Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

vomiting right after surgery

Hello! I'm scheduled for Monday, Nov. 3rd to have surgery. My doctor prescribed me some Trandermal-Scop Patches to keep me from being nauseated and vomiting after surgery. My insurance doesn't cover them. Are they really necessary? Is throwing up a normal part of what happens right after surgery?

Is there anything else I can do?

I would totally get those Patches. I spent the first three days after my sleeve surgery puking my guts out...which when you've had nothing to eat or drink is truly miserable. I maxed out on zofran, phenergan, and those stupid Patches. Since I knew that anesthesia makes me sick, when I had my plastics surgery my doctor prescribed me the patches to put on before surgery. I didn't get sick once. I'm not sure if it was because I had the patch behind my ear or if the anesthesiologist gave me a magic phenergan cocktail, which I asked for, but trust me....the patches are worth it!

I vomited a few times after surgery during recovery. They gave me several different medications through my IV to help with vomiting. I would contact my insurance company & let the doctor know what is covered & what's not covered. Best wishes to you on your new journey...

The only thing that made me nauseated was the pain medications they put me on in the hospital. But I wasn't in any real pain so I didn't need the pain meds. Once I got home I did not have any issues with vomiting or nausea.

I had the patch, compazine, and zofran. Still spent 3 days vomiting.

Hi...good luck on your surgery. I was in the hospital for 7 days. The 1st 4 days, i was throwing up night and day. I also had very loose poop. I felt like crap and couldn't keep Water down. Then on the 5th day i woke up and felt better, everyday feeling better. 7th day i went home. Happy halloween..

There is a possibility that you will not need the medicine... My Dr. didn't write me a prescription for anything to cure nausea nor did he mention it.

I was sleeved 10/24 with one overnight stay and I haven't vomited once. I have been very strict with myself and have followed the diet directed by my Dr. Now that I think about it, I did feel nauseous once or twice on day three of recovery.

Do they offer trial samples for you to use? Or, if you did need the medicine after surgery, would the Dr. phone in a rush order to the pharmacy for you? I would hate to have you home hurting!

I too was very, very sick from the moment I woke up after surgery, and that continued right on through till Sunday morning (day 3 after surgery). I was given the patch in the hospital just prior to surgery, and was also given like 4 different nausea medications through the IV. They did really try everything. At first they said it was the anethesia, and then they said it was the pain meds, and after all that stuff was gone, they said it's not uncommon for a patient to be that nauseous. I just laid there with my eyes closed and wouldn't talk to anyone. Every time my concentration got broken by noise or sound, let alone when I had to move my head or body, I would start vomiting again. I was absolutely miserable, but thankfully they still let me go home the next day. I told them flat out I could go home and be this sick, and at least I would be in the comfort of my own home. I'm so glad they agreed. As for the price of the medication patch, I really can't say if it's worth or not, but I can't imagine how much worse it all could have been without all that medicine on board. The Dr wouldn't prescribe it if he didn't think you needed it, right? I hope all goes well with your sleeve, please keep up to do. BTW my post op appointment was yesterday and all is fine and I've even lost over 11 pounds since surgery (7 days ago). Good luck to you!!!!

All you need to do is tell your pre-op nurse and the anesthesiologist that you get extremely nauseous after surgery. It's called "post-op nausea and vomiting" or PONV. They'll put the scopalamine patch behind your ear, and give you a cocktail of drugs before surgery. Even if you don't get nauseous, lie.

I'm almost 11 weeks post-op.

Haven't thrown up a single time.

Zofran comes generic as Ondansetron, it's pretty cheap and taken sublingual. You're gonna need it. I only threw up once after the nurse had me swallow a capsule, it was horrible. I still have nausea when I eat sometimes, so I would definitely have some kind of meds on hand for that. Last thing you want to do is rip your incision.

I was very nauseated after sergury

I was very nauseated after surgery. Even during the upper GI i kept the liquid down long enough to complete the exam. When the nurse put the probe under my tongue to check my temp. it triggered vomiting. Only thing that help me was warm liquid. all the gagging made me even sorer in in my cavity area. It's been 4 days now I'm fine.