Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post-op, bruised and very sore

I had my surgery on Oct. 20. I was a revision from band to sleeve. I still feel horrible. The larger incision on my right side still is pulling very deep. It hurts to get up and down. No thoughts of any exercise here. I am, however having no trouble with fluids or Protein Shakes. Anyone else still feel pitiful?

I don't feel pitiful still but I'm sorry you do. Days 1-2 were pretty sucky with alot of nausea, vomiting and coughing which hurt the hell out of my incision sites which are tight. Sending good thoughts to you right........now!

I'm 8 days out from my revision from band to sleeve. I was very sore and had a hard time the first few days, but it gets better. my incision where they removed the port is the most tender, and if I do a lot of walking I use my codeine Syrup because it gets very painful. Other than that, I just have the constant shooting pain of gas in my left shoulder, but everything else has passed. I'm sorry that you are still feeling unwell, but it will get better.

Somewhere between 3-4 weeks magically all the muscle pain just went woosh and was gone. The first week was tough, I was thanking my trainer for making me do a million squats they helped me getting up and down like I can't tell you.

Second week was much better than the first I was sleeping flat on my back in the bed with my partner but I was moving in bed slowly. If I had to move from one side to another it was painful and I woke fully up to do it.

Two and half weeks out I worked a non profit event it was tough but it was good to do, I walked over 5 miles and do a lot of good for my community. And mostly I found out I could do it, I hit a wall right before the event ended but I still kept going. I was in pain the next day and I took a muscle relaxant that night but I was still moving.

I was still feeling some muscle pain at the incision sites not bad pain just some pain when I twisted or lifted something or rolled over at night and that just disappeared one day. Since then I have been great.

So it does get better, think back to your band for me healing was similar to the band and with the 9-10 band surgeries I had over 10 plus years it was old hat for me.

Mine were two separate surgeries. From a pain and misery perspective, they were different and you are experiencing both:

-Band removal - oh that port incision was sore! Then there was a big weird... hollow spot inside me that did eventually fill up. I Celebrate being free of that dang band and it's stupid port too!

-Sleeve - stomach muscle discomfort due to hernia repair, but main issue was tiredness, hard to stay hydrated etc. I will be honest, I felt pretty bad for many weeks and wasn't back to feeling fully human till maybe 10-12 weeks post op.

I didn't resume any kind of serious activity until 6-8 weeks post op...

Be gentle with yourself and give yourself time to heal. Easy peasy walks are the best at first...