Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First day of liquid diet

So it has begun. My first day. First day of many. I hope the next 10 days go by fast. I'm excited to have made it this far but realize I am so unprepared around the house for the next 10......no wait the rest of my life. I need to clean the refrigerator and cabinets out. Restock with quick Water and cases of Water supplements. broth. Jello.

My wife told me this morning to not forget that the rest of the family has to eat also. I'm the cook and shopper. At least she is coming around and getting excited also for a new me.

Ah, glad someone else feels "unprepared" going into the liquid diet. I have 15 days of it, starts tomorrow. Today I had my "Oh crap, so not ready for this" moment and threw away some food that I know is going to go bad over the next 2 weeks, like left overs, my coffee Creamer (AHHH!), etc. We went shopping last night for the broth, Jello, shakes, powders. Trying to feel prepared but man, oh man. When i read your post above I thought - YEP!

How was Day 1? Are you sick? Tired? Crabby? They have me doing 1,000 calories and liquids only (can have 2 Snacks a day that are either Jello, pudding, yogurt) but all else is Protein shakes, Water, Decaf coffee.

Much luck and success to you!

I am on day #6. To be honest I felt lethargic for the first three days. I had a caffeine headache, tired, and cranky. I found that drinking a bottle of Water helped when these feelings hit. So I've been drinking about 15 cups or anywhere from 7 to 8 bottles of water a day. You live in the bathroom. I keep my goals in mind and the shirtless pictures I took of myself for motivation. You'll be okay. If I can do it, then anyone can. Keep focused on the shrinking of your liver and a successful surgery with no complications as a goal!!!

First day was rough. I had a friends sons birthday party to go to. Drank my flavored Water while everyone else is eating cake. Not fun. But I made it. Now it's all down hill from here. I did get some broth. Need to make my Jello.

My dr has me on less than 500 cal a day. No room for snacking. Just Jello broth Protein shakes and Water. Lots of water.

I realized I'm in the middle of a mid life change. My oldest son started kindergarten and now I'm rethinking where I live and work. Trying to simplify my life. Im looking for a house closer to my child's school that also has a lot of our door activities so we can walk or ride bikes. Also looking for a less stressful job that is closer to our new potential house and school. What a time to realize all this.

Congratulations for making to this stage! I promise it will be worth it. The first 2 days are the worst, I remember I kept telling myself to keep my eye on the prize. I am now 4 weeks post op. I have lost 32 lbs. since my day of surgery and several more on that pre-op diet.

Stay motivated and shrink your liver. It will make for a very safe procedure and a speedy recovery.

Good luck to you all. Keep your eye on the prize. It is worth the effort!

Thanks! Reading all of these is helpful. Especially the part about stay focused on shrinking the liver for a safer procedure. Everyone talks about being nervous / worried about complications. Well, if that's so true than that will be even more of a reason for me to stick hard to the liquid diet.

I started this morning. By 12:15 pm I've consumed half my calories for the day (500 out of 1000). Definitely can feel the hunger but a sip of Protein shake, then sip of Water seems to be helping.

Micmt - what a storm of changes you have! My little guy started kindergarten this year too, talk about emotional! Maybe all the job change, housing change is just a sign that 2015 will be a huge year of changes for you. Wishing you a ton of success!

My Surgery is Tuesday (10/28) I have been on the liquid diet for five weeks. My liquid diet is Premier Protein shakes 3x per day. I have cheated by having a piece of white meat chicken three times, extra Premier's a few times when I went to Baseball games. (Going to Games was the hardest part. No Garlic fries) By my pre-op appointment, I had lost 25 pounds. I'm not hungry. I do not think about food ALL the time. I learned a lot about myself. I would have been allowed raw veggies, but they wound up tasting like metal, so I left them behind. You can do the liquid diet. Tomorrow I shift to Clear Liquids. broth, etc. I'll be mixing chicken broth with veggie broth and having lots of Jello. I am actually excited about this.

Keep Going. You can do it. I've already read the Grey books. too bad.

My Surgery is Tuesday (10/28) I have been on the liquid diet for five weeks. My liquid diet is Premier Protein shakes 3x per day. I have cheated by having a piece of white meat chicken three times, extra Premier's a few times when I went to Baseball games. (Going to Games was the hardest part. No Garlic fries) By my pre-op appointment, I had lost 25 pounds. I'm not hungry. I do not think about food ALL the time. I learned a lot about myself. I would have been allowed raw veggies, but they wound up tasting like metal, so I left them behind. You can do the liquid diet. Tomorrow I shift to Clear Liquids. broth, etc. I'll be mixing chicken broth with veggie broth and having lots of Jello. I am actually excited about this.

Keep Going. You can do it. I've already read the Grey books. too bad.

Oh gosh FIVE weeks?? How many weeks of liquids post op??

I am currently 20 days out from my surgery that I had on Oct 8th. I have had no complications and feel absolutely amazing. But yes, the 2 week liquid diet at the beginning before surgery was brutal for the first few days. After you get through the first 3 days it gets way easier as your body and mind adjust. '

Do NOT cheat. These doctors are not screwing around. My Dr. has sewn people back up on multiple occasions after finding food in their stomach on the operating table. It is tough, but very much worth it.

I am just now starting to introduce soft mushy foods to my diet and it is like I am eating for the first time all over again. This will be the best decision you have ever made for your life and your health. Don't let something as small as a short term liquid diet ruin your chances of a better life. Remember that it is only temporary.

Best of luck to everyone. Love and light

I am on day 2 of 2 weeks of liquid only diet. Day 1 wasn't so bad, but today has been horrible. I have an awful headache and the shakes. I am feeling very emotional too. I am hoping this gets better soon. How soon did everyone else start to feel better?

Been on pre op diet for about 10 days now . Gets easier after 3rd/4th day. The fortnight from hell, my Surgeon calls it.

Day 3 is the break through. I struggled HARD day 1 in the evening...headache and feeling sick. Day 2 I was so emotional, crying about wanting one last chipolte burrito. Day 3 it's like I'm not suffering or hungry or sick, oddly enough I have tons of energy and am in a good mood. I was tempted to chest, even planned it out but now so glad I didnt.