Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 days to surgery and I'm scared to death

I am literally afraid of this surgery. It's not the food or the lack of it that is related to the surgery -- my mind has a hard time accepting having part of my stomach cut off.

I know it would improve my health and I can avoid a lot of health issues, but this is difficult. If you are sick or dying, you would certainly let someone do surgery on you. This feels different because it's something I'm doing to myself willingly. I worry about long term problems. (What if there are complications in 15 years?)

Did anyone else go through this?

Does anyone have any helpful comments or words of encouragement?

MANY THANKS!

Edited by Tashabella

Tasha,

In my humble opinion, you are sick and prematurely dying. Obesity is a disease which causes other issues that do considerably shorten your life span. I have Diabetes Type II, neuropathy, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sleep apnea. All due to obesity, and my BMI is 36. However you choose to fight your obesity, whether it is WLS or some other way, you are working to save your own life.

Best wishes for good choices.

If you had cancer that could be cured by surgery would you hesitate for one second? Of course not! There shouldn't be such a stigma attached to WLS and we all need to let the world know!!

I also felt strange, as if I was butchering my body somehow... Defacing it. But obesity has done more damage to my body, my health, my appearance, my opportunities, and my life than any surgery could ever cause. Yes, I was afraid. Yes, recovery was hard. But I am now 7 weeks out now and 1/3 to my goal. It is a new life. Change is hard. But your life is worth it.

The anxiety/fear is normal. This is major, life-changing surgery...if you weren't nervous, then you should panic! ;) :P

This part of the process was undoubtedly the most difficult for my wife and I. However, it is all a distant memory now. I was sleeved May 8, 2013 and my wife July 8, 2013. While my surgery and recovery were textbook (driving two days post-op, back to work after a week), hers was a bit more challenging. She had two hernias repaired and it took about 4-5 weeks for her to get over the surgery, i.e. quit complainin'! :lol:

All joking aside, that period of time is a distant memory. I am down 130 lbs...have fluctuated between 205 and 210 for about 9 months. My wife is down 85 lbs. and although she wants to lose more, she looks incredible!

I can honestly say, this procedure has been a blessing for us. We both feel like we've been given a second chance..and we're making the most of it!

You asked for comments/words of encouragement...pray about it, then make the decision that is best for you and yours.

Good luck!

@@Tashabella can you tell me what part of Maryland you are in? I am in Maryland as well, and maybe I can provide some support to you. I'm Michelle.

I don't really have any advice, but I am having the exact same concerns. I don't want there to be any complications way down the road that I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life, and being only 22 that's a long time hopefully. I wish I had some advice or something to offer you, but just know that you're not alone in your worries :) hopefully someone else who has more insight than I will reply and give us both peace of mind.

I had the eebie jeebies about bypass and my organs being rearranged, the thought of having most of my stomach taken out didn't bother me.

I still have a stomach, it's just smaller ????

I was terrified of leaks. I had read too many horror stories (and remember leaks are very rare)! I am 6 weeks out on Monday and would do this all over again!

Good luck!

I am literally afraid of this surgery. It's not the food or the lack of it that is related to the surgery -- my mind has a hard time accepting having part of my stomach cut off.

I know it would improve my health and I can avoid a lot of health issues, but this is difficult. If you are sick or dying, you would certainly let someone do surgery on you. This feels different because it's something I'm doing to myself willingly. I worry about long term problems. (What if there are complications in 15 years?)

Did anyone else go through this?

Does anyone have any helpful comments or words of encouragement?

MANY THANKS!

Tashabella: Since I'm in a similar boat right now, I don't have any words of wisdom to offer other than to stay busy with other things and try not to worry. Anxiety will not serve us well. My surgery is on 11/10; just got the new date yesterday; was originally scheduled for 12/8. When I got the call yesterday, my mind went into overdrive thinking about all I have to do at work and home prior to surgery.

Like so many others have said in different ways -- we are doing this to save our lives and improve our health. Everything will be fine, which is what I'm choosing to believe. Surgery makes me nervous too! But having had one other surgery in my entire life (I'll be 59 on Friday) and a few colonoscopies, I know this surgery will be the best nap I'll have had in a long time :D Hang in there!

Tashabella, you must have read my mind! i am feeling all the same things you are feeling as it gets closer and closer. I was going to post something similar and then saw your post! I'm sorry i don't have words of encouragement right now but just wanted to let you know someone else feels the same way!

We will get through this!

I was more afraid of the bypass, having everything re routed. The sleeve didn't bother me. In fact I looked forward to having 85% less stomach. I could eat such large amounts it was pathetic. I think we all, to some degree are scared at what we did to ourselves to be in this situation. I'm not concerned with "down the road" a few years. We've been left with a stomach...nothing re-routed just smaller. I hope you decide to go through with it. Hugs

Thank you all so much for your support and sharing that you have now or have had the same feelings as me.

I will pray about it.

It makes me feel better to hear people say they would do it again.

I've never really had any major surgery so it does freak me out.

I am really glad that I have your support!!!

I guess a few of us will be going on this journey together starting on the 10th or near then. We will have to stay in touch and check in.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!