Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well...got my answer...

I posted a topic a month or so ago about having lost a lot of weight during the weight trial and I wasn't sure if I needed the surgery. Had barium swallow xray and went to surgeon for results today, Have severe reflux with esophageal inflammation and hiatal hernia. Said that there is a surgery for the reflux, fundoplication. It often doesn't work for obese people. The most successful treatment is the gastric bypass. I was still waffling on my decision because I've continued to lose weight. But, with the new information today I've made my decision to go ahead with the gastric bypass. :o

Good for you! At least you can expect that you will have successful results, because you have already demonstrated that you are commited to better health.

Congratulations! I know the decision was kind of made for you, but it is one you wont regret. You are about to embark on an amazing journey that few will fully understand other than those on message boards like this one. I am so excited for you. As you prepare for surgery, I urge you to check out my blog at the link below. I have a great series of posts on how I prepared for my surgery. I think you will find the very helpful. I say to reference those because there is just too much information to post on here. Keep up the amazing work. I know you will do awesome!

You have to find a good surgeon, and then trust that surgeon to give the best advice for your needs. Good luck with whichever WLS surgery you have.

Best of luck! I used to have acid reflux and it is miserable. Until I understood what it was and what the triggers were, I was never sure what would happen after a meal. It wasn't a matter of IF I would be sick, but when. Mine actually stopped when I quit smoking. But I wasn't as obese yet (though still obese). Unfortunately, once I quit smoking, I gained 100 pounds, even though I was at the gym every day! Really working hard at the gym, too. And with a trainer. But the weight just piled on. Now that I have had the gastric bypass, the weight is finally coming off.

Everyone has a different journey but I don't know anybody who has regretted having this surgery. Congrats on making a decision--that's the toughest part.

I lost 60 pounds BEFORE I scheduled surgery. I probably could have lost the rest.......Hell, I had lost 100+ pounds TWICE before in my life. But, having WLS would not only help me take off the rest (I've now lost a total of 140+), but it was going to help me with the one thing I could never do......MAINTAIN!!!!!!!!!!! I was a dieting EXPERT, but I never managed to learn how to MAINTAIN. Maybe you could think of it that way!

Hi,

I'm sorry it was sort of made for you. I had gastroparesis before the surgery, got the sleeve, and now have reflux. I can't get another surgery because my surgeon dropped my care, and even another doctor who was going to work with me & the nutritionist, he vetoed that. So I agree with the above answer, make sure you got a surgeon that can deal with complications and recognize them. I had a patient first pcp that figured out possible neuro involvement and told me to see the surgeon, because of research about nutritional deficiencies, neuro problems, and bariatric surgery. I had them in droves thanks to GP, IBS, reflux, and food intolerances. 2 months later at the scheduled appt. I went to them. I got told they knew of no problems like that a year out from surgery. It took 6 months from then before I got to a neurologist. Sure enough, the neuropathies and the like I have all fit the medical research. I was a nationally ranked swimmer, 1 year later I walk with a cane, got braces for both legs and just got a handicapped sticker for the car.

I'm sorry but I preach research the surgeon. Make sure they will take care of you even after the magical one year passes, not just its all in your head.