im just 2 wks post op. I think emotional stress is quite dangerous too..

Ive been going through personal problems that have caused me to cry, scream, get extremely angry.. and im just 2 wks post op. I think emotional stress is quite dangerous too..

Yes it can cause havoc. Sorry you are in so much distress.

I was sleeved 9/25/14. I ended up with a leak a couple weeks after for whatever reason.. It wasn't from over eating because I was barely eating. I was nautious all the time am d could only get down Water. I had a Stent put in my stomach to protect the leak while it healed. Nausea continued and I still couldn't eat anything.. Ended up hospitalized for over a week... Last week I had to have the Stent removed and now am on a feeding tube not allowed to have anything in my stomach til healed.. It really is making it hard to be happy with my decision.. I know I will be eventually and I have lost over 50 lbs. But this is hard emotionally as well as physically.. Some days I don't think I can take any more..I have cried, yelled, thrown things and some days have just shut down. But I look forward to the days that I can chase my 4 year old daughter around w/ little effort, when just getting out of bed is not such a draining experience.. I have an excellent Dr w/ a great staff and my family has been wonderfully supportive.. I think this is the light at the end of the tunnel :)