Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

please help with my class project on obesity

Im a graduate student doing a research project for my Software Engineering class. The goal is to create a software product that increases happiness for patients with a chronic medical condition. My team and I are conducting a short survey to gather data about the happiness levels of Obesity patients. We would greatly appreciate it if you could help us by filling out our online survey.

My team and I chose Obesity as our topic, because we believe it is a serious illness that deserves more positive attention in our community. There is a common misconception that obesity is solely caused by lifestyle choice, and it is easily curable by a change in diet and exercise. We believe this misconception is unfair, and it causes undue added stress to the many patients that are suffering from this disease.

Using the results of our online survey, we hope to be able to collect information that will give us a glimpse of what it is like to be combating Obesity.

The questionnaire is about 30 questions in length. It will take approximately 20 minutes to complete. The data collection is done anonymously. No personal data will be collected. As an added incentive to take the survey, you may submit your e-mail address to participate in a raffle drawing that we're holding for a $10 Starbucks gift card and to receive results from our survey when the study is completed. Your e-mail address is not required to take the survey.

Please let me know if you have questions regarding our study.

Here's the link to the survey:

http://esurv.org/?s=LINMLL_bc946da3

Thank you very much for your participation.

Completed the survey, since I was up thinking when I ought to be sleeping.< /p>

Done!

Done! I hope you are able to get the information that you needed.

I started the survey and stopped because it does not collect data about race. I get tired of research asking every demographic question (age, gender, occupation, education) and not asking for racial/identity. Without that question you will not be able to answer the question of whether race makes a difference in happiness. That makes the research study flawed. Because race and racism is a powerful factor in many obese people lives.

Similarly sexual orientation should be a demographic question

Edited by MsUjima

To those of us who didn't give out their email address, I hope you can report back here on the conclusion of your study.

I don't like surveys but this seems like a good cause!

Good Luck!

I started the survey and stopped because it does not collect data about race. I get tired of research asking every demographic question (age, gender, occupation, education) and not asking for racial/identity. Without that question you will not be able to answer the question of whether race makes a difference in happiness. That makes the research study flawed. Because race and racism is a powerful factor in many obese people lives.

Similarly sexual orientation should be a demographic question

Thank you so much everyone for your participation in my team's project. I really appreciate you taking time out to fill out the survey. Please keep the responses coming!

Thank you for pointing this out. Regarding race and sexual orientation, I completely agree these are powerful factors that could be used to elicit key data for this type of study in its future stages. Both of these factors have a huge impact on how we interact with people that are around us. Our project focuses on the preliminary stages of investigating this issue, so we will not use the results to establish any direct causation link. Instead, we're hoping it will give us a start on understanding the tough issues that a patient with obesity experiences. I hope this helped to clarify your concern.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any other questions or concerns.

To those of us who didn't give out their email address, I hope you can report back here on the conclusion of your study.

I don't like surveys but this seems like a good cause!

Good Luck!

Thank you for your participation! I will definitely report back when the study is completed.

No not really. your research is not so preliminary as to collect other demographic. Your failure to collect race means that future research will be shaped without knowing preliminarily the role of race. Without race your research is fundamentally flawed. IT can be corrected.

Thank you so much everyone for your participation in my team's project. I really appreciate you taking time out to fill out the survey. Please keep the responses coming!

Thank you for pointing this out. Regarding race and sexual orientation, I completely agree these are powerful factors that could be used to elicit key data for this type of study in its future stages. Both of these factors have a huge impact on how we interact with people that are around us. Our project focuses on the preliminary stages of investigating this issue, so we will not use the results to establish any direct causation link. Instead, we're hoping it will give us a start on understanding the tough issues that a patient with obesity experiences. I hope this helped to clarify your concern.

You really don't seem to have a clue how infurating it is to read that your purpose is "understanding the tough issues that a patient with obesity" - and by leaving out race you have already made a decision that it is not an important factor - ugh.

You really don't seem to have a clue how infurating it is to read that your purpose is "understanding the tough issues that a patient with obesity" - and by leaving out race you have already made a decision that it is not an important factor - ugh.

This is actually a really good example of the things that my professor said we can find out by interacting with the community. I will include your comment in my report and bring this up for discussion with my team. I'm truly sorry if I have offended you. This was not my intention.

Done! I didn't see the need to ask for race or even gender to see how obesity has affected me. Good luck!

Prehaps you could go back to your team and get permission to add the demographic of race immediately. One of the limitation of the study will be that you did not collect racial data on everyone -- but depending on where you are in the study - that might not be a significant limitation. Also, given the online nature of the survey - it can be easily modified without affecting the surveys you have already collected.

This is actually a really good example of the things that my professor said we can find out by interacting with the community. I will include your comment in my report and bring this up for discussion with my team. I'm truly sorry if I have offended you. This was not my intention.