Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Western Kentucky

Anyone close by could use a bariatric friend.

I live in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. I am not sure how close that is? If you ever need to talk, you can contact me at one of the links below and I can tell you how to reach me by phone from there. Remember you are not alone. Everyone here has dealt or is dealing with exactly what you are going through.

Thanks Jonathan, this has been a very different journey than any other I have taken. Years of dieting, weight loss programs fail to success back to fail. And finally 2 kids later I was officially a failure to my waist line. I decided to push forward into bariatric RNY surgery. Only a few know i had the surgery my husband and two others one being my mom who I just told yesterday I had my surgery in September. I only just shared with my mom because she worries and is overwhelming with opinions and I needed to begin this journey with no doubts. But I felt alone so I let her in. I feel like now that I don't feel sick I unconciously put taste things I shouldn't. :( not alot but a bite especially always preparing foods for my kids. I think what's wrong with me ! I'm 8 weeks out struggling with Protein Shakes but trying to consume only Protein rich foods to offset this. Any thoughts

Having a taste every now and then isn't bad depending on what it is. The only concern is that those tastes could trigger what I call a trigger food. I have another post about them on here. It is those foods that send you back into old habits? That would be my only real concern. Amount of food if it is just a bite is not really all that concerning.

It is very good for you to allow people in. I know that for many this is a very private thing, however you need people who know what is going on to support you and be there for you. My journey has been quite a bit different. I have purposefully kept my journey very public. It has kept me accountable for all of my goals and decisions knowing that someone is watching and that everyone knows. I do this in a effort to be a motivation to others and as a motivation to myself so I can continually keep pursuing ever more lofty goals. I can understand why people don't though. It is a very personal and often times embarassing thing.

On the Protein front, what brands have you tried? I recommend shopping different brands. I personally love Isopure Zero Carb, after trying about a dozen others. They have the traditional flavors and others like mango peach that taste just fine mixed with Water. That is my go to on the road shake since I don't need to carry milk, just a scoop in a Blender Bottle. You should also try different Protein Bars as a supplement to that. Once again, just expirament. Everyone is different and has different tastes.

I would also highly recommend getting connected with a local support group through your surgeons office. That will connect you, like this forum has, with like-minded people who are experiencing or have experienced the same things you are. Just remember to keep strong. Always try to have a goal to better yourself physically that you are working toward to keep in mind each time you think about taking that extra bite. For me I am a year out and down 210 lbs. I am training for my first half marathon and constantly keep that in mind with my eating choices. I also carry a picture of how I used to look with me both for motivation and as a warning each time I think about eating something I shouldn't.

This journey often times is an internal struggle with yourself. You are rejecting the old you and creating a new one. To do so, you will need to start trying to figure out what motivates and drives you. Use those things as motivation and inspiration. I strongly urge you to get connected and bring other in with you on your journey that you know and trust to help you. Family is a great start. Also, if that doesn't work, I am just a phone call or an email away. I want to see you succeed and I know that you can. Just keep strong!

First I would like to say thank you for being a decent person. Wow what an accomplishment you are to both yourself and your family. I do agree the support group is not a bad idea but my surgeon was a hr plus away as are the meetings and my husband works on the river and is gone a month at a time so I have no support system as far as a sittter for my small children. But I think this group is making a difference. I have spent most of my life embarrassed of my appearance and never been a big feeling sharer being able to be a lil more honest behind a computer screen feels safe and non judgmental to me. My husband support s mt choice for surgery but is not really involved he didn't see the need he loved me as is and he just didn't understand the torment I lived daily. I have been going to the gym daily for about 2weeks I enjoy the me time I would eventually like to get a personal trainer and maybe see better results. What is your opinion or pointers on the gym.

Hi all!! Just had RNY on 6/17.

I'm in Eastern KY, had my surgery done by Dr. Joshua Steiner at Saint Jospeh East.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What part of EKY? My husband is originally from Salyersville.

Sent from my SM-N910P using BariatricPal mobile app

About 30 mile or so from Salyersville. I'm in the small town of Jackson.

Hi all!! Just had RNY on 6/17.

I'm in Eastern KY, had my surgery done by Dr. Joshua Steiner at Saint Jospeh East.

What part of EKY? My husband is originally from Salyersville.

Sent from my SM-N910P using BariatricPal mobile app

About 30 mile or so from Salyersville. I'm in the small town of Jackson.

Cool. We now live about 45 min north of Lexington.

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

Hey yall, just found this post. I'm in western ky, KY lakes. My papers are being submitted this week, as I have finished jumping thru their hoops. Preoperative testing tomorrow. I'm hoping to get through sleeve.

I know this post is older but I still wanted to comment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App