Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veteran gastric sleeve, out 2+ years and having difficulty not eating all the time

I had my surgery over two years ago, but have noticed that I'm still wanting to eat something every 2 hours. CRAZY! I'm not hungry. But it feels like this is what I did for a good year following surgery, small frequent feedings. I'm in trouble now because the sizes are getting larger and larger! Ugh, I never used to feel like I needed to eat all the time. Anyone one else battling this?

In a few days I will be 2 years out as well. There are days that I could eat the moon. Not joking. Then days where I can barely get anything down at all.

It is difficult to do it all right 100 % of the time. Impossible for sure. But we have to keep it under control. A 1 lb gain will turn into 2 then 5 then 10. And before we know it we will be part of the 30% that gained it back after paying such a huge price for our health and well being.

There are a few things you can do to bring it around. One have a number that you can live with as a gain and then push the panic button on it at that point. So this means weighing every week. I never did before goal but now I do and I have a 5 lb measure that I stop and return to my basics until the weight goes down again. This morning I was up 5 lbs. And so today I started to pull the reins in and go back to eating no refined sugar and mostly Protein. Water I can neglect easily. Bad me! I drank more of it today and will work on it until the 5 are gone again.

Go back to measuring the 1 cup size and Protein first, then veggies, fruit and last but not least carbs. I believe that we need carbs in our diet esp. Complex carbs which make a complete protein.

Get out side and walk and start really moving again and revisit all the reasons you did this in the first place. That is what I do and no one is perfect. This will be a war until our last breath. But we can win battles....Keep a little fear of failure in front of you and it will spur you to action.....I think sometimes we forget how hard we worked to lose even the smallest amount of weight. We are worth it. We are worth keeping it off. We are worth having a better life. You deserve it all as well. Don't forget that!

Put a plan in place for when this happens and follow the plan. You got this! :)

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

My nut said that some people will eat every few hours. Depending on the size of your stomach, you may have to eat 6 mini meals every 2-3 hours. That is what I'm having to do. A couple triscuits with cheese and shaved deli meat for one meal. A yogurt later on...

I haven't met my Protein yet, so I'm now drinking half Isopure black tea with regular tea. It tastes delicious!

I feel that eating and drinking is something I do all day. Not drinking with meals is the weirdest thing to me! It's hard to eat when you aren't hungry and nothing sounds good. Before I could figure out something to eat, now I look in the fridge and think...eh I don't want this or that

I had my surgery over two years ago, but have noticed that I'm still wanting to eat something every 2 hours. CRAZY! I'm not hungry. But it feels like this is what I did for a good year following surgery, small frequent feedings. I'm in trouble now because the sizes are getting larger and larger! Ugh, I never used to feel like I needed to eat all the time. Anyone one else battling this?

YES! I fill in the gaps, by munching on a salad, made with non-starchy veggies, maybe a hard boiled egg or lean turkey and ham. As dressing I mix 1 TBSP light mayo with red vinegar or thin some regular or light dressing with unsweetened rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar (great with honey mustard) or white balsamic.

@RJ'S/beginning You mentioned your Water intake when pulling in the reins on regain. At over three months out I have YET to get 64ozs of water in a day. Some days I come close, say 6 cups, but tthat's me drinking until 10 pm. Then in the bathroom ALL night. UGH! I come up with a different plan every day. It never works out. Just haven't been able to do it. If I drink too much, too fast I get horrible heartburn. Yes, I take Dexilant. So, how did you do with your water intake while you were losing?

@RJ'S/beginning You mentioned your Water intake when pulling in the reins on regain. At over three months out I have YET to get 64ozs of Water in a day. Some days I come close, say 6 cups, but tthat's me drinking until 10 pm. Then in the bathroom ALL night. UGH! I come up with a different plan every day. It never works out. Just haven't been able to do it. If I drink too much, too fast I get horrible heartburn. Yes, I take Dexilant. So, how did you do with your water intake while you were losing?

Most of the time I was very successful with my water intake. I am able to drink a 30 oz container of flavored water in 15 min now. I also drink G2 Gatorade 1/2 and 1/2 with water once a day to help keep the electrolytes up. This insures me that even now I will not get dehydrated. I have learned that coconut water is a natural hydrator. So I also keep that on hand..No pulp in mine...yuck!

It is difficult to do it at the beginning. I used hot water and lemon as well. Lemon water and fruit water. It is hard some days even now as I get busier then I was before but during the period where I was losing the most I just bought 2 containers that were 32 oz each and made sure I drank them even if it took until midnight...

Before surgery I was drinking about 2 lltres a day maybe more. And after hated the taste of water. Still do at times. So I added strawberries, kiwis or lemons stuff like that to make it tastier.

