Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my procedure(s) on Minday the 27th. I'm having tremendous post-op pain and my doctor "doesn't believe" in pain meds so he gave me 5-325 norcos. Now mind you, besides the bypass, I had two hernia and an esophogeal repair. I'm not sure what's worse, the pain from incisions or the pain from the gas still trapped. Any ideas in how to get that gas moving? Seeing the surgeon tomorrow but haven't slept in three days.

Walk walk walk! I had the sleeve done but that's what got the gas right out. I was walking, at my doctor's request, within a few hours of my operation. I also laid on my right side for a few mins and tons of air came out that way. I'm not sure if you can do that due to pain, but the walking is highly encouraged. If I felt too much gas pain, I did a lap on the hospital floor and once I was home I continued until it all finally went away.

Lots of luck. It will get better soon.

Edited by LaLoLaughs

It does sound like you are dealing with gas pain and all the Vicodin in the world won't get rid of it. You are on a pretty decent narcotic for pain with the Norco which is just another brand of Vicodin. I used the generic Simethicone, which is available over the counter as a chewable to help reduce gas pain. I would also agree that walking will help get the gas moving out of your body. I would say the bad gas for me lasted about a week. It will pass.

Go see dr immediately. I was home less than one day after bypass and thought I had bad gas. Turned out I had a twisted bowel. Not saying your going thru that but better to be safe than sorry. I never knew so much could go wrong. 7 surgeries a month in the hospital and on a ventilator. Your probably fine but see someone now just to be sure. If it's that painful go to ER!!!!!

Thank you all! I did go and I'm just more sensitive I guess. And since I take the same strength norcos for pain on a weekly (but not daily) basis, I built up some tolerance. I'm doing better...now if I could only Fart!!! Lol ;)

Edited by skinnyme123

Right now 5 am up all night with incredible shoulder pain that's radiating to my back. Holy Crap! It's scary and hard to believe it's just gas but feeling a bit reassured now that I've read some of these posts.

Has anyone experienced numbness in legs, thighs? I worry about clots and my tongue is frickin' sore and red. Good Golly Miss Molly! I'm a tad older than some and had what they termed a "giant" hernia that they weren't ready for....so they apparently had to move my entire stomach from my chest cavity and back down to where it should be. So I guess they had to add a wee bit more air and were in there a little longer.

I'm not loving this first week at home after 4 days in hospital.

Thanks for listening....

Ruth...omg the shoulder Pain!!! I know, I had my hubby massage myyl shoulder when it got too bad! It helps! Now, the nurse yesterday recommended prune juice to help with gas and/or bm and viola! This morning I played a tune Moazart would be impressed by!! :D I drank it slowly throughout the afternoon and only 3oz mixed with 3oz of Water but I swear that's what helped. Good luck my dear! We're going to do great!!

yes, my shoulder pain got me sent to the ER 7 days post op... luckily there was no leak or abscess which my doc said usually shows early signs around this time. However, d/t lapband removal, hernia repair and bypass- I too was under longer with prolonged period of 5+ hrs of CO2 being pumped into my abd...and they said I still had alot of air in my abd which puts pressure on your diaphragm sending sensory nerve pain to your shoulder! Walking and pain meds helped. Gas is finally fading at post op day 11, but incision site under left rib hurts. I had a drain there prior to hospital discharge too, so that "hole" is closing.

Omg thought it was just me!! Incision site KILLS! And umbilical repair site. Try prune juice. 6oz mixed with 4oz fruit juice and 4oz water....LIFESAVER!!! Anyone EVER says we took the easy way, I'll punch 'em in the neck!! Lol...j/k I'm all talk...but really! Soooo not the easy way. For me, the only way. We'll get through this stronger and healthier!!!!

Trying to walk more, feeling better but again last night shoulder pain severe. Will walk more goddamit! Hurts like a sonofabitch. You say prune juice helps? And yes, Skinnyme, I'm with you regarding those that think we're doing this the easy way. I'll hold them while you punch them....lol.

Thanks for the tips.

Yes prune juice absolutely helps. I can pretty much guarantee that. First day I drank four ounces of prune juice mixed with 4 ounces of Water and within 12 hours I expelled gas in a song lol. you'll be grateful. The next day I did the same thing and with another 12 hours I had my first bm which was liquid but it has been constant and regular since. My surgeon recommended it as an healthy alternative. And since there is no taste I have since added some fruit juice to it and still do equal amounts of water. I have not had any gas since. But never trust a fart lol!!!!

Edited by skinnyme123

And RuthFour, if you gay get anyone yo massage your shoulders it helps too. Big time. My husband did it for me in the hospital. Wouldn't have survived the pain otherwise.