Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for the other 1% er's. Having some depressing and dark days after major major complications

I'm the 1% that has a better chance of getting struck by lightening. After bypass has twisted bowel then intestinal rupture. Spent 6 wks in hospital, ventilator,ICU, 7 surgeries. On top of all that I already suffer from depression and anxiety. Anyone else in the same boat. I'm 12 weeks out from my extended stay in hospital.

I'm the 1% that has a better chance of getting struck by lightening. After bypass has twisted bowel then intestinal rupture. Spent 6 wks in hospital, ventilator,ICU, 7 surgeries. On top of all that I already suffer from depression and anxiety. Anyone else in the same boat. I'm 12 weeks out from my extended stay in hospital.

So sorry for what you're going through. Luckily, I'm not having those complications, but I really feel for you. It's scary and taxing enough as it is with the surgery, but to have the battles you've faced is a lot for one person to bear. Keep the faith and good luck with your recovery - thinking of you and sending positive, healing vibes! ????

Very sorry to hear about your unfortunate hospital experience. Mine has not been perfect but not nearly anywhere near yours. I pray that you will continue to heal. Be well.

Thanks

I finally got a therapist. I go thursday

Oh wow so sorry you've had such a rough time Kim, I sure hope your recovery road has gotten more smooth by now. I am yet to have the surgery so can't help you there, but I am sorry that you are in that 1% category

I'm not having the same complications as you, but I understand. My surgeon damaged my vagus nerve. It's the cranial nerve that controls heart rate, BP, and some digestive stuff. The night of my bypass something was up my pulse kept dropping down into the 20s and 30s. Being a respiratory therapist I was freaking out. The nurse just turned the monitor's alarm off. I didn't sleep at all because I was afraid my heart would stop. Anyway, to cut a long story short, almost six months later. I have fainting spells and blackouts. Cardiologist sent me for a tilt table test, he said nothing would probably happen. However, 51 minutes into the test I passed out. All I know as of right now is that the cardiologist wants to see me on Tuesday. Nurse wouldn't tell why just that it's not good. I think I am going to end up with a pacemaker and I am only 34. I am having some major anxiety right now. I have lost 80 pounds and I am stuck here for right now I guess, I can't go to the gym for fear of passing out. I am trying to decide if this surgery was even worth it.

Im that 1% kimteehee so I can definitely relate, but I promise you, it does get better. I had my surgery on 4/17/2014, went home and was fine for 2 weeks. Ended up in the Er, scar tissue wrapped around my intestines and completely shut it down (which is apparently odd since it usually takes months, not 2 weeks for scar tissue to form, 1%!) . Got surgery to fix that, was told everything was fine and I was going home tne next day. Woke up over a month later, told I pretty much died once, almost died quite a few times, had 2 more surgeries, my intestines apparently fell out at some point and I was in a coma and on life support for the last month. Well, imagine my surprise lol! I have an 8 year old who wasn't allowed in ICU to see me the whole time, my husband ended up in the hospital with an anxiety attack and my 19 year old had to run the house and take care of everything. I had to learn to walk, go to the bathroom, everything all over again (babies make it look easy lol). I completely understand the depression, the guilt, the "what the heck did I do to myself??" but you have to Let that go and realize you can't change it, so what do you do now?? You heal, you get better, you kick butt and you MAKE it worth it! I had to tell myself "I did not almost die for Nothing!!!" Stay positive and don't Let the depression consume you, or else all of this is for nothing.