By the way, it takes time to get it all in order. It is difficult to do everything right throughout this journey. Don't be too hard on yourself. It will become habit and then your body will crave it. Then you will reach for water instead of anything else.

It is when you reach goal that you forget certain rules and let go a little. Me I am working to stay focused all the time. Forever seems like forever. But I am still learning and changing. :)

@RJ'S/beginning. Thanks for the thoughtful response. I just wondered if my lack of the 64 ozs was the reason for my very slow loss. I will keep trying to increase my intake. The thing is I was not a huge Water drinker prior to surgery. Ate fruits and veggies so I guess I was getting water from those sources as my urine was always clear. I guess my body is not used to it, as I'm never thirsty.

@RJ'S/beginning. Thanks for the thoughtful response. I just wondered if my lack of the 64 ozs was the reason for my very slow loss. I will keep trying to increase my intake. The thing is I was not a huge Water drinker prior to surgery. Ate fruits and veggies so I guess I was getting Water from those sources as my urine was always clear. I guess my body is not used to it, as I'm never thirsty.

I bet there is a lot of things you were not before you started this journey and so much has changed for you in the way you see yourself and food. It is all part of a big picture of getting healthy. :)

Water helps to lubricate your body and since we are over 90% water, it is essential. I know you can do this...Water is not the worst thing you could be struggling with.

When I was researching WLS I followed this lady who was shy but honest about her journey. I wish she still posted I would love to know where she is today. Anyway I digress. She had an issue with M n M's. She would suck off the candy coating and then spit them out. She could not stop it. Tried everything. I don't know to this day if she ever licked it.( pardon the pun!) But to me, that was her hardest part. Water is natural, we need it. you can increase your intake a little at a time and you will get there. Just keep some with you all the time. I take aa bottle where ever I go and it helps remind me now as I no longer enjoy the taste of it....:)

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I am trying to figure out how to tackle the weight gain...I only lost 30 lbs after the sleeve (a huge disappointment for me), have gained almost all of it back. My Breakfast almost never varies, 1/2 cup greek yogurt with 1/4 cup granola and 1/2 cup of fruit; then a low fat cheese stick or 1/4 cup of nuts two hours later, then 1/2 of a sandwich or a salad, then veggies or a piece of fruit for a snack, then dinner is at 5:30 - which I'm still happy to say is very much limited in portion compared to pre-surgery. I am horrible at night though, from 7 on I'm snacking on something...1 cup of tortilla chips and salsa w/protein or pretzels w/peanut butter, or Protein drinks. I'm going to at least try and stop the night Snacks...they seem superfluous and a hold over from when I wasn't eating much and needed extra Protein.< /p>

It is never hard for me to get Water in now that I'm two years out. I've always loved the taste of cold Water and plan to try and add that for the night snacking I've gotten used to.

I appreciate all the reminders of how hard it really is to do this every moment of every day. I was so hoping the struggle would diminish...but it is just as fierce as it always has been and will likely be until I leave the earth. Let me don my armor and sword!!!!

Sounds like alot of carbs. Carbs will make it difficult to lose or maintain. Bread/Pasta/rice/cereal/potatoes and other starchy veggies should be a rare treat. Maybe a bite or two only a couple times a month. This will also decrease cravings. Try to focus on lean fat free Proteins and non starchy veggies. Ie; lettuce, cucumber, green Beans, cauliflower, broccoli etc....

Hope this helps.

I know that if I eat carbs more often than that, I can gain 2 lbs overnight and am left with cravings for more.

@longhaullingit do you have the myfitnesspal downloaded on your phone? I keep my carbs under 40 daily. thats the only way I can see actually how many I have had per day. it records everything you take in if you use it correctly an that is a gauge for everything...calories, fats, carb counter etc...the more simple carbs you eat the more your brain will crave an keep blood sugar going up an down. you may already have this an use it I dont no...but eating all them carbs everyday it will definitly stop the weight loss. I dont even keep it in the house. Im not only on a strict diet but I put the hubs on it as well. he has to watch his glucose so we both read labels an watch everything. Im not saying Im perfect Iv cheated by taking a bite here or there over the past 2 months but its treat like...not a daily thing in our diet. might want to think about cutting down on the granola, the only fruit I have snacked on is grapes, I buy the small single lunch size servings of the fruit cups that have the splenda an no sugar in them...I take one drain out the juice and add it to some ff cottage cheese sprinkle some stevia on it, an I do get the carb smart from krogers their yogart cups..no fruit in them..might want to increas the snack to a Protein...? I use philly cheese an use a sliced turkey add the philly in it roll it up an its quick an easy...just some tips on what is easy...hope this helps an can maybe get ya back on track..:) keep us posted! :)