Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss

I am so frustrated with my sleeve. I had my surgery the last week in January 2013. I have lost zero pounds. I was told by my doctor it would be 3-4 months before seeing a restriction. I was also told I am not losing because I lost 75 pounds with my band. I was told not eating enough. I think I am just now seeing a restriction. I am now doing weight training, have a personal trainer and doing weights three times a week. I am not doing much cardio. I keep my calories at a 1000 or less. I do get my Proteins in everyday and most days my Water. I have wished for my band back. I had to have it removed because of leaks. Please help!!

OMG, I am so sorry. This is our worst fear. It's just so wrong that you have worked this hard and not gotten anywhere. How close to goal are you? I know it gets harder the closer you get but it sounds like you have been very patient.

Thanks for responding. At one point I was about 10 pounds away, currently 20 pounds my goal and 30 from the doctor goal. I had surgery in Mexico. The goal I gave was the band goal. I think it is good no gain since the sleeve

It's good that you can see the positive side - that you've kept so much weight off!

Without knowing your weight/height it's hard to say for sure, but if you're really only eating 1000 calories a day and exercising regularly, there may be something else going on that's affecting your metabolism - like thyroid issues. Or - is it possible that you're letting calories sneak in?

Might be a good idea to do a couple days of liquids (or the 5 day pouch test) to reset your restriction. Maybe you can give yourself a fresh start. The beautiful thing about the sleeve vs the band is that you can eat veggies and dense Proteins without worrying about getting stuck - and they fill you up nicely.

I wish you luck in achieving your goal in time - or the peace to accept where you are, which sounds like a pretty decent place to maintain!

What is the 5 day pouch test? At first I was told not eating enough calories and that was the reason for no weight loss. I have increase my workout. I wasn't doing cardio because of work schedule, now doing both. We will see.

I would google the 5 day pouch test. I've seen lots of references to it, but don't have a link on hand. I think it's mostly going back to liquids for a few dats, but not sure of the details. But I've seen people say that it helped them, so worth trying!

Cute 1, I do not lose if I go below 1100 calories a day. It's a viscous cycle! I am comfortable eating 900, but can't lose-my body goes into starvation mode and stores..... I lose at 1200 calories a day, but at that amount I feel hungry all the time and want to eat constantly...... Ugh, I have not found anyone else with this issue.

I just recently changed to a new pcp and she is also a nutritionist and going to try to help me with this.

How are you doing?

Well I think I am the doing the same as you. Let me tell you I had my surgery in Mexico a year this month. I started talking to them and, faxed a food diary in December. They told me I wasn't eating enough. They want me to eat 1100 to 1200 per day which is 400 calories increase. I didn't loose any but think more carbs with the holiday. They then told me to eat red meat and that is helping. I do feel a restriction now. I have lost 5 pounds. I think steak is holding me for four hours now so I don't graze all day. Steak has more calories, Protein and less carb. How much weight have you lost? Did you have a band first?

I was banded in 07 at 240. I lost 39 pounds and have flexed 20 up and down since. I am at 219 now and still banded, but looking into the sleeve.

Recently I have high Iron, low riboflavin, low D, Calcium, B6 sodium and potassium.

My doctor took soy away, added red meat back into my diet and more carbs(wheat/oats).

I just started this week, so we will see. This is a drastic change. I like using the Meal Replacement drinks, so eating is work. Ha ha! I have to pay attention and not eat too much, but actually eat.... Ugh.

I have a tendency to wait and start eating later in the day and then snack, graze all evening. I am readjusting once again. I am sure it will be good, even I figure how to get enough wheat, veggies, Protein and stay under in calories

I was banded initially. I had no weight loss at first. I decided to go in for a adjustment. I had a leak then. After a fight with insurance, they agreed to pay. I loss 85 pounds then. In 2013 I had the band removed and then a sleeve after discovering I had a slippage. They are telling me no weight loss since so close to goal. I think I may like the sleeve better since able to eat everything. I do want to get 25 pounds off lol

I have done better focusing on low carb vs calories.

Also literally eat Protein first. Like I was having chicken on salad and nut advised me to eat the chicken before digging into any lettuce. The dense Protein presses against the "receptors" at bottom of sleeve which is a banana shaped stomach.

Thanks. I am keeping my carb around 30, less some days. I am eating 60 or more Proteins per day. My calorie intake average around 700. It is better now. Still eating low carb and high Protein. I am grateful to this site and all the advice.

I actually aimed for 60 grams of Protein and 4 veggies, a couple of fruit a day. That perry much gets you where ya need to be, but I have still never lost very well and always get stuck, no matter how careful. I have found I am more often wearing non dressy clothes, so they do not constrict the band. Another reason Switching to the sleeve would be great, is if I could actually dress nice again.

I'm going through the stages of having revision surgery - my nutritionist has been emphasizing that after I get sleeved - I have to do "high protein" - low-carb. They have me following the plan now as a "pre-op" diet although I'm still waiting for approval