Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bypass Vs. Sleeve?

I was really interested in the sleeve at first but upon further research im liking the bypass better, mainly for the long term success and because of dumping. I love the fact that eating bad food will make you regret it. my mom and my surgeon are really on board with the sleeve though! I dont know what to do here... I really trust the surgeons opinions and recommendations but i really feel the bypass is the way to go for me! help! anyone in similar situations? which surgery did you have and what are your results? did you wish you had chosen differently? any info about your surgery would be great thanks!

TIA,

very confused bariatric patient

The most important thing is YOU are comfortable with the decision. I went with gastric bypass because of the long term success and the number of folks that had sleeve revisions. Does your doctor do bypass? Not all do and that may influence recommendations. Get a second opinion if you are not sure which is right for you.

When I started my journey early this year, I wanted lap band because it was the least invasive...quickly decided against that. Then I wanted the sleeve, because there was no way I was having anything re-routed. My surgeon (who is excellent, BTW) spent a lot of time educating me on the pros and cons of the sleeve and RNY. Ultimately, I decided on RNY- the procedure that from the start I said I'd never have because it was too invasive. Here I am, 6 days post-op, and I'm happy with my decision. RNY is the tried and true, most successful, and most commonly performed bariatric surgery. But it's a personal choice. In my experience, we're never 100% sure about anything. Go with your doctor's guidance and what your heart tells you. Good luck!

My doctor let me choose. But the factor that changed my mind was when he told me there was less risk of leakage with a bypass after 2 weeks than the sleeve. I'm very happy with my bypass.

Friends of mine are discouraging me against the bypass. I've spoken with them about what I've read with its results regarding pcos etc. They're concerned I'll look sickly afterwards.

I was set on the sleeve but after speaking with my surgeon I decided to go with the bypass. "gold standard" he called it. I also went with it because I had a history of off and on heartburn which is made worse by sleeve.

The other big factor was the sleeve was not restrictive enough for me. If I had a sleeve right now, I would be eating pumpkin pie. I'm craving it so bad and I know I would give in. With the bypass I won't. It's not worth getting sick.

Had a bypass in March. I recovered well and can eat anything, in just much smaller amounts.

All I have to say is GO WITH YOUR GUT!!! I was banded in 2007 and it has been a total disaster. the thing is, I was going to get the bypass all along until my dr recommended the band at the last minute. That was when the band was all the craze. My thing is sweets and if I had gotten what my gut told me to get, I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in.. Bigger than ever! I don't know much about the sleeve but neither does anyone else. I mean, it is fairly new and no one knows the long term effects. RNY has been done for years and years. Besides, I can't imagine having part of my stomach removed forever.

Just my thoughts

I originally went for the band but I had a really bad hiatal hernia in which my doc strongly recommended to do gastric. I really didn't want to get anything rerouted like TinaC but then I did more research and decided that was best for me and Im so happy I did it cause it is very restrictive. I can pretty much eat anything but in way smaller portions and too much sugar does cause me to dump which was my downfall in the first place!!

I had sleeve surgery and absolutely love it! My surgeon said it was the best option for me. I didn't want the band...just didn't want something foreign in my body and I wanted something more permanent but not as extreme as the bypass. And I wanted to avoid the dumping syndrome. But I do agree with everyone saying, you have to do what you think is best. I've been very fortunate to not have any side effects thus far. I'm 16 weeks post surgery. I can eat whatever I want just much smaller portions. And things like bread, Cereal, some misc sweets no longer appeal to me. This whole process has been amazing and I wouldn't change it for anything. I wish you The best of luck and only do what makes the most sense to you, your body, and your life/health ????

I so wish I had enough money to get GB. I have lost 25 lbs over the last few months which is great, but at a SW of 398 it just seems like such a battle. The crazy thing is that it didn't even make a difference in how I feel. I'll keep going but I'm not that encouraged. It will take me years to even get to a "manageable" weight that I feel ok with. Right now my quality of life is terrible and it's not only hard on me, my family suffers as well. I hate those pity looks and the old " I'm praying for you everyday" phrase makes me sick.

Sorry for the rambling

I had acid reflux so the sleeve wasn't my best option so I chose the Gastric bypass because of it but I also had 4 friends that had the GB and u have seen their years of success and all of them said it was the best decision they ever made and they wo I ld do it again. It is a life changing surgery and you have to go with what surgery is best for you.

@ fatandoverit finances are an issue with me too. If I don't get qualified by insurance then I can't have the surgery. I think I'll have the bypass because I like that option better for me and I have a hiatal hernia from my acid reflux. But if I get rejected, oop is $25,000. Just for the surgery. Not including hospital stay and anesthesia. If I qualify then the most I'll have to pay is $7000. So at least that's doable. Sort of.