Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I expect a stall?

I was sleeved on October 22, 2014.

I have made what I think is a very quick recovery.

I came home a day early. This morning I walked six miles. I'm planning to do 6 miles a day for the first three weeks and then get it up to 10 miles a day. Right now I'm doing 2 miles in the morning, 2 mid afternoon and 2 in the evening.

The scale keeps on falling.

Everthing is sugar free.

Should I expect a stall even with the exercise I'm doing everyday?

I'm planning to return to work next week which is very labor intensive, however I'm going to let my employees actually do the heavy lifting and the hard work for once. I'm going to start slow for when I return to work and maybe work from 8am to 11am daily and then take off and try to build up from there. I own the company so its not like I can get fired. LOL.

This surgery has greatly impacted me already and I've also offered to all of my employees who my company insures that since our health plan won't cover sleeving, if they go to Mexico and pay for the air fare to and from, I'll pay for the surgery should anyone on the insurance plan need it... meaning immediate family members. I've told my employees I'll cover a max of $5500.00 for sleeving. I think more employers need to offer this.

It seems like a lot, but in the end, I think it will make my insurance premiums go down.

my best advice would be to NOT base your success indicator solely on the scale. Think about how awesome it's going to be when you drop size after size. You are going for a long term solution and that might include the occasional plateau. I'm hearing that it isn't always the simple equation. Hang in there and great job!

I'm currently a size 36. Aim is for a size 32. And your right. The scale really doesn't determine it, it will be the sizes of my clothes.

Odds are you will stall at some point. But it sounds like you are mentally prepared to roll with it. I skipped the 3 week stall (at least I think I did, I never weighed very often early on). But I hit a month long stall at 6 weeks out. In fact, I gained 3 pounds, but dropped a whole pant size in that month. Just goes to show the numbers are irrelevent.

Good for you on your company WLS policy! I am self employed and there are no individual plans available in my state that cover WLS so I went self pay to Mexico. At least I had a big medical deduction on my Schedule A last year!

What an amazing offer you have made to your employees. Not very many people would do that.

I am looking at the bottom line... in the long term, it could save more on health insurance costs. I think more corporate companies need to realize this. If I were the CEO of a huge million dollar company in the US, I definitely would not cover WLS in the US, but I'd offer an incentive for having it done in Mexico and also have an agreement worked out with certain providers...even airline carries so you get discounts etc. That's better than nothing.

I say I would not cover it in the US because it is too expensive. Our health care system in the US is a wreck.

I was sleeved on October 22, 2014.

I have made what I think is a very quick recovery.

I came home a day early. This morning I walked six miles. I'm planning to do 6 miles a day for the first three weeks and then get it up to 10 miles a day. Right now I'm doing 2 miles in the morning, 2 mid afternoon and 2 in the evening.

The scale keeps on falling.

Everthing is sugar free.

Should I expect a stall even with the exercise I'm doing everyday?

I'm planning to return to work next week which is very labor intensive, however I'm going to let my employees actually do the heavy lifting and the hard work for once. I'm going to start slow for when I return to work and maybe work from 8am to 11am daily and then take off and try to build up from there. I own the company so its not like I can get fired. LOL.

This surgery has greatly impacted me already and I've also offered to all of my employees who my company insures that since our health plan won't cover sleeving, if they go to Mexico and pay for the air fare to and from, I'll pay for the surgery should anyone on the insurance plan need it... meaning immediate family members. I've told my employees I'll cover a max of $5500.00 for sleeving. I think more employers need to offer this.

It seems like a lot, but in the end, I think it will make my insurance premiums go down.

I wish more employers were like you. You obviously understand that obesity is a serious health risk. I work for a State Agency and our State insurance does not cover any Weight loss treatment. However it will pay several thousand dollars a month for my insulin, Diabetic pills, cholesterol meds, blood pressure medications and neuropathy meds; not to mention doctor visits and a C-PAP machine. I can't begin to estimate how many others could say the same. Can we say a-s-i-n-i-n-e?

Well, change starts with people. I'd write a letter to the head of your department and point out how much is being spent on these things and then includes the pros and cons of gastric sleeve surgery. I'd point out that they would stand to save more money in the long run if they would offer an incentive to help you pay for it. Even if they don't cover it all, even half the cost of surgery in Mexico is a huge step.

I also erred on the side of caution and took out large signature loan just to be on the safe side. I ended up not needing it so I'll pay it back over a 6 month period to stay in the good graces of my bank. They don't like it when you take out a loan and then pay it right off.

Another point I was going to make, most people have decent credit and can put the cost on a credit card or take out a loan for the surgery in Mexico.