Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is carbonated Water allowed or is it better to stay away. I'm only 11 days post op.

I was told nothing with carbonation.

I was banded over 7 months ago and the result is no carbonation for me. Ever. I tried it just recently and it does not sit well at all. My surgeon told me no carbonation, but of course I had to try it. :)

I was told 'eventually you might like it again'......as a fizz Water fan preOp, I lost all desire for it for several years.

Eventually my taste for it came back. Also I learned to drink it in a pottery mug, as the glaze typically did something to kill much of the carbonation without affecting the flavor much. (Magniesium oxide....or was it Iron oxide?........ reacting with the CO2....)

Personally I had migrated in the 80s from any kind of soda pop 'diet' or otherwise, to various spring waters.

My own surgeon was ambivalent about a lot of things saying 'your tastes will change considerably', and over time something you don't like now likely will change.

Don't be in a hurry with carbonated Water. In a year or 2 you may tolerate it quite well. Or maybe not.

This close to postOp I don't think it's a good idea.

You should check with your surgeon's protocol. Most of them say no but not all. Same for caffeine, NSAIDS, and other items. Not all doctors have the same opinions on what you should or should not ingest.

Thank you all so much! I will definitely stay away!

In the beginning carbonation will gas you up. I've had one soda since surgery a year and a half ago and did fine with it. I drank it very slowly. Enjoyed it, but didn't love it. I'm pretty much over them and so glad, as it was an expensive habit. My surgeon told me he didn't mind diet soda if I could tolerate them, and I can, but no longer care about them.

I was told no caffeine, sodas, or carbonated drinks of any kind, ever. Both by my surgeon and nutritious.

Too many NSAIDS isn't good for anyone. Especially after having any type of weight lost surgery. We no longer have enough stomach acid to help break down whats in them. Too many NSAIDS can also cause kidney damage in the long run.

Speak to your medical team. They will know what works for you since they are the ones who know your medical history.

Good luck on your journey ????

I didn't clue into the no carbonated beverage until after the surgery. I would say I have done everything I have been told from the written instructions. Except I did try diet pop (my favourite bad habit). I have had no problem at all. I know. this doesn't mean It's for everyone. If I had started having symptoms ,burps or gas, I think I would have stayed away. But I am delighted by be able to indulge.

Edited by dalmania

Speak with your Dr...I have been banded almost 4 years now...in the beginning NO carbonated drinks. Period.

But now I do....I like Beer, Pellegrino, and a few others....

It's all about "Listening" to your band...and that can take some practice....My Dr. asked me some key questions, then gave me the go ahead with certain conditions...one of which NEVER with, before or after eating....any liquids are bad for me under those conditions, carbonated drinks...well, I don't even want to imagine the harm.