Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone develop acid reflux after VSG?

I was reading some articles and I was wondering if anyone developed acid reflux after surgery that did NOT have it already before? I'm just curious. I don't have it at all right now but I read about some people having it after surgery and it doesn't say whether or not it was a new problem for them. Thank you!

yes yes yes a thousand times yes. I had never had any acid reflux before the surgery and hardly ever any heartburn or anything like that. after my surgery it was a constant struggle keeping food down because of all the acid. luckily I was prescribed a acid blocker and I am off it now, but I was really regretting the surgery after I developed this problem. no regrets now I am feeling better and I guess that is what counts :)

@@Nicole Cloud Ok so just in the beginning but not anymore? I know I will get something for the first few months just as a precautionary measure but not after those couple months?

yes I only had it in the beginning, but everyone is different and some people don't have the problem at all, but if you do develop the acid reflux I would recommend asking your surgeon for the dissolving acid blocker I took prevacid,only because over the counter stuff just dosent work as well and the dissolving tabs are a lot easier to take and cause less discomfort. and yes after I went back to solid foods the problem went away and I stopped taking the acid blocker and have had very few days I have acid reflux and if I do it usually gets better is I eat some saltine crackers or something like that :)

my doctor has listed AR as a potential side effect of surgery, even if you didn't suffer beforehand so yup, you can get it even if you never suffered with it before. i have a script for prilosec that i am to start taking now, on the day of surgery, and thereafter until my stomach is healed. hoping it works to keep AR at bay for me!

It is pretty common....sometimes just temporary and sometimes for life. My surgeon prescribes omeprazole 40mg to be taken daily for two months minimum. He insisted it was mandatory. After the two months I took the 20mg OTC for about 3 weeks. Haven't had any real problems since. But I do get a sour, slightly burning sensation sometimes and Rolaids or Maaloxx takes care of it, so it's a very minor issue. But I'd never taken antacids ever prior to sx.

Thanks everyone! I guess it's just something time will tell.

I developed it after my heart surgery in '05. Had to do the omeprazole stuff or suffer acid reflux and it would wake me up at night if i forgot to take my pill.

When I told my surgeon about it he said he would take care of it when he sleeved me. Done deal. No more acid reflux since my sleeve.

My surgeon said that many people develop it after surgery. As a precaution, they have me on prescription Prilosec with a couple refills. I'm not sure how long he will keep me on it though.

@@Elode, do you know that you don't have reflux from a diagnostic test (EGD), or you're assuming you don't because you don't have any symptoms?

The only way I would know if I had it is from the symptoms and the surgeon explained what causes it and what he did to remedy it.

;)

i have a question..how does the belly do with pills after surgery? my prilosec pills are pretty big...how can i handle them the day after surgery? it is a question i'll be sure to ask.

also, it was determined after my endoscopy that i do have acid reflux (mild) even though i have no pain. there are burns on my esophagus and along my stomach lining.

in my case, ibuprofen use and chocolate are the culprits.

I've had reflux since I was a teenager. Doctor found and repaired a hiatal hernia and now I haven't had any major reflux since.

I started taking my acid reducer about a week after surgery per my doctor's orders to keep my tummy calm, normally I'd have been popping antacids and eating yogurt to calm the burn in my throat.

Reflux could have gotten worse post op, but I took my chances not knowing I had a hernia. I would stay on acid reducers the rest of my life if I needed to. I've already taken them for 15 years, so I was used to it.

I thought to myself, which is healthier a morbidly obese girl with reflux or a healthier bmi girl with reflux?

i have a question..how does the belly do with pills after surgery? my prilosec pills are pretty big...how can i handle them the day after surgery? it is a question i'll be sure to ask.

also, it was determined after my endoscopy that i do have acid reflux (mild) even though i have no pain. there are burns on my esophagus and along my stomach lining.

in my case, ibuprofen use and chocolate are the culprits.

My doc had me empty the capsules into pudding or applesauce the first month. After that, we can take meds like normal. If they are huge and you feel like you have trouble swallowing them, you can continue the above method or find tablets that you can break in half.

Its a constant issue for me post op. 15 months out and I've been told I will have to take prilosec for the rest of my life. Small price to pay but wow.